TFMA: Applying Liquid Liner

I might as well admit it: I am lacking in the liquid-liner-application-skills department. I just need more practice (and the new MAC Superslick liners look so cool, I’m motivated to work on it).

While I was swatching the Superslick liners, I overheard a tip that intuitively made so much sense that I thought, “Of course I knew that… did I know that?”

A makeup artist was telling a customer to apply liquid liner from the outside of the eye toward the inner corner. You want your eyeliner to be a bit thicker toward the outer corner (mimicking the distribution and length of “ideal” lashes), and whether you’re using a tiny brush, felt tip pen, or delicate sponge tip, it’s going to deposit the most product on first touch — so of course you’d want to start at the outside.

I just thought it was worth mentioning.

8 Responses to “TFMA: Applying Liquid Liner”

• ter says:

I’m with you Karla….totally having a “duh me ” moment right now! Lol Thx for sharing!

• Tracy says:

This was how I felt when a MUA told me to start applying mascara from the outside in. “Why didn’t I already know that?” High on the duh factor, but I’d never thought of it before. Now I will remember it for liquid liner too!

• Amber says:

Wow thank you for sharing this, totally makes sense :)

• Diane C. says:

That makes sense, but I think it would be awkward. I actually draw 2 lines when I apply mine: one from the center to the outer corner, and then one from the inside corner to the center. Accomplishes pretty much the same thing!

• Nora B. says:

I agree with Diane C (above) plus another tip. The VERY BEST way I found to do my “wing” on the outer corners is to follow my smile lines. I’ve yet to hear of anybody else tell this secret. That is to say, smile…follow the natural curve of your eye, for the most part, and apply liner there. Then it emphasizes your natural beauty instead of completing creating a line. You kinda have to play with it a bit to make it work with your eye shape, but it’s a great way if you’re just starting with liquid liner.

• snow0016 says:

thanks for sharing this!

• Acie says:

To achieve a perfect winged liner, apply a small strip of tape, (to lessen the tackiness of the tape, swipe it across your hand a couple of times before attaching to the skin). To the outer corner of the eye, imagine a diagonal line running from the outer tip of your nose to the outer edge of the eye. With your eyeliner brush, draw a diagonal line from the outer corner of your eye towards the middle of your lash line. Remove the tape and follow the line you just made with the tape. Perfect winged liner.

• Sandra says:

I use the paper-type first aid tape, which doesn’t adhere to the skin quite so much. It’s also an excellent tool for picking up fallout under the eyes without disturbing any makeup you might have already applied. And if you’ve accidentally blended your eyeshadow out where you don’t want it, this removes it instantly without having to start over again. I go through whacks of rolls of the stuff. Dollar Tree sells it all the time. Cheap & very effective.