TFMA: De-Scenting your Lipstick

I’m flying solo on today’s “Tip From a Makeup Artist” — this tip has not actually been makeup-artist approved (I came up with this one myself).

Time and again I’ve noticed that lipstick testers are unscented, or have a much fainter scent than the product for sale. I realized this happens because testers are almost always displayed uncapped, and the smell dissipates.

Well I decided to use this observation to my advantage, and try de-scenting a lipstick of my own. It turns out it doesn’t take too long to get rid of the scent — a day, maybe two. You don’t even have to twist the lipstick up; just leave the cap off.

I wondered whether “de-scenting” would have any adverse effect on my lipstick — all cream cosmetics will eventually dry out if left open for long enough. But I concluded that a day wouldn’t hurt it too much (think how long testers sit open), and in some cases it’s worth it to have a fragrance-free lipstick.

So if you have a formula and color you love, in a fragrance you don’t — Guerlain, Estee Lauder, and Yves Saint Laurent seem like likely candidates — you may want to give de-scenting a try.

10 Responses to “TFMA: De-Scenting your Lipstick”

• LRW says:

great tip Karla! wish I’d thought of this,as I’ve walked away from countless EL lippies due to that horrid fig scent..not a fan of YSL’s scent either,but too expensive to toss,so I will be trying this tip..what’s the saying…better late than never?

• Kate says:

Ooh, I should try this with blush. I bought Miel Glace once, not knowing it was scented because the tester had no scent, and took it back because it was just too much for me though I loved the blush! And seeing your swatches, it looks like there are others I would like as well.

• kristina says:

This is a fabulous tip!! This opens the door for many brands I have written off due to their migraine inducing scents. I will now have more YSL RV’s!!

• erica says:

This is a great tip. Thank you!
    I do have to add- my mom wears EL lipstick, and they just smell like what a lipstick is supposed to smell like to me. I have rubbed that scent off of my cheek so many times.

• Silvia says:

Great tip, Karla! I’ll try it with some Dolce & Gabanna lipglosses. I can’t bear the scent!

• Elisabeth says:

Genius! I don’t mind YSL and EL scents so much, but I can’t stand L’Oreal at all, so I’m going to try this on them and report back.

• Marina says:

What a great tip! I’m sensitive to smells and that limits my possibilities as a true makeup junkie :) Like, i never even approach YSL counters, i hate their scent so much.
    Thank you!

• Rachel says:

I’m actually really excited about this experiment! I love D&G lipsticks but the scent is, by far, the most intense that I’ve ever encountered. The make Guerlain seem tame! ;)

• Sharon M says:

Thank you for the tip :) I have a Lancome lipstick (Rouge Absolu in Rouge Framboise) which I love the colour of, but the taste and scent of it really puts me off. Will take off the cap and leave it out in my bathroom over the next day, and hopefully that will get rid of the worst of it!

• knownever says:

lipstick scents never bother me but this is such a great trick. you are real vigilant in the cosmetics department, I would have NEVER noticed this!