Dior Moonlight Quint Tutorial

I heard from quite a few readers that they’d bought a Dior eyeshadow quint, and then didn’t know how to really use it to its best advantage. Fortunately, jdavis07 — who is both really, really, ridiculously good-looking and extraordinarily talented in the field of makeup application — agreed to create a step-by-step tutorial for the youtube incompetent (me). The biggest lesson I took away? Don’t over-blend. Click here for swatches of the Moonlight quint she used.

Anyway, here is the look she’s created for us (I’ll repeat it again at the end):

Dior Moonlight Quint Tutorial (jdavis07)
Here is my naked eye:

For me, the first step in any look is
to apply Urban Decay Primer Potion. Any base will do (this one happens to be my favorite) — it helps keep everything in place and keeps the eyeshadow from creasing.

Here’s what that looks like once it’s been blended in.

Next, I apply MAC’s Painterly Paint Pot lightly all over the lid. This works as a primer, helping the eyeshadow color show up more, and giving it something to stick to.
Here’s what that looks like once it’s been blended in.

Now the eyeshadow! Today I’m using Dior’s Moonlight eyeshadow quint.

I apply the pinky shadow (top right) on inner half of my lid, using my Posh eyeshadow brush.

Here’s what that looks like.

Next I take the taupe shadow and apply it to the outer half of my lid, using the same brush.

Next, I take the shimmery charcoal shade and apply it to my crease and outer-v. I’m using my Essence of Beauty Crease Brush lightly, with a windshield wiper motion and blending it up towards brow bone.

I then take the white shadow and apply it to my brow bone and blend with the charcoal shadow.

Next I apply the charcoal/black shadow to the outer third of my lower lashline using my Stila liner brush. I also apply the peach shade to the inner corners of eye using the same brush.

The next step is applying your eyeliner. I used L’Oreal HIP Cream Liner in Black and my Ulta professional slanted/angled liner brush.

I then applied Urban Decay’s 24/7 eyeliner in Zero to my waterline.

I curl my lashes and apply mascara. I used Tarte’s lash curler and CoverGirl Lashblast mascara.

My eyes are done, but I have to fill in my brows. I use Smashbox’s Brow Tech in Smashing Brunette with POSH’s eyeliner brush.

Ta-da! You’re done. Apply your foundation, powder, blush, lipstick, gloss, etc. I used Maybelline Mineral Power Powder in Light, MAC Gentle Mineralize Blush, and MAC Creme d’ Nude Cremesheen lipstick with MAC Sugarrimmed Dazzleglass over it.

15 Responses to “Dior Moonlight Quint Tutorial”

• Katee "e-polishblog" says:

>Fabulous tutorial!! She has perfect eyebrows.

• verybecca says:

>That’s frickin gorgeous. I love the liner application – why can’t I get it that perfect???!!!! *shakes fist*

• The Mighty J says:

>Ohhhh wow – that`s lovelyyyyy!!!! Thanks to both of you for showing us the way!

• Valerie says:

>OMG, I would *kill* for that cute little nose! Great tutorial! :-)

• Kristina says:

>LOVE it! Thank you, to both of you!

• MariahGem says:

>Awesome! And how did you get all your UDPP into a pot???

• I love makeup says:

>Wow that was great! I love the liner, its so prefect.

• ilovemozart says:

>Absolutely love!!! I wish i can find this palette!

• Roxy says:

>Wow! Thanks to both of you for sharing this with us. What a great tutorial.

jdavis07, you look phenomenal!

xo

• Rupa says:

>Very cool! These stills are so much more helpful to me than youtube tutorials.

• Vichaya says:

>You have perfect skin!!!!!

• Mouthwash says:

>I really love just how shimmery everything is. Only, I wear contacts, so I’m a bit worried about the particles falling into my eyes…What’s your take?

• nattyd16 says:

>Jdavis did an awesome job! you should have her back for future pic tutorials!

• Kristina says:

>To jdavis, Karla, or anyone who reads this – have you had a problem with staying power with the Dior quints? I have Stylish Move and Petal Shine, and both of them are GONE within an hour or so, even with UDPP (when nothing else budges on me)… it’s not that they fade, but that for some reason if my eyes water even slightly they streak like crazy. This just doesn’t happen to me with MAC, UD, etc… any suggestions for better application? Thank you!

• I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already Oczko Cheers!