Tarte Natural Matte Lip Stain

Tarte has issued a fascinating follow-up to their Natural Lip Stain (the moisturizing glossy lip crayons): Natural MATTE Lip Stains.

Like the original Natural Lip Stains, the Matte lipstains are chubby pencils, infused with moisturizing “LipSurgence” technology, vitamins C and E, jojoba seed oil, and peppermint oil. They contain no parabens, petrolatum, pthalates, mineral oil, sodium lauryl sulfate, or synthetic dyes or fragrances. (They smell like mint.)

It’s tricky to create a product that’s both matte and moisturizing (especially when you’re doing it without petrolatum), and on top of it all, the Matte stains are really lightweight.
Tarte, Natural Matte Lip Stain, lipstain, swatches, Hope, Lucky, Lively, Fiery, Exposed, Envy, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
The only thing I don’t get is that these don’t seem particularly staining. Have you tried them (or their glossy counterparts)?  Are they long-wear?

Both versions are $24 each.

11 Responses to “Tarte Natural Matte Lip Stain”

• Voxy says:

Long-wear? I haven’t tried the matte ones, but the glossy ones virtually fly off my lips as soon as I’ve applied them. Such a disappointment! I had such high hopes for those products. Hope the matte ones are better!

• Hello says:

I tried a couple of the glossy ones on at ulta. They’re more like semi-stains to me.

• Michelle says:

I have the stain in original flavour and it doesn’t last all that long. I bought for my Florida vacation thinking I could put it on and forget about it but it was gone well before lunch. The colour is nice but not worth the price (In Canada they’re $31, which is a pretty steep increase considering USD is almost at parity with the Canadian dollar).

• I agree with the other commenters–I have four of the glossy stains and they don’t last that long. However, the stains that do last longer on me only end up lasting around the edges of my lips, leaving an ugly ring :( And most stains tend to be very drying. Even those the Tarte glossy stains aren’t that long lasting, they do stain, and they stain and wear evenly. I bought three of mine during Tarte’s FF sale, so I feel like it was a good deal :)

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I have the glossy version in “Enchanted” which is a somewhat bright rose tone. I love it and have been wearing it everyday this summer! I guess I love the color, esp. when I put my B.E. gloss in “Lisa” over the top, plus, I love the minty smell. True, it doesn’t last all that long, but I still love it!

• gena says:

Peppermint oil is very drying and damaging to lips. That’s the reason I didn’t buy any of these. To me they look very pretty and I love the matte look.

• bisbee says:

I have several of the glossy stains – I like them a lot. They stay put on me. I then bought some of the matte versions – I thought they were horrible and returned to Sephora. They felt dry and looked grainy on my lips.

• The BB says:

I have the Natural Lip Stain in Lust (red) and love it. It usually lasts up until lunch time. It won’t make it through a meal, but it’s handy enough to take on the go. And I would love to try the matte version in Lively (hot pink). Looks like they are quite popular, all the shades are currently sold out on Tarte’s site.

• Lorraine ER says:

I have the matte shade “Hope” and it stays put longer than any lipstick I own. It stays looking good for 4-5 hours and longer with gloss or balm on top. I love it and wish there was a wider range of shades available.

• Serena says:

I’m searching similar looking to Envy. Where can I find similar color to Envy? Please somebody help me..

Hey Serena, what exactly are you looking for? A color match that’s cheaper, or is any price point okay? Do you want just the color, or a matte finish as well?