MAC Tartan Tale: Eyeshadow Palettes

MAC, Tartan Tale, holiday, 2010, displayI usually start a holiday collection with the individual items, but this year the eyeshadow palettes spoke to me. There are four options, each containing six shadows and an adorably/comically tiny 213 brush. They’re $36 each.

My favorite is the 6 Dashing Lassie Eye Shadow Palette — just look at all those pretty, wearable neutrals! The eponymous A Dashing Lassie is a beige satin that is thinking lilac thoughts. Once Upon a Time is a frosty warm beige (slightly peachy) pink. I’m pretty sure I said, “no way!” when I saw that Magical Mist is a Lustre; it behaves much more like a Frost or a Veluxe Pearl. It’s a totally drool-worthy taupe (grey brown). Bronze (a permanent shade) is warm, frosty reddish-brown. Buckwheat is a darker, shimmery red-brown. Showstopper is a cool, dark brown matte.  MAC has been repromoting this color a lot lately, but it’s a great shade, so I don’t blame them.
MAC, Tartan Tale, swatches, eye kit, eye palette, 6 Dashing Lassie Eye Shadow Palette, Once Upon a Time, Bronze, Buckwheat, A Dashing Lassie, Magical Mist, Showstopper, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Next up (and equally gorgeous) is the 6 Beauties Play It Cool Eye Shadow Palette — I love palettes that present a variation on a theme. Silverwear is a pale satin lilac. Hold My Gaze is a blue grey with a few tiny sparkles (you can’t see them at all in this photo). To the Ball is a purple grey matte. Altered State is an amazing reflective purple… unfortunately, I really had to build up that swatch. Magic Moor is potentially even more alluring, a really blackened violet with some iridescent reflectiveness to it. Heather Belles is soft black. Shades 3 – 6 did take a bit of work; this palette wasn’t quite as pigmented as the Dashing Lassies.
MAC, Tartan Tale, swatches, eye kit, eye palette, 6 Beauties Play It Cool Eye Shadow Palette, Heather Belles, To the Ball, Hold My Gaze, Magic Moor, Altered State, Silverwear, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
6 Twists of Tartan makes me wish I could pop the pans out these palettes and rearrange. I LOVE Lady’s Prance. It’s light warm grey, the color of clay water, the color of bisque porcelain. It’s matte and pigmented and fabulous. I’m less sure what to do with the rest of the palette.

Rolled Gold is a pretty antiqued gold (again, more “frost” or “veluxe pearl” than “lustre”). High Spirits is a sheer, reflective shamrock green. It’s not terribly pigmented. Vainglorious is a maroon burgundy, repromoted from Venomous Villains’ Evil Queen. Set to Dance is an amazing indigo… too bad it’s so sheer and chalky. Bows & Curtseys is a satin hunter green, so dark you might think it was black.
MAC, Tartan Tale, swatches, eye kit, eye palette, 6 Twists of Tartan, Vainglorious, Rolled Gold, Lady's Prance, High Spirits, Bows and Curtseys, Set to Dance, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Finally, 6 Reelers and Rockers. White Rabbit is a low-shimmer white (not quite matte). Melt My Heart is a cool, frosty silver. Carbon is black, and a bit chalky as usual. Family Treasures is an orangey-blonde shimmer. Gaelic Gold is an olive-brown gold frost. Crown & Sceptre is a red-brown frost.
MAC, Tartan Tale, swatches, eye kit, eye palette, 6 Reelers and Rockers, Carbon, White Rabbit, Melt My Heart, Gaelic Gold, Crown & Sceptre, Family Treasures, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Do any of these make your must-buy list?

22 Responses to “MAC Tartan Tale: Eyeshadow Palettes”

• Diann says:

I do love the Dashing Lassie colors!!!

• These are nice, but nothing special. I think it is the cute packaging tempting me more than anything.

• Silvia says:

Your swatches are always perfect for me, thank you!

I was interested in Twists of Tartan and Beauties Play it Cool but I’ll pass. To use just half of a palette is not for me.

• Jen says:

This seems similar to last year’s holiday collection. But I am excited for the plaid eyeshadows and new lipcolors!

• Baril says:

I don’t normally cave in for collections, but they must know I love everything Scottish! I just wish some things, like the lipglosses, were sold separately so I could get just one for its name and not a whole set.

• Lena says:

I cannot wait for this collection! looks very promising!

• Evelyn says:

This is so helpful! I realize I have similar colors (and nicer ones) so pass on these for me! :)

• Rita says:

I don’t know if I will get any of these now. I already have 1/3 of the browns and purples. R&R is a no-no because there’s too many VPs (they don’t stay put on me). I was thinking of Twists of Tartan, but I have to see it in person.

• Melissa says:

Thanks for swatching Karla, I’m loving the Dashing Lassie palette too! I’m also looking forward to the lip sets, moreso for the tins than for the actual product.

• Sam says:

Oh no… they ALL speak to me- can’t decide, I want them all!

• Lindsey9107 says:

You had me at “drool-worthy taupe.”

I didn’t think I needed any of these but now I might need 6 Dashing Lassies!

• Amber says:

I like the reelers and rockers shadows :)
    I am most interested in the Viva Glam V gloss

• Isabella says:

Dashing Lassie is my favourite, thanks for the swatches!

• LU says:

Thanks for the swatches! Dashing Lassies really is the gem out of these for me, so I’m considering getting it instead of a piggie set like I had planned.

• Natalie says:

Thank you so so much for your input on the 6 Twists of Tartan palette. I was considering buying it just for that green shade, but if it’s sheer then I can safely pass. Once again my money is saved thanks to you! ^_^

• saku says:

The lassies and reelers and rockers looks good.

• Shamini says:

Personally I think they are too similar to the ones that came out with “Magic, Mirth and Mischief” – so I don’t think I’ll be picking up any of the palettes. “Reelers and Rockers” are kinda calling my name, but I’m trying to be strong. Good thing though, since my list is too long already. ;)

• They look nice but I also dont see anything special, the packing is cute but I think I’ll skip these :)
    Thanks for the swatches…

• Donna says:

So tempted by the Play It Cool eyeshadows!

• andrea says:

i wanted the neutral palette but i was so disaponited when i arrived to the store today(it was just released today in mexico) and not happy that they didnt gave me my pro discount(which they did in previous collections)they cost like 800 pesos (about 70 usd)!! i dont think its worth the money :(

• Jody says:

Woohooo….finally someone who swatched all Tartan Tale eyeshadow palettes. Thank you so much….this helped tremendously. God Bless.

• Stephanie says:

I have the 6 BEAUTIES PLAY IT COOL and I wonder how you can built so much pigments colors from it…