Tips from a Makeup Artist: Put Concealer on Last

For as long as people have been wearing foundation and concealer, people have been pondering which comes first.

Let me back this story up: I don’t always wear foundation (lazy). Which raises another question: which comes first, makeup (shadow, liner) or concealer? I always thought the answer was concealer. I’ve got a lot of color around my eyes naturally (not a good thing), and I figured I needed to get rid of it, to return to “skin zero” before starting in on adding other colors.

But I was talking with one of my favorite makeup artists and she recommended trying it the other way.

Holy moly, people, this is a really good thing.

I think by doing the rest of my makeup first, and putting on undereye concealer second, I reduce the degree to which the concealer gets tugged and “distressed,” so it doesn’t get quite as creasy. It’s also possible that I’m applying more carefully (around my makeup), and therefore I’m using less?

Furthermore, I’ve found that putting on foundation first does about half the concealing job that I want in total. Meaning that I use less concealer, meaning (again) that it’s less likely to crease.

At the moment I’m wearing Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer in Porcelain (applied with fingers). I’m using Neutrogena 3-in-1 Undereye Concealer in Light (dabbing a bit on with fingers, then blending with Sonia Kashuk’s fluffy Large Crease Brush). Oh and CVS Black Rice Eye Cream and Anatomicals’ No Old Bags Allowed both make great undereye primers, just use sparingly.

6 Responses to “Tips from a Makeup Artist: Put Concealer on Last”

• xLovelyMakeupx says:

>wow i should try that since i feel like i just drag away the concealer when in applying my foundation. good tip girl thanks

• erikaf says:

>Karla, you're a teenager aren't you? Srsly you aren't allowed to use products like 'no old bags allowed'. I bet you have nothing to conceal :-) I'm gonna try the Neutrogena concealer you like so much …. and thanks for this tip.

• Tijana says:

>I somehow always did put concealer AFTER the foundation, but didn't think to make the absolutely final step in my routine after everything else. Thanks so much for the tip. BTW, if you have not tried yet, try the Vichy Dermablend Skin Fusion Texture concealer (the one in the tube), it is amazing! I have tried gazillion concealers in my life, that one is the best.

• Wolfy says:

>I wear foundation daily and usually put concealer on 2nd, but lately I have waited to put it on last in order to avoid creasing. This also saves me from having to fix feathering or creasing at the end.
    I also put my blush on before any blemish concealing on my face. Seems to work better.

• jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) says:

>i always put concealer on AFTER a liquid/cream foundation but BEFORE powder foundation. that works the best for me.

• Leanne says:

>This is interesting! I always took the opposite approach– apply concealer first (I use it around my nose and chin as well) and I can probably get away with very little foundation. I'll have to give this a try, too.