Introducing Swap/Sell

Hey readers,

Mr. Salt and I are ready to roll out Phase 2 of the site improvements: we’re introducing the ability to swap or sell your makeup on the Interact side of the site.

Why use this site instead of the other options out there?

This system will actively suggest item-for-item matches (and help buyers and sellers find one another).

How it works:

• Create your swaplist and a wishlist. In order for the matches to work, the items on your swaplist must exactly match other users’ wishlists, so take advantage of the auto-complete and error-catcher.
  • As you create each item, assign a swap value — what is this item worth to you, in a swap?  No one else can see this number — how you value your swap items is private.
  • If you are willing to sell your item, assign a “sale” value. (Buyers will create a wishlist item with a dollar amount they’re willing to pay.)  This number is visible to the public.
  • The system will find matches between users. These proposed swaps will appear in your Swap Dashboard.  If you like the sound of a proposed swap, you can click to send that user a message.
  • Suggestions are not binding; they are just suggestions.  If someone sends you a swap request, you are still free to accept or decline.
  • When the swap is complete, leave the other user a feedback token (and please remove the relevant items from your swaplist and wishlist — otherwise they’ll generate false matches).

Coming Soon:

• We’re starting out with single-item matches to make sure everything works as planned, but very soon we’ll turn on the ability to calculate multi-item matches.
  • Right now you can designate whether you are willing to buy/sell items. Once we make sure everything’s working, we’ll activate a third option, for those who only want to sell/buy.
  • Currently, the search function does not limit suggestions by country. Soon, we will give you the ability to restrict suggestions to your region (e.g., the European Union).

16 Responses to “Introducing Swap/Sell”

• Great new feature! Yay, Karla & Mr. Salt :D

• Joey says:

this. is. brilliant.

• Great new feature! I’ll be sure to use it!

• Sylvie says:

This is a fantastic idea! I already check your blog everyday, now it gives me an extra thing to look at. You guys are genius.

• Nicole says:

WOW! you are amazing (as is Mr Salt). I can’t get over the amount of work and creativity behind all your site! (and your puppy dog is very cute…)

• Dawn says:

Is the DOG for sale????? So adorable!

• Sylvie says:

Hi Karla

I was wondering if you could make it easier to find someone’s list of swap items. Another user and I have been testing your new feature out and I find it difficult to find her list of items after she’s contacted me about an item. I went to her profile but couldn’t find her swap list or her wish list and had to click at random to find something listed by her to find a list of all her other items.

Also, perhaps under the newest items listed, swap items and wish list items could be separated? It might also help to show who listed it (cuz I sometimes click on my own items thinking that someone else listed it haha).

There’s also a bug in the form for listing items, when I click “I do not wish to buy or sell” for a particular item, I’m still required to put a value in the field below for the amount for which I’m willing to sell the item or else I’m unable to upload the item at all.

Last of all, under condition of the item, perhaps you could include “any usuage” or a field that users can type in? It’s not so much for swap items but for wish list items. Sometimes I don’t mind any usage for a particular wish list item but I can only choose one of the options you’ve given BNIB, BNNB etc. It kind of narrows down the number of hits possible.

Just a few friendly suggestions of course. =)

This is GREAT feedback, Sylvie. We’ll get to work on this right away. Thank you!

• lexi920 says:

Yay – I’m compiling my sell/swap list!

• Connie says:

yesssssssssss! =D

• is this the new project you told me about? that’s fantastic. i love what you are doing. keep it up. you guys are amazing.

• Marilyn says:

What a GREAT idea!!! And by the way, I feel compelled to steal Mr. Salt! What an adorable doggie. I’m in love!

• Alyson says:

This is so cool, Karla! I love the sell options and the value matching. These are features that are light years ahead of makeupalley.

Man, you have come so far! I feel like a proud mama LMAO since I remember when you very first started this blog. :)

• Martha says:

You go Miss Sugar!

• Cath says:

Super-like this idea. Looking forward to this cos there are some brands which are not available in my country. Thanks S&S!