Chantecaille Bengals Palette

Chantecaille’s holiday offering this year was the Bengali Collection, a charitable follow-up to their Protected Paradise palettes. 5% of the palette’s $117 pricetag goes to an organization called TRAFFIC, whose mission is “to ensure that trade in wild plants and animals is not a threat to the conservation of nature.”

The Bengali palette contains four shadows, a blush, and a highlighter. Though the eyeshadow color combinations are not the most original (hunter green and peach, silvered beige and plum-brown), the powders are all exquisitely soft — a nice reminder of how luxurious Chantecaille is. The collection also includes a bronzer and a pressed powder, each $85 and embossed with a tiger’s head.

It annoys me just a bit that they called everything “Bengali” instead of “Bengal” — it feels needlessly exoticized. Bengal (accent on the second syllable) is a state in India, known for its tigers.

6 Responses to “Chantecaille Bengals Palette”

• Vanessa says:

>geez hunny, your like the swatch queen! lol i hope its cool if i add ya :)

• Valerie says:

>Is that like Afghanastinani? :-)

(circa The Office, Casino Night episode, I think?)

• The Mighty J says:

>Hey Karla – Bengal is a state in India alright , but things and people from Bengal as well as my own native land Bangladesh are called Bengali, kwim? I solely bought this just because its called the Bengali Palette LOL

>Hey Mighty J,

I hear you, and I thought long and hard about why it bothered me. People/things from Bengal are Bengali, no doubt, but the palette is about the tigers, which (in America) are always referred to “Bengal tigers.” If I put on an accent every time I pronounced a common word of foreign origin, that would seem just as affected. Regardless, it’s a beautiful palette, and I’m sure it is stunning on you.

• Blushaholic says:

>Hi, Karla!

I’m not sure where to put this, but I was wondering if you could swatch the NARS blushes? I’m trying to make some very hard decisions, buying them online. :) Swatches, especially yours, would be AMAZING.

Thanks!