MAC Prep for Colour

MAC, Prep for Beauty, promoThere’s another little collection coming out from MAC on April 8. This one’s called Prep for Colour, and though she be but little, she is fierce.*

This collection includes 4 color products: three eyeshadows and a lipgloss. It also repromotes Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 (which I have always wanted to try because I hear it has excellent mattifying properties, $30). And there’s a new addition to the Prep + Prime family: Skin Brightening Serum, said to even out skintone. The serum is $40.

MAC shadows are $14.50; lipglosses are $14.
MAC, Prep for Colour, Prep for Color, swatches, Just Add Colour, Just Add Color, Prepped for Glamour, Satin Taupe, Hey, Naked Lunch, Sorcery, Handwritten, Embark, Brown Down
Since there were so few color products, I thought I’d swatch them next to permanent shades I thought might be similar. Prepped for Glamour is pretty close to Satin Taupe. PfG might be a little less frosty, a little less silver — and possibly slightly less purple, for people on whom Satin Taupe pulls purple?

Hey is very similar to Naked Lunch, though Hey is peachier; Naked Lunch more pink.

Sorcery is quite reddish and a little bit chalky. It was one of the shades in the Devil May Dare warm eye palette from holiday last year, but I think it’s nicer in pot form than I found it in the palette. I also don’t think my comparison shades were quite as close here.

* That’s Shakespeare, boys, Shakespeare.

13 Responses to “MAC Prep for Colour”

• Prepped for Glamour looks right up my alley! Satin Taupe is one of my faves, and I’m running a bit low on it, so it won’t hurt to pick this up as well. That gloss looks gorgeous too!

• emma says:

Prepped for Glamour seems nicer than Satin Taupe, which was too silvery for me. Sorcery looks a tad warm, but might look nice blended with Prepped for Glamour. Hey is pretty too. Thanks for this!

• emma says:

Karla,

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your favorite neutral, mid-toned brown shadows, from MAC or any other brand? Thanks!

• Lindsay says:

Looks like this collection might be a pass for me with so many dupes. I’ll definitely check out prepped for glamour since I loooove satin taupe so much!

• Marce says:

Hey is so pretty!

• Anitacska says:

I love the lipglass, such a pretty colour, otherwise nothing else catches my eye.

• the lipgloss looks gorgeous, but everything else is skippable. Naked Lunch looks gorgeous, but I think maybe Straw Harvest is a dupe for a it – I’ll need to check that one! everything else is totally skippable given it’s all dupey.

• krista says:

What Shakespeare play was that line from? (and thanks for the swatches and comparisons so helpful!)

• Sophie says:

I can always rely on this blog for the best swatches! Sorcery looks so good!

Krista, you made my day. The line is from Midsummer Night’s Dream, but Red Pollard (Tobey Maguire) also uses the line in Seabiscuit, when the reporters are asking about his “little” horse.

Emma, I feel like your question calls for a long, rambling answer. Maybe I should write a post about my favorite neutral eyeshadows? But a great option would be Cargo’s Essential Eye palettes: http://karlasugar.net/2008/11/cargo-essential-eyeshadow-palette/. I wear warm/neutral.

• kasiaj85 says:

Karla, do you think Just Add Colour could be a dupe for Totally It lipgloss? I so much love TI and just can’t get it anywhere… :(

• Chrys says:

I have sorcery in the Devil may Dare palette and I love that color! it’s soo pretty :-)

• Jean says:

About the Shakespeare quote:

I used that as the opening line for a press release I wrote for a gallery in Chelsea!! The title of the exhibition was “Precious Small Things” so I immediately thought of Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Just injecting a geeky English/Visual Arts grad’s thoughts…