Guest Swatcher: Color Inspiration

Hello, readers! I have a fabulous treat for you. Nail blogger extraordinaire and fellow swatcher Scrangie is taking over TNBTTGSY for a day, while I’ll be writing about nail polish (!!) over at scrangie.com. I hope you enjoy our little post exchange, and if you’re ever looking for on-nail swatches of the latest polish collections, Scrangie’s your girl. (Though I warn you now, reading can be dangerous and expensive.)

Scrangie:
Someone recently asked me about finding a nail polish color that was the same shade as their favorite eyeshadow. This got me to thinking: how polish matching do I do subconsciously? How much do my favorite shades of makeup influence my choices in polish? I don’t usually try to match — at least not intentionally — but I do often have the urge to wear certain colors, and end up searching for shades to suit my “color craving.” Color inspiration can come from anything and it will drive you crazy until you find the perfect color.

Take the new Urban Decay liquid liner shades, for example. Ecstasy is a gorgeous shimmer purple and Minx is a bold shimmer turquoise.
Instantly they reminded me of two of my favorite polish shades, Nubar Pasadena Purple and Tropez Aqua Pearl.
Or, alternately, China Glaze On The Prowl and Sephora by OPI Mermaid To Order.
How about Stila’s beautiful new Smudgepot shade, Golden Noir? A deep smoky black with flecks of gold.
It reminds me of BB Couture for Nails’ Dark Night:

Maybe that inspired color you’re looking for comes from another type of object: a flower, a bird, maybe a pair of shoes? Take Mossimo’s Velda Patent Oxford Pumps:

Reminds me of China Glaze’s Short and Sassy.
Or if you don’t have $1000 to spend on Alexander McQueen’s 216794…
…they sorta reminds me of Zoya Ki and Ozotic Pro 505 (over black). These are just a few examples of how makeup or fashion can translate into the perfect shade of polish. It’s a lot of fun to hunt down that shade that you just can’t stop thinking about, and there’s nothing quite like actually finding it. Use your imagination… have fun with color!

10 Responses to “Guest Swatcher: Color Inspiration”

• jojoba says:

>i know i am supposed to say something about the gorgeous swatches. but but but… i want that Mossimo's Velda Patent Oxford Pumps. OK, i said it. i have a pair of Prada look like those but i think i still want them…

sigh..

of course the nail swatches are fabulous!

• Y says:

>I think that's so creative how you can match your nail polish to stuff like eyeliners and shoes.

• Lucy says:

>Hi Scrangie! Great matching! I try not to do it buy it's hard for me not to. I love things balanced (being a Libra) and I find myself trying to match everything. It kills me when designers say how boring to match lipstick and nails. Also don't match your handbag and shoes. Breaking the rules is hard for me. I'm not a prissy dresser or extremely fashionable. I'm the exact opposite. I don't even know why I care what designers say. I know I love your blog and your RBL nail polish. I think yours is the most exciting polish. Love the shimmer in it. I keep picking up the bottle and turning it around to watch the beautiful colors. Thank you for such a fantastic job.

• Prime Beauty says:

>I really enjoyed this post and the color matching was so fun! I want the red oxford shoes now. Where can I get them?

>:) You can get them at Target!

• Marina says:

>OMG Scrangie, you rock! Great post! Feel free to keep making such comparisons on your own blog, this was really fun! Comparing colors to everything, clothes, make-up, laptops (Sony Vaio :) )) flowers… Jeez, sounds so much fun! Great idea in this post Scrangie! Matching lipsticks would rock my world, me being lipstick-freak…

• Kristina says:

>Wow, I need that red China Glaze polish now… sexy!

• PlatinumV says:

>I am shocked! They are stunning! What nail enamel would you suggest for matching a petroleum blue eyeshadow?
    V

• Thepunkcat says:

>Ok, so where do I get those Mossimo's Velda Patent Oxford Pumps?! (*¬*) Amazing nail polishes too, but, uh, the shoes…
    *droool*