MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation

Studio Sculpt Foundation is a fairly new offering from MAC, released (and made part of the permanent collection) with Well Defined in February of this year.

According to my MAC sales associate, Studio Sculpt is a full-coverage foundation (the MAC website says medium, buildable to full) that looks as natural as skin. She went on to say that it’s very good for dry skin, and actually hydrating. Supposedly it will improve your skin’s moisture level up to 21% in three weeks of use. (Not sure how they measure that.)

Studio Sculpt has a gel texture and dries down to a satin finish. It’s long-wearing, water-resistant, and contains SPF 15. (Is it good for photos? Not as good as Studio Fix, says my source.) Studio Sculpt is $28, and that tube holds 40 ml.

Based on arm swatches, I think I’m a NW20, but as you’ve probably heard me say before, I prefer the sheer coverage of MAC Face & Body (in which I wear N1).

23 Responses to “MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation”

• Kate says:

>Wow, the NCs look very orange-y. No wonder my usual NC20 looked awful on me. NW20 looks much more neutral.

• Dede Wilson says:

>NC25 worked for me and its my normal#. However, you must use a tiny dab of this stuff imo. Too much at once and I dont like what it does at all on my skin. I havent returned it, but I also havent been reaching for it. Prefer SFFluid

• Michelle (Lipstick Rules) says:

>I bought this in Feb and while I like it – I haven't reached for it. For some reason, I feel like it's heavy on the face when it really shouldn't be.

• Eunice says:

>I am NW15 in this, my usual shade. However, this feels way too heavy on my skin. I always go back to my HG – Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer in Porcelain :)

• Shadowy Lady says:

>thanks for the swatches. I'm NW25 in SS but used to wear SF in NW30. I guess these run a little darker

• Magi says:

>I don't like this foundation. The NC15 turns to a pink-orange shade around 25 on me. It doesn't melt down to my skin – it lays on top and I don't feel comfortable with it.

It's seems like a joke that NC 30-40 look the same :-P

• Mama Jen says:

>I still haven't made up my mind if i want to try this..i'm usually disappointed with MAC foundations. I'm supposedly NW15 but it's still to orange on me..boo

• Brooke says:

>I'm surprised so many people don't like this! It has HG status for me. I've found that if I only use a pea-sized amount and apply it with a damp sponge I get the best results.

• Steelnpurple says:

>It's my go-to foundation, I love it. I have dry skin so perhaps that's why it works so well for me?
    I'm NC15 in SFFluid but a NW15 in this. Glad I got colourmatched before I bought it.
    I've almost used up my tube that I bought in the end of February. Ok there's still alot in it since a little goes a long way but I'll def. be needing to rebuy soon!

• Katgirl625 says:

>I find it amusing that they say it's good for dry skin, because I avoid this foundation like the plague when my skin is dry. It highlights all of the dry patches!

Overall, it's fair, but nothing to write home to mom about.

• Emma says:

>I have this in NC20 and always suspected it was too yellow for me, and looking at this pic it definitely is. I have combination skin and it seems to just sit on my skin, and I definitely wouldn't say it was long wearing. I loved it when I first had it, but now I hate it.

• cleung341 says:

>Thanks for the swatches. I'm an NC20 and for the longest time the MA's were putting NC30 in SF on me and it never look right. I finally tried this SS and the MA used NC20 and it was a perfect match. I always wondered what the difference was with the other products where the shades started with C or an N.

>I actually wrote a post on the subject, cleung341: http://karlasugar.blogspot.com/2008/06/warm-cool-what-does-it-all-mean.html

In a nutshell, N means neutral, C means yellow tones, and W means pink tones.

• cleung341 says:

>Awww, thanks for the fast reply and link. What's the diff btw the N1 that you are using and the like lets say an NW or NC?

>Not huge, but basically the N should be more neutral than NW (which would be a bit more pink). And C should be more yellow than NC, but since Face and Body only comes in Ns and Cs, the point seems kind of moot.

The more sheer the foundation, the more flexible the colors are.

:-)

• e.motion in motion says:

>Great swatches! Thanks so much :D Always wanted to try this but MACs swatches were kind of confusing for me :(

• Kathy says:

>I'm usually an NW15 (or NW20 with a *tan*), and it was unexpectedly orang-y on me. NC15 looked much more neutral on my skin. Granted, I only tested it in the store, but the Studio Sculpt colors look noticeably different from the colors in their other foundations.

• Cath says:

>NC25 is my perfect shade. I'm replacing my SFFluid with since my oily skin has become more normal. It feels okay but I do live in a very humid country. So I suspect it will still be too dry for those with dry skin.

• Alonso says:

>Once again, this proves that MAC's foundation shades suck. They are way too orange/peach :( I wish they could make more neutral tones.. sigh. It's sad because I actually like their foundation formulas.

• Babyphat says:

Hey karla :)
    Which shade in nc is the shade nw 20 closest to?
    I can’t seem to make up my mind because I believe nw 25 is pretty close to nc 30 just, more beige-y.

Thankyou for all your swatches! Sucha big burden lifted from dragging ourselves to the store to swatch them up.

• Baby phat says:

Nw 25 looks dark btw. Is it true? And it has a big difference from nw 20 :/

• Peekaboo says:

I agree with Magi about the shades NC30 thorough NC40 looking the exact same, and NC 20 and 25 same too, then there is quite a big gap between NC15 and 20. I just got a sample of this on NW15, but looks a little too peachy on me, I should have asked for NC15, but I was worried that It would be too ghostly, but I guess I am ghostly. Thanks for the swatches!