Chanel Summer

Chanel, Summer, 2011, displayChanel’s summer collection is on counters at last. It’s called Collection Les Fleurs d’Ete de Chanel, and I’ll be curious to know if it does evoke “summer flowers” for you.

Most Chanel collections begin with an eyeshadow quad. This summer’s is Lilium ($57), featuring a shimmery peony pink, a low-shimmer rich emerald/forest green, a low-shimmer apple green (springy yellow-green), and a low shimmer purple-taupe (purple-warm-grey).

And Chanel rather brilliantly made that fourth shade into a glorious, metallic-finish, iced-violet waterproof eyeliner pencil ($29): Rose Platine.

There’s also a new summer duo: Khaki-Discret ($42, not to be confused with the previously released Khaki-Clair). Khaki-Discret includes a low-shimmer forest green (darker and not as blue-green as the color in Lilium) and a low-shimmer, very whitened, light yellow-green.
Chanel, Summer, 2011, swatches, Collection Les Fleurs d'Ete de Chanel, Lilium, Khaki-Discret, Rose Platine, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Khaki-Discret has more of a satin-finish compared to Khaki-Clair’s matte. Discret’s dark green is also more green and more blue (Clair’s green is very muted). And Clair’s lighter shade is white.
Chanel, Summer, 2011, swatches, Collection Les Fleurs d'Ete de Chanel, Bronze Corail, Bronze Rose, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Chanel also has two… what should I call them, bronzing-blush? It’s Soleil de Tan, Moisturizing Bronzing Powder according to the website, but they look more like blush to me.

I swatched these powders three ways: first with a triangle sponge, all over all four shades equally — both light and heavy swatches. Then I swatched each of the four shades individually (because you may get a different “mix” as you run your brush over this product).

I was surprised that Bronze Corail was rather brown and mauvey on my arm. Bronze Rose is a natural pink. Both powders are $50 each.
And finally: the lips and nails. This collection offers two Rouge Coco lipsticks ($32): new, hot coral Sari Dore, and the repromoted Gardenia (this was Neiman Marcus’s exclusive shade for the original Rouge Coco launch).

There are three new Glossimers ($28.50): pink-with-silver-sparkles Pink Peony; sheer-coral-with-gold-sparkles Pensee; and clear-with-pink-and-gold-sparkles Aurore.
Chanel, Summer, 2011, swatches, Collection Les Fleurs d'Ete de Chanel, Sari Dore, Gardenia, Pink Peony, Pensee, Aurore, Morning Rose, Beige Petale, Mimosa, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Of course the internet has been buzzing about Mimosa… since before they knew what the shade would be called. It’s considered the star of Chanel’s summer polishes — though I suspect the shade will look best on medium-to-darker skintones. It’s a bright, saturated yellow with a very subtle shimmer.

The other two polishes of the summer collection are “safer” — Morning Rose is a bright, warm pink with gold sparkle. Beige Petale is very, very, very sheer ballet beige-pink. All three polishes are $25 each.

20 Responses to “Chanel Summer”

• Jessi says:

Everything buy the eyeshadows reminded me of summer flowers. But I think the quad is my favorite piece from this collection!

• Estelle says:

Lovely swatches, as always, Karla! Are the bronzers shimmery AT ALL, or are they matte? Thank you!!!

In a heavy swatch, Bronze Corail was sparkly; Bronze Rose was less sparkly, but it was shimmery. They have kind of a sheen in the photographs.

• Christa says:

Thanks Karla! Gorgeous pictures as always! I thought I was done ordering my Chanel summer items but you are making Bronze Rose hard to resist! A friend suggested that it would work nicely as eyeshadows as well so that should make us feel better spending our $$!

• Colleen says:

Thanks for the great swatches! I have been waiting to place my order until I saw yours. Do you know what lipcolor the model is wearing in the promotional photo? I am in love with it.

• Lori Jenkins says:

you made my day posting this! i’mm going to pass on most of it except the eyeliner – lovely!

• Seven says:

Nothing here is calling to me, good thing, I’ll have more $$$ when the Fall colors break. Great pix and description Karla, Thank You.

• AZ says:

I just picked up bronze rose today =) i feel a little guilty spending the money but when I swatched it I just couldn’t resist..
    Yes bronze corail is definitely more sparkly, even though the sparkles are very finely milled and not obvious, I prefer the less shimmery bronze rose. I also definitely agree that these aren’t true bronzers as well

and maybe karla can add a comment in the post about the brushes that came with the bronzers? I think it’s really soft and actually useable, which doesn’t happen often..

while I was there debating whether or not I should buy the bronzer.. they sold 2 mimosa nail polishes.. in like 10 minutes..

• Kittyskyfish says:

Interesting collection – the summer bronzers look beautiful! Bronze Rose is calling me. heh! I really must see Mimosa in person. It looks like Lamborghini yellow on my monitor (which would be totally cool btw).

• Corinna says:

Thank you for your great swatches. Do you have an idea what the model is wearing on her lips on the promo picture? I love that color but am not sure what she´s wearing.

• Kittyskyfish says:

Okay, so I saw Mimosa today in person – very pretty! Not Lamborghini yellow (lol) but a lighter, vivid yellow. :)

• Nalia says:

Hi,
    Great work. Thank you.

I was wondering… what is the model wearing on her lips?

My source says the model is wearing Gardenia Rouge Coco + Pink Peony Glossimer.

• Corinna says:

Thank you for letting us know, Karla!

• Chiara says:

I REALLY love this kind of greens!

• Colleen says:

Hey Karla,
    On Twitter you said it was Gardenia + PP. Can you clarify which it is? I so want to copy the look!

Yes, sorry Colleen. It is Gardenia (the Rouge Coco featured in this collection) with Pink Peony. I must have been distracted while writing out my comment, and I confused my white flowers.

• Colleen says:

Thanks Karla! I am looking forward to trying it out.

• Hanna says:

God I am so angry. We can get Gardenia in Canada and i really want the model’s lips. i am buying Pink Peony though….

• Corinna says:

@ Hanna:
    I did a bit of research and found out, that Rouge Allure Confindentielle should be quite similar to Gardenia. I guess I like to color even better! Maybe you want to give it a try – it is part of the permanent line.