MAC Black Enough?

I don’t like the way black nail polish looks on my hands. It’s too severe against my skin (or I’m just not emo enough?). Black is useful as a layering tool — under other polishes or under glitter — but I never choose to wear it alone.

So I was feeling resistant to trying on Black Enough?, Riveting’s matte black shade — and as a result I did a fairly quick-n-sloppy job. I also think this is a polish to be careful with; every mistake will show.
MAC, Riveting, Black Enough, matte, swatch
I didn’t think there was any point in topcoating this one — if you wanted a glossy black polish, you could easily buy a glossy black.
MAC, Riveting, Black Enough, matte, swatches
I will say this looked better on me than I thought it would… but I still prefer the other two.

8 Responses to “MAC Black Enough?”

• Amy says:

Karla, the black looks great on you. Wear it for a week, watch a few episodes of Rachel Zoe and you’ll be hooked. Love the post! :) Great pics too!

• Angie says:

I admit I was late to jump on the black bandwagon. When Chanel came out with Black Satin, I was like, um, didn’t Ozzy do this in the 80′s? But I wanted something a little edgy to wear to a rock concert and got something black with navy shimmer (sinful colors maybe?). It basically looked black, but I’ve been hooked ever since.
    I think this looks great on you!

• Kathy says:

Another fan of Black Satin, though these days I have few places to rock “goth fingers.” My biggest issue with dark nails is that they show chips and smears, like, five minutes after you’ve polished them. Black nails = chic. Chipped black nails = not cool unless you are an 18-year-old emo rocker. Maybe.

• oooh, I really like this. I adore Orly’s Glam Rock which is a dark gray glittering matte. it’s so rocker chic

• Lizzard says:

i really like this! this matte just makes it so intense and less “trashy”

• Shannon says:

This looks pretty good, but I think my favorite matte black/dark polish is definitely Zoya’s Dovima. It’s not pure black, rather a black with shimmer, but it’s surprisingly classy looking without at all giving an emo feel. And I’ve tried 5 out of the 6 Zoya matte shades from their two Matte Velvet collection, and Dovima oddly enough is the only one that didn’t give me major tip wear and chipping (the purple and green mattes both gave me tip wear). Also Zoya’s matte polishes have great consistency and finish, and never leave any kind of imperfection (unless you accidentally got polish on your cuticles anyway).

if you like matte polishes, I definitely recommend Dovima. :D

• Amasia says:

I want this one but can’t seem to find it on the website

Sorry, Amasia, this color was limited edition in 2010.