I was talking to the gorgeous and fantastically talented KaiserMimiVII of Makeup Withdrawal (check out her awesome blog for arm swatches, nail swatches, and “Face of the Day” photos) — she asked me why, over the course of my swatching adventures, I had neglected one of her favorite brands, LORAC. I meant no disrespect! I know the brand makes ridiculously soft and pigmented eyeshadow, and I’m very curious to learn more… I just haven’t gotten to it yet.
To remedy my swatching oversight, KaiserMimiVII offered to guest swatch her personal collection of LORAC palettes. Â I jumped at the chance, knowing that these babies turn up on makeup sale sites often (and at amazing prices).
KaiserMimiVII is NC20, perhaps closer to NC25 in the summertime. These swatches were taken outdoors with no flash; the palettes themselves (packaging) were photographed indoors, under a natural light bulb with slow flash. KaiserMimiVII estimates that she made her swatches with a medium hand (not “maximum volume,” but not lightly either).
Enough talking from me; here are KaiserMimiVII’s thoughts and swatches:
To the best of my knowledge, this style of four-eyeshadow-one-blush palette went for $36 originally (at least, that’s what the current palette, Croc, is going for). On the LORAC VIP clearance page, they were on sale for $10.99 (there are still a few Pink Pythons left); same on HauteLook. I see all three of these palettes on Ebay usually going between $15 to $35.
The Miss Davenporte Showstopper palette contains:
- Sand – pearly cream
- Serenity – frosty, peachy champagne
- Luxe – deep metallic bronze
- Glamour – dark charcoal with silvery micro glitter
- Couture blush – shimmery peachy pink with golden sheen
- Enlighten – pearly eggshell
- Moonstone – frosty peach cream
- Bronze – copper penny shimmer
- South Beach – shimmery aqua
- Desire blush – blue-based pink with shimmer
- Enchanted Ivory – frosty pearl
- Mystical Gold – golden beige shimmer
- Charming Copper – warm brown shimmer
- Royal Brown – matte bark brown with copper microglitter
- Hypnotically Peach – Shimmery dark peach
All of LORAC’s blushes and shimmery colors are silky smooth, though the matte-with-glitter shades, Royal Brown and Glamour, aren’t quite smooth on account of the glitter. These two shades are different LORAC’s regular single matte shadows, which tend to be more finely milled.