Advice, please

When your nail polish bottles get down to just below the halfway mark and you have trouble getting product on the brush, what do you do? Throw them away? Use another bottle to the same extent, then combine the two?

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

31 Responses to “Advice, please”

• Mana says:

I take a polish that has a longer brush like Nail Life Gripper and when that bottle is empty I save the brush, then I use it for the polishes that are below the halfway mark. Or as I do each nail I tilt the bottle and pick it up from the sides

• Anne says:

I read a blog post about using silly putty as a solution to this problem. For more, you can go here: http://polishorperish.blogspot.com/search?q=putty. I haven’t tried it yet, but is seems like a pretty neat solution.

Oh Anne, that was hilarious! I followed the link, expecting them to suggest putting putty IN the bottle (to raise the level of the liquid inside). Creating an semi-sticky base to hold the bottle at an angle is clever! Maybe I should pick up some putty…

• Sammi says:

I pour some from a new bottle into the old (plus a few drops of thinner). The new bottle stays in my stash until I’ve poured it all into the old bottle, then I use the empty for frankens.

• Kristina says:

Yep, just like you said – when this happens to me, I buy another one, use it halfway up, then combine the contents of the two bottles!

• Jean says:

I drop a couple of thinners if necessary, and put the polish bottle in hot (not boiling, not lukewarm) water for a bit–makes the liquid move around better, so when I tilt the bottle it’s much easier to reach down and get what’s left. It also works for lip glosses!

• Jean says:

I meant, I put in a couple of drops of nail polish thinner in; typo day today.

• Rica says:

I rarely finish the bottle without drying them up so I would say, throw them away. LOL.

• Kae says:

I stop using the product (in my case a quick dry topcoat) at the halfway mark and use a new bottle. When that new bottle is half gone I take one of the used halves and pour it into the other for a “new” bottle. If it needs a little bit of thinning I might put a few drops of thinner as well.

• Shannon says:

i usually just tilt it sideways to dip the brush. also usually by halfway mark it’s probably really gooey/dry from overuse, so i would need to use some thinner anyway, and adding thinner usually bumps it up to higher than the halfway mark, making it easier to get to lol.

i do also have a huge bottle of SV that i just keep filling my halfway bottle with though. but i like some of the solution posted here, including the “use another bottle halfway, then pour in the other half”. i probably need to do this with my Barielle base coats XD

• Arduinna says:

Throw them away! i have so many and i feel good when i finish (or half finish) a product!Gives me reason for my next purchase! ;)

• I’m having the same issue with my Seche Rebuild and Restore right now! I’ve just been tilting the bottle, though I suspect I will need to buy new ones soon. Why don’t they just make longer brushes?

• chibu74 says:

I shake up the bottle for every application…kinda painful but helps…i also use nail polish thinner to loosen it up a bit. else, I just mix it with other half bottle n/p

• JPScraps says:

Tilt the bottle :)

• maybelle says:

I actually purchased one of those silicone bottle tilting bases when I made a large order from Transdesign. You might be able to find them at Sally’s, too. They work well and don’t slide around on my smooth table.

You can also transfer the contents to an empty mini bottle, or get rid of the contents and use the bottle to franken new shades. I personally wouldn’t dump the Vivid…I’ve been trying to find a bottle myself.

• Mimi says:

I tilt the bottle and try to use as much as I can. When it becomes impossible to get any more out, I clean the bottle and reuse it for frankening. Go reusing! :D

• jayme says:

If it is a product i love and am going to repurchase i just combine it with part of another bottle of the same stuff. If i did not like the product than i use it for frankening.

• Violet says:

I tilt it and use it as long as I can and then I go and get a new one. Once the new one has some room in it, I pour in what’s left of the old one. This really only happens to me with base coat and top coat, though!

• Margie says:

I buy a new bottle of the same thing and pour half of it into the old bottle. I like it when my top coat gets a bit thicker so it keeps it thick and stops it getting over-thick to dilute it with new product.
    Then when the new bottle is all used up pouring into the old one I use it for frankens or decants :)

• Junie says:

You need a tilted nail polish holder:
    I think I got mine at Sally’s beauty supply. I have not purchased off the site link, just wanted to show you what it looked like.

• shaimaa says:

Tilt the bottle with or without the tilted nail polish

• Patricia says:

I’m a bottle tilter too, I tilt the heck out of the little suckers until it’s physically impossible to retrieve more polish and then I combine those small leftovers and franken them! All while cursing companies for not making longer brushes…

• Renata says:

These look good, you can change the inclination as you need:

• London says:

I’m just getting into nail polish too so I’m taking notes here, LOL! I have yet to use one polish far enough to need these tips. Great question Karla!

• Becca says:

Polish thinner…it works! Esp with Seche Vite which gets thick almost immediately

• Carrie says:

This is a great question, I’ve wondered the same thing myself. What I’m wondering about next is how to properly clean an empty or nearly empty bottle if you do want to use it for frankens.

• Jaime Leah says:

I never thought about this. I’ve never gotten that far down in a polish in my life and I used to do nearly daily polish changes in middle school. Great question.

• Gigi says:

I wouldn’t throw it away unless the color was crappy or if it was just so thick, that the polish wasn’t drying properly anymore in between coats.
    Usually I drop a few drops of thinner in.. Hmm, I never thought to put in another polish of the same shade. I think I’d begin experimenting and try and modify the shade though (if I didn’t like it that much to begin with)

• Lizzard says:

hey Karla, I actually buy a second bottle and use the second one until about the same mark, then combine. Especially because I really love Seche Vite and it’s just too expensive to only use half way ya kknow… good luck!

• Lauren says:

Add a few drops(5 to 10) of nail polish thinner until you are satisfied with the consistency. You can find that at any nail supply store and definetely sally beauty supply.

• i know the problem, my advice is to refill the bottle when the content hits the bottom of the logo printed on the bottle, so when your bottle is 2/3 full ad new product to keep it fresh, the new (refill) bottle will stay fresh and fluid because your polish product will go goopier each time it’s exposed to oxygen (we love high speed drying on the nail but unfortunately it does thesame in the bottle.
    good luck refilling!

ps and by the time you used 1/3 you know if you like to product or not so maybe your local salon is kind enough to sell you the salon refill products to last forever;)