MAC Wham, Bam, Glam

I am totally not a matte nail polish person. I’ve tried on a few of them, but the lack of shiny made me sad. So when I read that MAC was going to have three matte polishes in its Riveting collection, I kind of mentally dismissed them.  Oh reader, I was so wrong.

The texture and application of these polishes is a little different. On first attempt, I was reminded of that scene from the Princess Bride, where Miracle Max is painting chocolate coating (makes it go down easier) onto the miracle pill. Basically, these polishes dry VERY fast. If you make a mistake in your first coat and try to correct it immediately, you’ll make it worse. What I learned with a little practice is not to worry about the first coat. Just put it down quickly and let it dry (forget what it looks like). When you put your second coat on top of it, it’ll go down smoothly and nicely.
MAC, Riveting, swatches, Wham Bam Glam, matte
Matte nail polishes confuse me: what topcoat do you put on them?  Matte topcoat?  (I honestly thought that matte topcoats were only for mattifying non-matte polishes.)  But without a topcoat, my manicure isn’t going to survive a hair-washing.

Anyway, for curiosity’s sake, I put a shiny topcoat on Wham, Bam, Glam and photographed again. LOVE! Visions of Chanel Particuliere ran through my head! I was so sad to take it off…  but the swatching must go on.
MAC, Riveting, swatches, Wham Bam Glam, shiny

7 Responses to “MAC Wham, Bam, Glam”

• Amy says:

That does look like Chanel Particuliere when you add a topcoat–I have it on my nails right now and the resemblance is striking. Lovely job–and my goodness one does need a skunk brush with those blushes, yes?

• Keerthi says:

I love your nails – you have great nail beds. I think Wham, Bam, Glam will look weird on my skin tone, but I’m pretty interested in Studded (from the same collection).

• Paula says:

I put it on last night & realized I was not a matte girl, at all. So, I put “Imperial Splendor” on the tips and then top coated it all. So much better with the top coat.

• Claudia says:

Really?? I’m absolutely in love with the new matte lines coming out! I especially like Essie’s Matte About You which is a matte topcoat that makes any polish look matte and edgy/ interesting :)

• Rose says:

amazing princess bride reference

• nay says:

i have to disagree,i have the particuliere and wham bam glam,i put both on to compare them,and wham bam glam is definately darker.theyre both unique colours.even though they totally look alike in the botlles when you put them next to each other.
    and as i read youre not supposed to put any topcoat and not even a basecoat on/under matte nailpolishes(at least not mac ones).
    and im absolutely in love with matte nailpolishes,this was my first one but i really need to get some more:)

• Reena says:

I’ve always been so used to the glossy nail polishes. When I found out that there are matte nail polishes, curiosity got the better of me and I finally gave it a try. I have to say,matte polishes are unusual but interesting. LOL…