Estee Lauder Summer 2011

Estee Lauder, Bronze Goddess, summer 2011, displayWith all the excitement over all the summer collections (and there are a lot of them), I don’t think Estee Lauder’s has gotten quite enough attention. Every year, Estee Lauder’s summer collection is a new incarnation of that summer ideal: “Bronze Goddess.” Connoisseurs look forward to new vintages of recurring items like the Bronze Goddess fragrances, and the limited edition blush-bronzers.

This year’s collection (Bronze Goddess Soleil) definitely has that Tom Pecheux flair. The eyes are bright and tropical; the lips are beautiful and wearable.
Estee Lauder, Bronze Goddess, summer 2011, swatches, Island Oasis, ShadowStick Duo, Gold Bronze, Pink Teal, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
The Island Oasis eyeshadow palette ($42, limited edition) features six punchy colors: a dark, matte green-black with yellow-green sparkles, a lion-yellow gold shimmer, a lagoon-blue shimmer, a rose-gold duochrome shimmer, a foxy red-brown shimmer, and a sheerish, pinky-beige white.

The ShadowStick Duos are dual-ended chubby pencils ($20, limited edition). You can wear them as liner or smudge them into shadow. 01 Gold Bronze is a very tawny, very yellow gold plus a warm yellow brown. 02 Pink Teal is duochrome pink-gold paired with seafoam teal green.
Estee Lauder, Bronze Goddess, summer 2011, swatches, Tiramisu, Pure Color Crystal Lipstick, Plum Divine, Blazing Coral, Sunburst, Pure Color Gloss, Shimmering Bronze, Bronze Goddess Liquid Bronzer, Karla Sugar, KarlaSugar
Tiramisu Pure Color Lipstick ($24) is a soft raspberry pink, which I think will be “my lips but better” for a lot of ladies. I don’t believe this color is limited edition, so fall in love freely.

The three Pure Color Lipglosses ($20) have doe’s foot applicators. Plum Divine is sheer plum with gold and pink sparkles. Blazing Coral is sheer orange with gold and pink sparkles. Sunburst is warm pink with gold sparkles.

Shimmering Bronze nail polish ($19) is limited to this collection; it’s a red-brown frost.

And for ladies who prefer liquid bronzer to powder, Bronze Goddess Liquid is $28.50. It’s buildable; this is a heavy swatch.
Estee Lauder, Bronze Goddess, summer 2011, swatches, Soft Matte Bronzer, Soft Shimmer Bronzer, Soft Duo Bronzer, Sea Star Bronzing Blush, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Yes, I did save the best for last. Did you ladies know how incredible Estee Lauder bronzers are? Why didn’t you tell me?

The first three bronzers in this photo (01 Soft Matte, 02 Soft Shimmer, and 03 Soft Duo) are permanent to the collection — halleluia! Estee Lauder’s bronzers are amazing.

Estee Lauder, summer 2011, Bronze Goddess Soleil, Sea Star Bronzing BlushI swatched them first light/medium, intending to layer more on for a “heavy” swatch. But even as I piled on the product (with a sponge), they never got too deep in color, too powdery or cakey in appearance. This is actually the heavy swatch — I didn’t think my two photos were different enough to warrant posting both.

Soft Shimmer looks quite sparkly in the pan — and I expected it to deliver MAC- or Bobbi Brown-level sparkle, but the sparkle was actually incredibly subtle on the skin.

My first choice for myself would probably be the lightest, peachiest Soft Duo Bronzer (its full name is 03 Soft Duo Bronzer – Medium. I don’t know if there was ever a “duo – light” or a “duo – dark”). The bronzers are $30 each.

And finally! The flagship piece of this collection: the highly coveted Sea Star Bronzing Blush ($34). You’ll know this year’s blush on sight; the two tone powder has a starfish that goes all the way through to the pan. I blended the two shades together to achieve the pretty peach-pink you see in the swatch.

13 Responses to “Estee Lauder Summer 2011”

• S says:

I picked up the Sea Star Bronzing Blush a couple of weeks ago and it’s gorgeous. Nice to know that the starfish goes all the way through too. Thanks for another wonderful review!

• lucy says:

Karla, thanks for mentioning your best shade! That helps me decide which one to buy. Love the new Estee Lauder looks!

• Amy says:

Thanks Karla! I was looking all over last night for these swatches!

• Nadine says:

If you ever get the chance, I would appreciate it if you swatched EL’s Double Wear foundation line, especially so that we can see how the limited shades in the Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup for Face and Body SPF 15 compare to the original Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 that has more shade options. Thank you for all of the fantastic swatching that you do!

• Carrie says:

I’ve got the Sea Star Bronzing Blush and it really is gorgeous in the pan and on the cheeks. I especially like that they refer to it as a sea star and not a starfish. They aren’t fish and it bugs me a little when people refer to them that way.

• I’ve been wanting the Sea Star Bronzing Blush ever since I first saw the promo pics because I can’t wear traditional bronzers without looking orange or dirty. The Island Oasis palette looks really pretty too and the price isn’t bad.

• Andrea says:

Karla, your blog is amazing! I really like the great work that you do here, but please… turn off this of music that begin when we are navegating on your page… Its very annoying :(

Thanks!

• Nora Brown says:

Karla, how did you get such an even swatch of the bronzing powder Duo? I’ve swatched the halves in person and the MA even told me to brush them together when using. But you make it look so well-mixed! Also, bless you for swatching all of these bronzers next to one another. I’ve been eye-ing them for the longest time and can’t decide which one to get!

• Marie says:

The Island Oasis eyeshadow palette is way too similar to the Sand & Sea palette released two years ago!

• Hope says:

SO pretty. You are the best for swatching these. I agree that Estee Lauder does not get enough swatching.

• Linda says:

I really like the Tiramisu lipstick, can’t wait to go try that one on. Then I’ll probably be sucked into buying the Sea Star Bronzing Blush!!

• T says:

I hear Dior bronzers are great too but I cannot find any swatches of the anywhere. If you ever have the time…
    I got the Sea star blush, Medium duo bronzer + the eye shadow palette from this collection thanks to you :)
    I would still like to get the shimmer bronzer but I am an NW/ NC 10 so not sure if it´s too dark. The summer is coming and I am byuing bronzers like crazy.

• T says:

I forgot to mention that there is or has been a duo bronzer in amber rich as well.