Guest Swatcher: Sally Hansen Carmindy

Very special thanks to guest swatcher aishatherese, who volunteered to swatch nine shades of Sally Hansen’s Your Skin Makeup foundation (from the Natural Beauty, Inspired by Carmindy, line). Aishatherese is a makeup artist and says she loves the foundation for its blendability and practical color range.

Your Skin Makeup is available at drugstores like CVS, Walgreens, and Ulta, for about $12.99.

Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy: Your Skin Makeup (aishatherese)

As a makeup artist, I was always searching for the perfect foundation for my kit. I had been using the oil-free liquid foundation by Bobbi Brown, but the shade range left much to be desired. All of the colors were so infused with Bobbi’s trademark “yellow” that while it offered great a match for some, many of my clients were left decidedly mustard-ish.

Fast forward to 2009, when after hearing so much about this so-called “Carmindy Foundation” I decided to try out a bottle for myself.

The packaging is good: a pleasingly weighty frosted glass bottle with a green, brushed-metal accent, and an easy pump that dispenses a measured dose of product.

I am a Bobbi 4.5/MAC NC35/and Everyday Minerals Buttered Tan, and I matched myself up to “Sandy Beige.” Much to my satisfaction, the color was a smart blend of warm honey tones and a beigey-tan base. Golden enough for my Asian skintone, but definitely not so yellow that others couldn’t wear it, too. With 12 total shades in the line, there are great choices for both warm and cool skin tones ranging from Porcelain to Mahogany.

In addition to the fantastic color range, I was totally impressed by the formula. Many have said that this foundation’s formula is good for a drugstore brand; I would say that it’s an excellent formula period.

Carmindy’s foundation has a nice cushiony consistency, not runny at all. It smooths on easily and allows for ample blending time before it sets to a semi-matte finish. The coverage is medium-to-full, but I believe that applying it with a damp sponge (like the Beauty Blender) would give you a sheer-to-medium finish. With no SPF, it makes for a perfect foundation for photos.

While it contains some natural botanicals, it does not claim any real treatment properties — so if you are looking for something that is going to hydrate or firm, look somewhere else. But if you are looking for an affordable, easy-to-blend foundation with a natural skin-true color, Carmindy’s foundation is it. I use it on all my clients now and am 100% pleased!

Sally Hansen Your Skin Makeup Foundation: Porcelain, Ecru Beige, Nude Beige, Creamy Beige, True Beige, Sandy Beige, Tawny Beige, Mocha, Mahogany

12 Responses to “Guest Swatcher: Sally Hansen Carmindy”

• MICHELLE says:

>Wonderful swatches!!! I’m really interested in the Airbrush foundation she has in this line as well.

• Cat says:

>Oooooh… I totally want to try this during the wintertime. It sounds really nice! And looks like I’d be an Ecru beige or Creamy Beige. Thanks!

• Suzanne says:

>I absolutely adore this foundation. The shade Porcelain is fair enough, and it is neutral toned (as I read most people find the shades in this). Lasts all day, looks great up close or in photos!

• Dreams, colors and glitter says:

>How interesting, I am gonna try this!!! thanks.

• Gail says:

>What an amazing post!! I want it!! But, I doubt it’s available in the U.K?! It looks excellent, I so need a photo friendly fdtn. Is it oil free?

• theoccasionalblogger says:

>Hi!

first time commenter here :)

many thanks for the swatches – looks great. been looking for swatches high and low. might be trying this as its getting lotsa rave reviews :)

• GlossMenagerieDotCom says:

>I am waiting for a bottle of porcelain to come in a swap. I can’t wait– it looks amazing.

• Connie says:

>Great review and swatches! This is definitely on my wish list. And quite coincidentally I’m NC35 too so I wouldn’t have so much trouble finding the right shade. If only I hadn’t just ordered two revlon foundations…

• Lethal says:

>hmm, only two darker shades?
    The light shades look absolutely beautiful, though.
    Shame i wontbe able to match my sister up to it though.

• Jessica says:

>Your swatches are so helpful! Thanks.

• Jenny says:

Seriously. You guys are the best. OF COURSE i’m going to find swatches here. .. don’t know why i didn’t come here first.

xx

• balencia says:

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but could you please do a swatch for the chestnut shade, 1000-50? It’s not listed here, and is the mocha a neutral shade or yellow toned? Thanks.