Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation

There are a plethora of new foundations out this spring; Bobbi Brown’s is called Skin. Skin Foundation is water-based, meant to minimize pores and look completely natural. It comes in a pump-top bottle, and offers surprisingly full coverage for a liquid foundation (I’d say it’s medium-to-full coverage). I dispensed the foundation onto a tissue, dipped a fingertip in, and made swatches with my fingers. The makeup artists at the counter said I’d get lighter coverage applying with fingers rather than a brush (but they probably meant my face, not my arm).

I don’t think I found my “Skin” match. This is my first time swatching BB foundation — I’d heard her foundations were yellow… They are yellow. My eyeball-estimate is that I might be some combination of Porcelain and Warm Ivory. (My current foundation is MAC’s Face and Body in N1.)

Like MAC, Bobbi Brown has a system — once you know your shade, you should theoretically know your shade in all her foundations and concealers. Of course, different ingredients, level of coverage, the presence or absence of SPF, etc. can affect the shade. Click here for Bobbi’s mix-n-match foundation guide. Skin Foundation is $45 for a 1 oz. bottle.
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation: Alabaster, Porcelain, Warm Ivory, Sand, Warm Sand, Beige, Warm Beige, Natural, Warm Natural, Honey, Golden, Warm Almond, Almond, Warm Walnut, Walnut, Chestnut, Espresso

18 Responses to “Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation”

• dsnypxi says:

>As far as coverage goes, this is actually a light coverage foundation that is buildable. Think of it as a step between BB’s tinted moisturizers and her other foundations, which she lists as med-full overage

• Jamilla Camel says:

>Being half Asian, BB’s yellow-toned foundations work really well for me. I’m on the light side and wear No. 2 Sand.

It’s much lighter than her other foundations, and is quite buildable.

• GlossMenagerieDotCom says:

>Hmmmmm…wondering if it's just my imagination or if alabaster is less yellow than the others. The SA I was hanging out with kept trying all her stuff in porcelain on me but it was too dark. >.< However, if alabaster is too yellow the undertone will make it look dark too. :\ But it looks like such a great finish…I'm torn!

• kiss53 says:

>Great color to choose from but Skin Foundation SPF 15 is not for oily skin as it is meant for hydrating the skin. Well that’s what the MA said. Oh well.

• Autumn Masquerade says:

>You do such wonderful swatches! I’ve nominated you for the Triple Award. Keep up the great swatching!

• molly says:

>GlossMenagerieDotCom, alabaster is her only shade that’s more pink-toned. Sad for me b/c I’m as pale as alabaster, but yellow-toned. porcelain is too dark for me. :(

• Bridget Michelle says:

>I have oily skin and it is a great foundation. It looks very natural on me.

• masa_inn says:

>Karla,
    I just found out the latest news from MUA and I have to tell: mods are idiots for bashing the best members off the boards.

I love you blog and greatly appreciate all the efforts you put into it. If you ever decide to reincarnate and start swapping again, just let me know and I will be happy to relist my tokens (we swapped couple of times).

Thank you for the awesome lemming-inducing blog,

Inna

• S. Vanessa Hailey says:

>I have the hardest time with BB too. I gave up because I couldn’t find a match.

• Beda says:

>Thanks so much for the swatches and info. This BB foundation is def. for yellow undertones, even the lightest shade. Are all BB foundations for yellow undertones?

• Willow says:

>Beautiful foundation – my new HG. Made for those that just wished their tinted moisturizer had a touch more colour. One tiny amount covers whole face and it’s buildable too.

• madison817 says:

>i’m gonna go buy this tomorrow and i just thought i’d let you know that your site totally helped, i mentioned you in my recent blogpost.. and you’re awesome karla! :)

• Charlene says:

>Wow thanks so much for swatching!! I really am so glad that you exist! :) because here i am nowhere near a bobbi brown counter but guessing my shade from the website and here you have produced these lovely swatches so now i can compare to my mac and see which one looks closest and buy online. thank GOD for u!

• Nina says:

Also try Orissa Cosmetics – they do makeup for dark skin

• sarah says:

any one here swatched bobbi brown stick foundation????im in desperate need of the stick foundation swatches!!!!!

• katie says:

Oh my god I can’t tell u how glad I am to have found your site!!!!
    Thanks so much for the swatching help ur such a lifesaver :)

• Sharlynn says:

Thanks so much for these swatches but I’m also trying to look for BB’s tinted moisturizer swatches! Would really like to try it but I haven’t been able to go to the shop to check my color! It would be great if you could do that in the future, thanks for the swatches!

• Minh says:

I have never tried bobbi brown foundations as they are quite expensive, but I’ve just realized from your swatches that they are so yellow to the point that they match my Asian skintones very very well. I always have a problem with foundations turning pink or grey on me (even ones labeled “golden”) and I think her foundations will have very nice variations of yellow for my range (Nc20 to Nc35). Thank you!