Smashbox Reign

Smashbox’s fall collection is called Reign, and I confess, I was instantly attracted to the ornate, Juicy Couture-esque packaging (don’t judge me). The paletted items come bound in faux leather — perhaps a posh, Ralph Lauren nod to back-to-school.

Smashbox, Reign, MonarchThe collection begins with a pair of eyeshadow palettes ($42): Majesty and Monarch. Each palette has three eyeshadow pans, with a shimmery shade on the outer ring, and a less shimmery shade (but not always matte) inside. You’d never know it by looking, but these shadows are baked — and can be used wet or dry.

The collection also offers a Jet Set Palette ($48), with four shades of their waterproof cream liner: matte black, matte dark brown, metallic gold, and metallic brown. I also appreciate that each pair of liners in the palette has a snap-top lid to protect against drying out. However, I didn’t swatch these because the testers I found were a little too well-loved.

If you’ve never tried Jet Set before, it’s a really nice cream liner with great staying power. Its consistency is a little firmer than Clinique’s Brush-On Liner or Bobbi Brown’s Long-wear Gel Liner. Jet Set Liners are $22 individually.
Smashbox, Reign, Majesty, Monarch, swatchesSmashbox, Reign, RegalReign includes a totally tempting Fusion Blush called Regal ($32). The peachy powder contains both matte and shimmer sections, and though I would have thought matte + shimmer = shimmer, I didn’t notice much shimmer as I was swatching.

Smashbox, Reign, CrownedThere are two new, limited edition shades of Smashbox’s Doubletake Lip Color ($22) — a double ended pencil with lip liner on one end, and a ridiculously soft, creamy lip color on the other end (I was reminded of Bobbi Brown’s Ivy League Lip Crayons). Currant is sexy and vampy; Amaretto is a peachy nude.

There’s also a new lipgloss ($18), a pretty peach called Crowned.

Smashbox, Reign, swatches, Regal, Currant, Amaretto, CrownedSmashbox, Lash DNAOne more thing worth mentioning: there’s a new shade of Lash DNA Mascara ($19): Plum. Lash DNA supposedly contains a proteins and amino acids to condition, lengthen, and strengthen lashes. It also has a “double helix” brush.

I confess, I’m intrigued. Has anyone tried Lash DNA? Care to report?

9 Responses to “Smashbox Reign”

• dancepig says:

>Oh my, and here I was hopping that Smashbox would be one of the few makeup lines that I would not be tempted with this fall, but guess not! I'm loving that Monarch palette – thank you Karla!

• Cami says:

>I've tried lash DNA, IMHO it's an above average mascara. It didn't clump, and it did a good job lengthening and volumizing. I wasn't a fan of the brush, and to me it seemed inky. For instance, if I was to get caught in the rain; I'd be afraid that it would get all over, etc. Although, much better than their Bionic mascara.

• caborojo7 says:

>I received a sample of the Lash DNA Mascara and I have to say I'm impressed! Possibly the best mascara I have ever tried.

• City Muse says:

>I have both the Majesty and Monarch eyeshadow palettes. I must say am impressed at their pigmentation and texture; all of the eyeshadows are buttery soft and easy to blend.

Most importantly, they're all flattering on my brown eyes. The middle colors, plum burgundy from the Majesty palette and the Bronze from the Monarch Palette, when paired together make my brown eyes pop!

• Erin says:

>The nipple palettes! ( o )( o ) Monarch looks great!

• Thepunkcat says:

>I'm in love with Regal blush!
    I own the jet set palette and the packaging is gorgeous. It's a very beautiful collection, IMHO.

• Lori J says:

>This mascara is great! Easy to apply, very long wearing, washes of easily but doesn't smudge….I don't think it gives tons of volume, but the color is GORGEOUS. It's metallic and a rusty plum and just lovely. Highly recommend! At $19 it's less than my usual Lancome.

• Kristine says:

>Oh wow thanks for swatching the blush. I was eyeing that at the store a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if I would love it. It looks gorgeous though. I'll have to pick it up next time :) Thanks again!

• Sheila P says:

>Hi!! FYI they are already on sale at Sephora for a pretty good price =)