CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain Markers

I recently got interested in lipstains as a lazy way to keep my makeup on all day. The idea of applying lip color once, very carefully, in the morning, and then not reapplying all day is very appealing. This inspired me to swatch Stila’s Lip Rouge markers, but their $20 price tag and short list of similar-looking colors made me curious about Covergirl’s latest offering.

The primary reason I hesitate to buy drugstore makeup (and the reason I usually don’t swatch it) is the lack of testers. I realize not having testers keeps the prices down, and that the testers would get pretty gross, but — especially in this case — the packaging tells me nothing about the actual colors of the lipstain. And so, in a moment of total insanity, I bought them all.

Based on my arm, Teasing Blush looked like my kind of color. It was bright on my lips, a poppy or bright wine shade. This discouraged me from moving on to any higher number. The marker tip felt a bit dry, even on first opening, and I had to work a bit to make sure the color was consistent. I gave it a few minutes to set, then ate a bowl of cereal (the ultimate test!). It did not last, and it wore off unevenly, meaning I had to reapply before going anywhere. First objective: failed.

Outlast also didn’t pass the Chapstick test: given time to set, the color still came off on my tube of chapstick.

I also tried Everbloom Kiss, and it was a lighter, safer version of Teasing Blush… but looked pretty similar.

Covergirl lipstains are water-based; they feel very light and dry quickly. They also look like a tint — they don’t give a lot of coverage, and I think this makes one look like another. Teasing Blush and Everbloom Kiss weren’t really different enough to make me want both.

The only other lipstain I’ve put through this kind of testing is MAC’s Not So Shy!, and I preferred it. MAC’s stain is more like a gel — it takes a little longer to set, but the color lasts perfectly through multiple meals. (And it doesn’t come off on my chapstick.)

Covergirl lipstains are $7 – 8 at full price, though if you can wait, you’ll eventually get a Buy One, Get One Free offer. They also have a somewhat sweet smell, which I detected more with 10 swatches on my arm than just one shade on my lips. (This also made me wonder whether some shades were more fragranced than others.) I’d recommend against applying a lipstain when your lips are scuffed, cracked, feathering, etc., because the stain will adhere to the damaged part better… which can make your lips look like they’re bleeding. (Ew.)

Covergirl Outlast Lipstains: Lip stains, lip stain, lipstain, Everbloom Kiss, Berry Smooch, Bit of Blossom, Teasing Blush, Sassy Mauve, Plum Pout, Coy Coral, Flirty Nude, Wild Berry Wink, Cinnamon Smile

19 Responses to “CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain Markers”

• Katie says:

>OMG!!! I LOVE THAT YOU BOUGHT THEM ALL TO TEST!! HAHAHAHAHA!! Teasing Blush is exactly the type of color I would look for too. Too bad they didn’t hold up to your testing. I really appreciate your swatches – they help me out a lot. (oh and re: Teasing Blush – what lip items in other brands match that color – it’s a great warm corally pink)

• Katee "e-polishblog" says:

>Were these hard to get off of your arm? haha

>I could make you a long list of lip products that I like (since I seem to buy the same or similar colors over and over — Clinique’s Honey Blush! Chanel’s Exquise!), but the thing that looks most like Teasing Blush is a Stila lip pencil: the Contour #25. It’s a bright poppy, and the most beautiful bright lip I’ve found for myself. Just be sure to blot so it doesn’t come off on your teeth!

>I was definitely worried about that. I washed with soap and water, which took almost everything off, then followed that with Neutrogena’s One-Step Gentle Cleanser. That took off everything except Plum Pout, which did leave a pink square that lasted until the next day.

• The Mighty J says:

>I can’t believe you bought them all – the things you do for your blog and us readers LOL I saw them instore the other day and yah, they are pretty much a waste of money IMO. Can you return them?

• P-ham says:

>Thanks so much for the swatches. I was looking into these too!

• firefly says:

>You are one dedicated blogger. :)

• Meilily says:

>Thanks! These are great swatches, especially since it’s so hard to tell what these lip stains will actually look like based on their tube color.

• asiyakei says:

>I bought two of these today but I don’t actually mind them as they’re quite cheap and look nice (so far) on my lips. I have 425 and 410… no idea which colour name is which!

• Kitty says:

>Thanks so much for testing these. I was thinking of trying these but if they don’t last then it kind of negates the need for them…

• MariahGem says:

>Aw, sorry you bought them just to see that they suck. But hey, now we all know!

I hope their returnable. And omg, I feel for your poor arm! Are you still stained?

• Traci Wickett says:

>Flirty Nude made my lips look redder than red. I was so disappointed. :( It was such a shock.

• Story of the Stone says:

>Your blog = the awesomeness!

• dani_california says:

>Thanks for swatching these. I’m a lip stain devotee and was really excited to see these because they are cheaper then most stains I’ve used (bentint, vincent longo etc.)
    I bought everbloom kiss to test drive. The color isn’t great for (a little too cool) but overall I like the product so far. I applied 2 thin layers (letting each layer set WELL before applying anything on top. Once set, I ate an omelette and the color faded only slightly. It may not be perfect, but for the price, it’s pretty good

• Vy says:

>Thank you for your “temporary moment of insanity”–I’ve been looking all over for a swatch of these colors! I normally don’t like stains, but that was back when the formulas were…not that great and left my lips uncomfortably dry. Now I am sparked with curiosity…

• Girl with Curl says:

>Thank you so much for this review. I just bought Plum Pout last night thinking it would be natural looking and I was like whoa, this is a bit much. At least with your swatches, since the drugstore doesn’t have testers like you said, I can judge the colors better.

• Taylor says:

>thanks for doing this. I would have thought they would all turn to that nasty cheap fuschia color everything turns into, or just an orange.. and all look identical. I like Berry Smooch. I only get DS makeup when its BOGOF..but this was a great review. :D

• SweetTea says:

>I just purchased Berry Smooch and Plum Pout last night bc they were BOGO free. I put both on the back of my hand and the remnants of Plum Pout are still there! LOL I wore Berry Smooch on the lips topped with MAC lipgelee in Slicked Pink and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the results!! Thanks so much for the swatches–now I know what colors to go back and get:)

• Ooh I just want them all. CoverGirl lipsticks are always the best!