Guest Swatcher: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick

The reason I almost never swatch drugstore makeup is that drugstores in the U.S. don’t provide testers. Luckily, this isn’t the case in every country, and the adorable emilysparrowreturns (from Australia) very kindly swatched 20 of the 72 available shades of Revlon’s Super Lustrous lipstick.

These lipsticks come in a range of finishes (from sheer to full coverage creme to frosty). I hear them mentioned fairly often as a great drugstore formula, though I haven’t tried one myself.

Do you wear and love Super Lustrous? Tell me more about them! And I’d love to know your favorite shade.
Revlon, Super Lustrous, swatches, 24K Orange, Orange Flip, Blase Apricot, Hot Coral, Revlon Red, Peony Pink, China Glaze Red, Love That Pink, Orchid Beach
Revlon, Super Lustrous, swatches, Copperglow Berry, Goldpearl Plum, Raisin Rage, Plumalicious, Wild Orchid, Soft Silver Rose, Soft Suede, Ginger Rose, Blushed, Teak Rose, Smoky RoseRevlon Super Lustrous lipstick: 24K Orange, Orange Flip, Blase Apricot, Hot Coral, Revlon Red, Peony Pink, China Glaze Red, Love That Pink, Orchid Beach, Copperglow Berry, Goldpearl Plum, Raisin Rage, Plumalicious, Wild Orchid, Soft Silver Rose, Soft Suede, Ginger Rose, Blushed, Teak Rose, Smoky Rose

18 Responses to “Guest Swatcher: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick”

• Kathy says:

I’ve worn Super Lustrous lipstick for years. (My 90s self lived in Toast of New York.) Have you tried the matte ones? They’re actually quite creamy but not as glossy as the original. So far my favorite is Strawberry Suede, a coral-y soft red.

• Monica says:

I love the Super Lustrous formula. They are non-drying, and they have incredible staying power. In fact, this may be my favorite lipstick formula–it beats out a lot of my more expensive lipsticks.

While the color range is extensive, I find a relatively small fraction to be wearable–many are just too orange, or too purpley, or too brown. Ginger Rose and Blushing Nude (a deep, slightly browned rose) are good neutrals, though. Teak Rose is also a gorgeous color. And this range does have a terrific selection of reds: Certainly Red (bright blue red), Love that Red (bright orange red), Scarlet Velvet (true red), and my two favorites, Mulled Wine (slightly browned medium red) and Blackberry (browned dark red–similar to Mac Dubonnet).

• Ying says:

I’m wearing this lipstick in Icy Violet today. Got from CVS 75% off. Like it alot!

• kristina says:

I have noticed with d/s lipsticks, that they don’t seem to be as pigmented or they fade incredibly quick. A YSL red could stop traffic, but Red in the d/s seems to be a shyer version.

The other thing is the colour selection. It seems a tad dated.

Btw, I love this current version of the updated Blog. I think it is smooth sailing from here on :D

• Caro says:

This was super helpful! I’ve always wondered what these would look like swatched, but you have to be stealthy to sneak a peak at lipsticks in the drugstore. I always feel like a criminal opening them up to check them out! LOL!

• Enna says:

Karla, could you swatch the new Revlon Photoready foundation, I really want to buy but I live in Germany and have to order in the internet, I just can´t find all the colors. THanks!

• Jennifer says:

I have to admit that I really likes these lippies and will definitely purchase more colors. I bought a couple when they were 75% off at CVS and was very pleasantly surprised-I’m kind of a lipstick snob. My favorite color so far is Fabulous Fig.

• syeung2 says:

What is the skintone/coloring of the guest swatcher? :) thanks!

• athenasius says:

I love the Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks (and the SL gloss) as well as the new matte lipsticks.

I’d like to see an expanded swatching of these if you can. I plan to try out Gold pearl Plum, and Blase Apricot because of these very helpful swatches.

Monica mention Ginger Rose and Blushing Nude as the best neutrals and I concur, though I suspect that might be for warm skin tones. Those are my two top favourites and I use them regularly.

Revlon SL’s are some of the best lipsticks around. The red I love in the mattes is 007 In The Red, which is a warm red, muted lightly with a hint of brown. It isn’t drying, nor are the other mattes I tried including Mauve it Over which is a paler and matte version of Ginger Rose.

The SL’s and the mattes last well, moisturize well and have a great range to choose from. They tend to be opaque, not sheer. Some of the SL’s are way too frosty, and shimmery almost metallic in sheen to wear easily, but the cremes and some of the lightly frosted, almost creme are really nice.

• Emily says:

Athenasuius:

I’ll be swatching the full collection, I promise! I’m also going to do the Maybelline Color Sensational lippies very soon too.

• jenel says:

I love the matte, and the renewist in nude attitude, i miz it with gloss or lipstick. To neutralise the pink of my lips.

• Karen says:

I really like these! They are fairly moisturizing (I have extremely dry lips) and last a few hours. I only buy these on sale because I’m not quite sure they are worth their regular retail price, but on half off days I go crazy :) My favorite shades are Plumalicious (shown), Sultry Sable (a beautiful deep plumy-rose-brown creme shade, and Va Va Violet (a dense opaque deep plum purple creme which I very lightly dab on). I have pale skin, brown hair, and hazel eyes for color references :) The creme shades are especially wonderful as far as pigmentation and moisture go! I highly recommend these!

• Annie says:

I wore some of the darker colors in this line for over 15 years, including my favorite cool-toned blackish-purple “Blackberry.” So I was stunned and thought they had mislabeled my color when I recently bought a replacement, but when I contacted them, they said they changed the formula in 2009. This apparently dramatically changed to colors, but they didn’t change the color names, so “Blackberry” is now a light-medium warm brick-red. :-(

• Patty says:

Please help me find China Glaze Red. I have worn it for years & now they have discontinued it in my area.
    Thanks,
    Patty

• Jane says:

I used to wear ‘blackberry’ in the 90s, when it was a purplish/black. Now you can find a similar hue in ‘black cherry’. I use both, blackberry for red lipstick and black cherry for a darker look at night.

• Rebecca says:

Some of these are not S.L. lipsticks. They are Moon Drops, in the green tube. ;) All of the top picture are the Moon Drops, at least in the USA.

• beautyham says:

Actually, the first four colors on the left of the top photo, plus chinaglaze red, are in the moondrops and not the superlustrous formula. just fyi.

• sue gouvion says:

I have used the Revlon Soft Silver Rose LS for years now and I really like it. I used to use the Goldpearl plum but they changed it and it is too dark now but they did send me a credit.