Chanel Rouge Coco Shine: Boy

I recently sneak peeked that Chanel has a new lipstick formula coming out: Rouge Coco Shine, which will replace the Aqualumiere formula. I also mentioned that certain retailers will be selling a single shade early, for Valentine’s Day. Neiman Marcus already had their tester out, so I swatched it (though they wouldn’t sell me one. They’re taking presales for the February 10th release).

Boy — named after the great love of Coco Chanel’s life, Captain Arthur Edward “Boy” Capel — is very sheer. When I sniffed the tube I detected a mild (but unidentifiable… floral?) scent.  I didn’t notice that scent as I applied the lipstick to my lips, and I definitely couldn’t smell it once I was wearing the lipstick.  Rouge Coco Shine feels as sheer as it looks, with a lot of the “slip” you feel when applying a Cle de Peau Extra Silky lipstick (a similar experience, not exactly the same).
Chanel, Rouge Coco Shine, Boy, swatches
I thought you guys would appreciate a lip swatch, so I endured the weird looks of the Neiman Marcus gardening crew. Here’s a photo of my naked lips (taken several months ago):
naked lips
Here’s Boy:
Chanel, Rouge Coco Shine, Boy, swatches
I thought Boy was a slightly blue-pink in the arm swatch (especially compared to CdP #105), and I thought my lips showed that blueness as well. In sunlight, in an arm-swatch, you can see that Boy has some tiiiny sparkles — they translate to a shine on the lips.

Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks are $32 each.

12 Responses to “Chanel Rouge Coco Shine: Boy”

• Penny says:

I really dislike that I only have Macy’s and Lord & Taylor for Chanel MU. Boy is gorgeous and I don’t want to wait until late April. I may have to call in a favor from a friend in Boston. Must have!

• Jennifer A. says:

Thanks for the swatches! As usual for Chanel, this looks hardly anything like their promo pics, so it’s great to see the reality. They definitely need to get on that.

• Liz says:

what a beautiful color! can’t wait until the full range debuts. i wonder how “boy” compares to Armani’s new rouge in #518.

• color corner says:

do you think they’re going to saks? that’s a really pretty pink though i don’t think it’ll suit my yellow olive skin :(

• m says:

@color corner Yes they’re coming to Saks Fifth Avenue as well. I can’t wait!

• Jackie says:

Ah! Rouge Coco Shine!? Newest biggest lemming…. officially launched. That’s such a pretty color too. TY TY!

• Kara says:

Hey Karla, Thanks for the swatch. I hope these are on the sheer moist side. I found the new (last summer) Bobbi Brown Lip Shines to actually just be a moisturizing lipstick with a lot of opaqueness to it. Are these feeling more “sheer” to you than that. Would you compare them to Chante Lip Chics? TY!

Kara — for me, what makes the Lip Chics so exceptional is their “heavy jelly” or “heavy balm” feeling. These Rouge Coco Shines *feel* very light, very sheer. They feel more like Cle de Peau’s Extra Silky lipsticks (though the experience is not precisely the same).

• lily says:

This is my new favorite color! It’s flirty, not overwhelming, and it’s gives just enough shine to wear your hair won’t stick to it. Very wearable during the day and in the evening, layer it with a lipgloss. Try using Chanel’s 148.

• Victoria says:

Love how u do the swatches Karla! Chanel website could learn a lot from you! Hope u get a commission cause I’m about to start the hunt online to see how I can get this one shipped to Aus!