Prestige Waterproof Eyeliners

I know you guys are going to be disappointed that today’s post isn’t accompanied by swatches, but I stumbled upon a drugstore product so stop-the-presses amazing, I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you about it.

Prestige Waterproof Eyeliners, found in CVS, Ulta, and some Walgreens (though the line is being discontinued there) are as good a quality pencil liner as any I normally chatter about.

I’d heard that Granite was a close imitation of MAC’s limited edition but greatly beloved Wolf Pearlglide liner, so I bought it and a second shade, Charcoal Brown. Reader, I am obsessed. These pencils are at the Clinique Creamshaper, UD 24/7 level — and they cost $3-4. They’re wonderfully soft, easy-to-use, and budge-proof (disclosure: I don’t put liner on my waterline). They’re also sparkle-free, if that was keeping you from buying any of the aforementioned pencils.

I didn’t find Granite and Wolf to be separated-at-birth twins. Granite had a definite blue cast, which I don’t like on myself. Wolf was pewter, grey “dirty” with gold, which looks better on me.

Charcoal Brown is VERY dark brown — nearly black. I think I trust the swatches on Prestige’s incredibly annoying and flash-driven website to accurately represent the other shades. (If you do visit, be warned that the first page has techno music that you cannot disable. Turn down your speakers.)

One final note: Prestige makes 8 kinds of pencils — “Classic” eyeliner, waterproof eyeliner, mechanical waterproof eyeliner, soft blend kohl eyeliner, “Classic” lipliner, waterproof lipliner, mechanical waterproof lipliner, and Light Shine Sheer [Lip] Pencils. Not only do these look like one another (Waterproof eye and lip look the same, the mechanical eye and lip pencils look the same…), but they’re mixed together in the display. Read your pencil carefully before buying.

15 Responses to “Prestige Waterproof Eyeliners”

• Lynn says:

>I love the w/p eye pencils! my local Walgreens has a display, all reduced/last chance..I got a bunch for around $2..I was so worried they were being disc’d,but the SA said they were re-designing and not disc’d.Hope that’s the case or I’m heading back. My absolute favorite shade is Suede,soft taupey brown that seems to go with everything.They really do last all day on me and are easy to remove.

• The Mighty J says:

>Karla – I grabbed a pack of 3 glitter ones for around CAD$5 before Xmas and they are really nice, in fact I like them more than UD and CARGO liners which I had tried at Sephora. I have worn two of the colours and gotten compliments on them, they have nice pigmentation and wear very well. If your Canadian readers want to purchase them I suggest checking out the local Rexall Pharma Plus stores. The price point is great for esp. for the quality.

>There are glitter ones?!?!???? Thanks for the great tip, Mighty J!

• The Mighty J says:

>Karla – indeed there were two choices from what I recall – a pack with silver, green & brown and another with black, silver & blue or something like that. I was complaining that I didn't need yet another black or silver glitter liner, so the SA at Rexall actually swtiched them herself in the packs, so I could get the blue, green and brown LOL Shhh don't tell anyone that LOL

• Valerie says:

>Soft you say? I need one! I need Suede, according to Lynn’s comment!

*runs around in circles*

(I’m a little extra hyper ’cause it’s FRIDAY!)

• Valerie says:

>Okay, Lynn, Karla- help me out… I checked my (closest to work) CVS on my lunch break, and I didn’t see a slot for the color Suede… is this an older/DCd color? Should I check other CVSs?

I did see a color called ‘Flannel Gray’…

And yes, I am a dork. I see things on Karla’s blog, and go out on lunch break to search for them!

>I believe the word you were looking for was “awesome.” Suede is not old; it’s still around (I’ve seen it).

Did you notice “Flanel Grey” only has one N? And “Expresso” has an X? These are mechanical pencils though, which I don’t think are as good as the non-mech. They’re perhaps a little less soft, and the lead is a bit loose in the plastic casing, so they move around as you use them. It’s a very fine hair to split, but I like the others better.

• makeupmag says:

>I collect black waterproof pencils from varied lines.

If you’ve noticed, they are mostly – if not all – made in Germany. I suspect they come from the same manufacturer because many of them are identical in colour and texture (but not price:P)! ;)

• Kitty says:

>Before I went to gel liners, I used to use Prestige liquid liner and its quality was on par with MAC. Must check out these liners at a local Priceline, hopefully they’ll have them here in Sydney.

• Lynn says:

>Valerie..I’ll be out and about today and will see if I can find some extra Suede’s..

• Lynn says:

>Valerie..sad to report,all the Walgreens I checked were sold out of Suede and they also confirmed they are discontinuing the line there..I haven’t checked CVS or Ulta,so maybe they are still around..somewhere!

• Valerie says:

>Lynn, thank you so much for checking! A very sweet MUAer found one today and said she would send to me, so it all worked out! I can’t wait to try it! Thanks again! :-)

• Lynn says:

>Valerie..oh,yay! you will love it..enjoy!

• Velyana says:

>Hi;
    I’m very intrigued with MAC Wolf Pearlglide liner, and since my local MAC sucks (really :) !) I doubt they even have the collection here. So, my q is have you ever checked Bourjois Clubbing Waterproof pencil liners?
    The Gris Tecktonik shade looks similar to Wolf, I was wondering if you could swatched them if you happen to found some :) . Thanks so much!!

>Velyana, that sounds intriguing… but unfortunately I think Bourjois has been discontinued near me. I’ll keep an eye out for them.