Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream

At long last!  Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Creams have made their way to my Sephora and I am so happy to have swatched them.

These little potted wonders are highly pigmented creams for eyes, lips, face, body — anywhere.  They were designed for “extreme conditions” (think synchronized swimmers and those ladies who do the underwater mermaid shows) — once they set, they are waterproof, transfer-proof, and creaseproof.  Basically, they’re going to stay on ’til you use an oil cleanser to remove them.
Make Up For Ever, Makeup Forever, Aqua Cream, Aquacream, swatches, all, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, Karla Sugar, KarlaSugar
There are 21 shades (because there is no number 19. EDIT: Shade 19 isn’t available in the U.S., but a guest swatcher from Spain very graciously sent in a photo). Some are designated “lips and cheeks” (5 – 10); the rest are designated “eyes and cheeks.”  The shades are surprisingly sparkly/shimmery (which may affect how you feel about them as lip colors). They can be applied individually, mixed together, or used under powder (or lipgloss). They are $22 each.

I do feel I did these swatches “wrong.”  I tried to do blended out swatches plus “full volume” swatches.  But spreading them over a large surface area with your finger is not a good idea. The thinner you spread the cream, the faster it dries, and it’s hard to get a light-but-uniform swatch. Tapping on and spreading worked a little better, but brushes would have been best.

For me (not performing in an underwater circus anytime soon), the “right” way to apply to my lids is to tap a fluffy brush (my all-purpose Sonia Kashuk Large Crease Brush) on the cream, then buff over my lid, adding more until I reach the desired intensity. For cheeks, I’d do the same thing with my regular domed blush brush — tap it on the product, then apply to cheeks. Using brushes might have given a more accurate representation of how these will look in action, but that just wasn’t an option.

First the cheek/lip colors:
Make Up For Ever, Makeup Forever, Aqua Cream, Aquacream, swatches, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Karla Sugar, KarlaSugar
5 is a lovely color (peached pink) but it has a LOT of gold sparkle. 6 is cool pink (with a sheen rather than sparkle). 7 is fuchsia with gold sparkle. 8 is hot tomato red with a strong sheen. 9 is guava pink with gold sparkle. 10 is vibrant orange with orange and gold sparkle (this translates to an almost metallic sheen at full volume).
Make Up For Ever, Makeup Forever, Aqua Cream, Aquacream, swatches, 1, 2, 3, 4, 12, Karla Sugar, KarlaSugar
The eye/cheek colors are all quite sparkly.  1 is charcoal black with sparkles (smoky eye, here I come!). 2 is pewter — warm grey “dirtied” with gold.  I wore this one as a wash all over my lid yesterday and got a TON of compliments.  Despite the insane heat and humidity, and all the time I spent outside, it lasted all day without creasing or moving.  I’m sold. 3 is a bright, cool, sparkly silver. 4 is bright white, and I think at low intensity it would make a neat highlight (if you’re not afraid of accidentally going too far and looking sort of futuristic). 12 is sparkly copper.
Make Up For Ever, Makeup Forever, Aqua Cream, Aquacream, swatches, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, Karla Sugar, KarlaSugar
13 is beige; in the light swatch it’s just a little more neutral/beige/less pink than 16. 13 and 16 are also really shimmery. 14, 15, and 17 are comparatively less shimmery (but still shimmery). 14 is warm (reddish) brown; 15 is warm (yellow) brown; 17 is red-purple — and it’s closer to brown the lighter you swatch it.
Make Up For Ever, Makeup Forever, Aqua Cream, Aquacream, swatches, 11, 18, 20, 21, 22, Karla Sugar, KarlaSugar
11 is sparkly dirty (almost greened) yellow-gold. 18 is sparkly lavender. 20 is sparkly cerulean. 21 is sparkly aqua (with gold sparkles!). 22 is sparkly grass green.

Aqua Creams are $23 each, available at Sephora.com.

26 Responses to “Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream”

• Amy says:

I’m so grateful Karla that you do swatches of complete collections. It’s so helpful to narrow everything down, especially with your first arm swatch of all shades. I got #15, which I love love love. Now I need #2, #6 and #13 for sure!! Thank you!!

• JustMe says:

Karla you are the best!Thanks for this swatches!

• These look incredible! I am wondering, with them
    drying so fast, is application as a cheek color really a viable option do you think? I’m sure they’d make great eye colors, liners & bases, but what do they feel like on the lips (and does a gloss top-coat alter the water resistance? Anyone out there know, or am I just going to have to pick a shade or two up and test for myself? ;)

• waffo says:

Great, i was waiting for these swatches !

For information, there is a #19 (at least in France) and it’s a violet. I don’t know why this color is not sold in North America ???

• Phyrra says:

7, 20, and 21 are the ones I think look pretty :)

• stalkthepostman says:

OMG! Thanks for swatching these…can’t wait to pick some up! I can’t believe all the work that you do….us girls that live in BF nowhere (and rely on ordering online) TRULY appreciate your blog and efforts!! :)

• Connie says:

OMG! Thank you sooo MUCH for swatching all of them, this is so helpful! As always you’re the BEST Karla!

• Pandor@ says:

Wow! Just what I need for my vacation! :-)

Oh, and dear Karla, you know, it’s just occured to me, that it may be a good idea to show to us the packaging/bottles/tubes/etc. in what new products come out in. That’ll give us a better idea. Thanks =*

• Roberta says:

The #19 is not sold in the US because is has ingredients that are not approved for use in the US. It was sold for about a week then was pulled from the MUFE store. It looks so pretty on the MUFE website.

• Claudia says:

oh WOW these are amazing swatches! I noticed these on Sephora’s site and was really curious. Thanks so much, Karla!!

• Jeanie says:

I bought #5 and it’s super pretty as both cheek and lip colour!!! for lip, I have to layer some gloss on top of it (Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss in Baby Pout) and it’s a lovely pinky nude. As a blush, it’s so natural and gives you a healthy glow. I’ve kept this in my make up bag since the day I bought it!

• eva says:

hi karla!! there is a number 19!! i just bought it today at sephora (Spain), it is a geargous deep purple, lide MUFE 92 eyeshadow in cream form. I had already realized that sephora.com didnt carry that shade and i am surprised cause its the shade that the swimmers are wearing in the promo pictures. thanks for the swatches!! If you want i can send you a picture with the swatch

Eva, I would love that! Yes, please!

• Angela says:

Loving these. I’m really into #22 and the whole arm of bronzes and coppers!

• eva says:

please karla send me your email in order to send you the swatches!! i have them now

• Corinne says:

I want #19 so bad! anyone willing to CP it to me? lol

• Nicole says:

#13 was sold out at my Sephora! It’s soooo gorgeous. I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I picked up #16 for now, to hold me over. LOL.

• chocfull says:

Formulas 5 to 10 are made for lips & cheeks. Can it be used on eyes too? You do lovely swatches.

• Ivy says:

Thanks for the great tip how to apply these aqua creams. Now they really look gorgeous when I use them!

• Phyrra says:

Thank you for these swatches! I just picked up 21, 22 and 12 based on them and really love them :)

• Crystal says:

I’m overdue to just say “THANK YOU” for your legwork, fabulous swatches and dedication to diva-ness! I’m a pro Artist and it’s immensely helpful to see colors rather than having to go to the stores or sephora to swatch colors before I call brands to order. ThaaannnkkS so much!
    Crystal

• Melani says:

Where do I buy it?!?

Are you in the U.S., Melani? Sephora or Sephora.com is the easiest answer. If you’re in Dallas or L.A., those cities have Make Up For Ever boutiques.