Chanel Collection Noirs Obscurs

Did you have any doubts that this fall is unusually vampy? Let Chanel allay them for you, with a small collection called Noirs Obscurs.

Chanel, Les Folies Noires, promoIt seems to me to be a bit of black humor (pun not actually intended) to name the eyeshadow quad Les Folies Noires (“folly” is a mistake, a lack of good sense). The quad just seems a bit outside of Chanel’s normal comfort zone — and maybe I’m letting my imagination run away with me, but is that why this time we got round pans, instead of the normal rounded-square? To separate this quad from Chanel’s normal offerings? Did the U.S. get a European quad this time? “Quatuor Boutons de Chanel” is $60.

There are two mascaras in the “Noir” mix: Inimitable Noir Obscur ($30) and Exceptionnel de Chanel Noir Obscur ($30). I haven’t tried either, but the website explains that both these shades are “extremely black.”

There is also an eyeliner pencil (Le Crayon Yeux, $28): Demoniac, which is a black red-purple. There are three Rouge Allure lipsticks ($30): Obscure (brown), Maniac (red-purple), and Hysteria (black blue-purple). And finally, there’s a new Aqualumiere Gloss ($27): Furious, which is clear with a faint brown tint, and brown sparkles that reflect gold and pink.
Chanel, Noirs Obscurs, swatches, Quatuor Boutons de Chanel, Les Folies Noires, Demoniac, Obscure, Maniac, Hysteria, FuriousThe collection also includes three nailpolishes (I believe it repromotes both Imperial and Django), but I regret I did not swatch them before the rain started.

12 Responses to “Chanel Collection Noirs Obscurs”

• Joey says:

>Sigh. I bought Obscure and Maniac three weeks ago, and while I LOVE the colors (clearly, I would lol), the texture of these lipsticks is terrible. They're so dry!

I should go back for Demoniac though.

• Lina (TheBeautyLookBook) says:

>Thank you so much for these swatches! It seems like everyone has this collection already except california!! It's confirmed, I need the quad, liner and gloss.

• Wolfy says:

>Is it me, or does this whole palette seem just like one note or different shades of black?
    How did they make vampy so darn boring?

One of my favorite makeup blogs.
    You really save me the time, energy, and money when choosing the right makeup and sampling new trends/products. Keep it coming.

• Ruthlessrocks says:

>I bought Hysteria a week or so back and it was the last one, they'd sold out of everything already. The texture of the lipstick I felt could be much creamier, the coverage of Maybelline's new formula is MUCH better. That being said, the colour is unique. But agreed, pretty dry formula.

• jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) says:

>everything is a black mass! LOL. i can't tell the difference between the colours of the quad. the lip products look better IMO.

thanks for the swatches and they just killed lemmings!

• Prime Beauty says:

>Hmm, my first thought was 'too Goth' I'll have to see the quad in person, I am intrigued tho.

• Tiffany says:

>Wolfy – I thought the same thing about the quad.

Thanks for the swatches! I like the looks of Maniac and Hysteria, but if the formula is dry like others are saying, they're an easy pass, especially at $30.

• aussiemacluvrrr says:

>I think folies means 'madness' actually. So the translation would be black madness. Hehe.

• Analytic Approach to Style says:

>black is BIG this season! me likey the idea, but yeah, all the colors in the quad look too much alike.

• seventh_moon says:

>the nailpolishes for this collex are diabolic (similar to rouge noir,but a bit darker), repromote of vendetta and some brown thats a bit darker than the d/c'd madness np.

• Proximity says:

>Wow. That quad looks so … boring.

• Tijana says:

>Hey Karla,

Just wanted to let you know I saw a "behind the counter" preview of this year's Chanel Holiday colours last night, was pretty disappointed. It's OK, but nothing special or "holiday"-ish. Lots of corals (which I do like, but not for Holiday collection) and the eyeshadow quad was kind of ho-hum (very "fall" vs. "holiday"). Maybe it's just me, but I am really curious to hear what you think when they come out.