Bare Escentuals Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Sticks

I confess readers, I have not gotten on the mineral train. I have not swirled, tapped, OR buffed. So for the past 3 years, I have not been paying close attention to Bare Escentuals.

They recently exploded into my daily consciousness with a Sephora freebie: a Buxom Lip Stick in Amsterdam (lip-swatched here). I’m so enamored of it, I was compelled to go swatch all the available shades… and now I’ve gone from being essentially unaware of the product to wanting at least four shades.

The Lip Stick is a semi-dry lip crayon (hence the space between “lip” and “stick”). Most of the shades are non-staining (the darkest shades are slightly staining), but they provide a lightweight, natural matte lip color unlike any other product I’ve tried.
Buxom, Big and Healthy, Lip Stick, swatches, Brooklyn, Las Vegas, Monte Carlo, Bombay, Barcelona, Havana, Marrakech, Amsterdam, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Buxom, Big and Healthy, Lip Stick, swatches, Milan, Berlin, Shanghai, San Francisco, Vienna, Fresno, Athens, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
The Lip Sticks have the same caramel/burnt sugar scent as the Buxom glosses — but apply them to your lips and that scent will be entirely masked by a minty cool, tingling scent/feeling. It’s a scientific miracle: you can’t smell the mint unless the product is on your lips. (And the formula did not irritate my arm.)

My favorite (naturally) is slightly nude warm-pink Amsterdam, followed by coral-rose Bombay.

Full size Lip Sticks are $18 each, sold exclusively by Sephora. Unfortuantely, Vienna, Fresno, and Athens are only available as half-size “minis” in sets: Vienna and Fresno are part of the City Slickers set; Athens is included in the Travel in Style set. I like Athens, but the lighter shades seem to show lip lines a bit more. Maybe that one’s meant to be paired with gloss.

And I’m curious: if you live in one of these cities, do you think your color represents the tastes of your city?

8 Responses to “Bare Escentuals Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Sticks”

• Kayvid says:

Bombay should’ve been what Barcelona or Havana is. Or maybe a outright purple or hot pink. It is a very vibrant and loud city that stands out.

• Evelyn says:

I live in Brooklyn and I’d say no. lol Brooklyn is too bright and diverse a place for such a neutral color. I’ve tried to buy it, really, but the color just didn’t grab me. Monte Carlo though, that one I had to have!

• hello says:

las vegas says blonde stripper to me.

• oops says:

haha Fresno? really. that says dark gutter black hole to me. it’s a pretty color tho.

marakesch says the desert.

san francisco – sophisticated yuppie.

• kat says:

i live in brooklyn and i think it does go with a brooklyn-in-fall vibe. i love these things–i wasn’t big into be but these lip sticks are great. i work 12 hour shifts as an rn and get pretty good wear out of ‘em too.

• Millie says:

Love these! I bought a set from Sephora last year with buxom lip sticks and buxom glosses. All the colors looked good on me. :)

• Jaime Leah says:

I got the city slickers set and it’s fabulous! I love these and they look really great with the gloss over them.

Thanks for the other swatches.

• Naomi says:

I disagree with you Evelyn, I think Brooklyn’s color does describe Brooklyn; it is a laidback and wearable color that I think a lot of people could pull off so it fits a diverse group of people ;) p.s. I am from Brooklyn too!