My Date with Marcus Monson, Part 2

Marcus Monson, Karla SugarI always love getting my makeup done by a professional. First, because I look so glamorous afterwards, but second, because I always learn something new. My date with Marcus Monson this weekend was no exception, so I wanted to pass these new tricks on to you.

First, Marcus raised the placement of my crease color. I usually put my crease color in my crease (where my eyelid naturally folds over my eyeball — that seemed like the logical place).  He put that shadowy color just above my crease, on the rim of my orbital bone. It was a tiny change from what I normally do, but it makes my eyes look bigger.

eyeHere is a random, artistically blurred photo of my eye. When my eyes are open, you can see some amount of eyelid between the lashes and the crease. By placing the crease color just above the actual crease, Marcus left that lash-to-crease area light-colored — creating the illusion of bigger eyes. It’s so subtle!

I’ve already “tried this one at home” and I’m very pleased to say it was easy to reproduce the results.

Another crazy trick: Marcus applied lipstick, then a bit of gloss in the center of my lower lip. You’ve heard that one before — that shine acts as a highlight, making your lips look fuller. But then he added a dab of shimmery white eyeshadow on top of the gloss — he said it lasts longer, keeping that highlight in place.
Guerlain lips
What do you think? Ready to try these for yourself?

6 Responses to “My Date with Marcus Monson, Part 2”

• Melissa says:

That is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your tips. I started moving my crease color up above the crease recently and it does make a big difference. The lip color looks gorgeous, as do most “rose” shades on you. I like getting my makeup done by a professional even more than getting a massage!

• Ms. M says:

Marcus is the best of the best. I love how he applies makeup so lightly and yet it results in such a polished, pretty look.

• joolz says:

How beautiful! I would love to have my look done by a Guerlain artist as well!

• Liz says:

Wow, what a gorgeous makeover! Could you tell me what kind of brush would be best to recreate that eye trick? I’ve aimed for that trick before, but failed miserably. I think it’d work great for my eye shape if I could figure out how to apply it right though.

Liz — you mean a brush for crease placement? Yesterday I used the slightly angled eyeshadow brush from my Ecotools set (pictured here: http://karlasugar.net/2010/03/ecotools-6-piece-eye-brush-set/). I also like this $2 crease brush: http://karlasugar.net/2009/07/new-brush-discovery/

Unfortunately, I’m not sure what Marcus used.

• Liz says:

Yes, and thank you :) I tried this trick with too large/fluffy of a brush and it wound up above the crease, but way too much so. It didn’t wind up giving the look I’m seeing here, which is definitely what I was aiming for. I need a good smaller brush, maybe that second one you linked I’ll track down.