Update: Stereo Rose vs. Stereo Rose

I promised you guys side-by-side swatches of the 2005 Stereo Rose and the 2010 version, and I just wanted to let you know where I was with that.

One of my favorite local MAC artists has been with the company for a while, and she offered to lend me her 2005 version… forgetting that she’d given it to her sister, who lives in Seattle.  A second artist overheard us discussing it, and offered to lend me hers… but she can’t find it either.

I think I’ve lined up a guest swatcher to photograph both (she says she doesn’t think there’s a difference), but I realized I also had something in the archives to tide me over.

Back in late 2008, the utterly amazing Memememe photographed and swatched her personal collection of every MSF ever made (at that time). She’s ~NC25 (a little darker than I am) and her pictures were taken indoors, but her Stereo Rose swatch definitely looks more pink than mine.
MAC, Mineralize Skinfinish, MSF, swatches, Light Flush, Stereo Rose, Northern Light, Global Glow, Warmed, Shooting Star, So Ceylon, Gold Deposit, Metal Rock
MAC, In the Groove, swatches, Mineralize Skinfinish, MSF, By Candlelight, Stereo Rose, Petticoat, Comfort, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
I also saw comparison swatches on The Beauty Look Book today and Lina reached the same conclusion: that the older version was perhaps a bit more pink and the new one is a bit more coral.

Do you think this color just swatches differently on different skintones?  Or do you think there’s a difference?

If I get any more information on the subject, I’ll post it!

10 Responses to “Update: Stereo Rose vs. Stereo Rose”

• sixpomegranateseeds says:

did you purchase SR? how much veining does your have? mine has very little, and it swatches a bit more pink.

• VexintheCity says:

Hmm well every product will swatch differently on varying skin tones as a given. This is my first experience with Stereo Rose and I’m NC50 and I love it! Very pleased with my purchase. Pink, coral – whatever …I love it regardless :-)

• Jenny04105 says:

I heard that it all depends on the Veining and that some are more pink than others.

• chibu74 says:

i missed buying it….hope it comes out with some other collection soon.

great post

• Sabrina says:

Hi Karla! This is a tough question. I think it depends on the skintone + degree of veining.

I’ve seen 2005 vs 2010 comparisons on Specktra, some say there’s a difference, some say there’s no difference.

Even those who say there is no difference, I personally see a difference in their swatch photos.

Who knows, lol! All I know is that the ones I have are slightly different in color. Not so much when you look at them. But once they’re on my skin it looks different.

• Arianne says:

I am NC35 and it definitely looks more pink on me than your swatch here.

I have an arm swatch and a full face pic on this blog post.

• Nina says:

I think SR is very orange. The original may have been more pink, but I have tried several different store testers and regardless of the amount if veining, they come up an incredibly uninteresting orange – there is virtually no iridescence at all! I don’t see what the fuss is about – I can only conclude that the original must have been much more interesting. The shadows from “In the Groove” are stunning, however!

• Blusherine says:

hi karla, “the beauty lookbook” did a side by side comparison if you want to check it out:
    all the best and i love your website!
    blusherine

• Liz says:

Hi, I have a stereo rose from 2005 when it was released with the goldplay collection. If you like I can swatch it for you?

Liz

• STYT says:

It solely depends on lighting, undertone in skin, backdrop and the overall mix of the product. All of the MSF’s have veins of colour in them… sometimes larger veins of gold than pink etc.
    I’m sure the colour has changed some over the time gap… but it could have a lot to do with those other factors.
    I think the best thing, as with all makeup is to just try it on your own skin.