Bond No. 9 Texas

Bond No. 9, TexasA friend recently introduced me to a fragrance house which I have very quickly come to respect very much.  The brand is Bond No. 9, and (with a few exceptions) their fragrances are named for New York neighborhoods or landmarks — each fragrance is meant to embody its namesake.

What I admire about Bond is their extraordinary craftsmanship. Each fragrance is so deftly layered; they unfold into these amazing scent stories.

My hope is to sniff my way through Bond’s entire (impressive) catalog, but I felt I should start with one of their more recent creations: the limited edition Texas.

It’s not just state pride that drives me to review this fragrance: Texas is only for sale in Saks Fifth Avenue in the Lone Star State. I feel obliged to spread the word beyond our borders.

To begin: Texas has a LOT of notes (but it’s not a bad thing).

Top: Mandarin, Bergamot, Black Currant, Pineapple Leaves
Heart: Jasmine, Gardenia, Hedione, Neroli, Lily of the Valley
Base: Vanilla, Vetiver, Cardamom, Musk, Oakmoss

The different layers reveal themselves like Violet Beauregard’s eight-course gum. I keep spraying it on cards/myself and I smell something slightly different each time. The first wave is refreshing citrus (lime?), followed by spice and pine, ending on warm vanilla and vetiver.

Another interesting thing about Bond: they treat scent not as a binary (“for men” or “for women”), but as a sliding scale. Each of their offerings falls somewhere on the male-female spectrum, and each individual can choose what smells right on them. To me, Texas smells like a masculine scent for women (but I don’t think it would seem “wrong” to smell it on a man, either).

Unfortunately, Texas is one of Bond’s more expensive offerings. Because the bottles are each decorated with 800 Swarovski crystals, a 3.3 oz (100 ml) flacon will run you $360.

7 Responses to “Bond No. 9 Texas”

• Oh, I’ve never heard of them! I’m obsessed with fragrance- love hearing about different houses! xx

• Alicia says:

I LOVE LOVE Bond No 9 China town. Probably top 3 for me.

• Jean says:

I love their scents, they’re a lot more unique than the mass market scents out there (even the good ones like J’Adore from Dior.)

Unfortunately none of their scents fall into my price range, so I’ve only sniffed other people’s perfumes. The crystals WOULD definitely make it more expensive, but then again it is a limited edition.

Fortunately a lot of people decant small amounts of the perfume and sell them at a much smaller cost on websites (well, the amount is much smaller so they should be cheaper.)

• waftbyCarol says:

Bond is very generous with their wrapped Bon-Bon samples when I am in their flagship store on Bond Street in NOHO .
    If you would like , I can send you at least 20 of them to try . E-mail me !

• Chelsea says:

I’m with Alicia. Bond No. 9 Chinatown is something else. When you’re done with the LEs, it should be first on your to-sniff list. Nothing smells quite like it, and that first sniff is guaranteed to be delightful. Since I can’t afford one of their lovely, cherry blossom-festooned bottles (sniff), I plan on purchasing a Chinatown decant. Beauty Encounter sells many of the house’s bon bon samples; it’s where I nabbed mine.

• ChefMichelleNYC says:

I LOVE Bond No. 9, but have never heard of Texas… I own 5 of their fragrances and they are really something special…

• Carissa says:

I have Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol-Silver Factory. It’s like chinatown with the incense base but with more of a lighter quality. MUST have. Also, they are fantastic with customer service. They sent me a sample of the newer fragrance Washington Square, but this was no .03 oz sample, I swear this was a HUGE spray-vial of nearly .5 oz. Okay that is a tiny exaggeration, but it’s a very sizeable sample.

I have used Fragrancenet for deals with them. I am not a vendor. This has gotten way too long for a comment.

Moral of the story, GREAT fragrance house.