Guerlain Rouge Automatique

Guerlain, Rouge Automatique, displayReaders, I am very excited to discuss with you Guerlain’s newest lipstick: Rouge Automatique.

Any conversation about Rouge Automatique has to start with the packaging. The tube is a “one-hand” open. Instead of a removable cap, the top of the tube has a trap door, which — at the push of a lever — swings open and slides the lipstick up. The design was inspired by a 1936 Art Deco piece from Guerlain’s archives.

The design seems smart and purse-safe (there’s no cap to lose). The packaging is also (thankfully) much lighter than it looks. I don’t know if you’ve ever carried around a Rouge G, but it’s a form of weight training.

At $35, Rouge Automatique falls between Kiss Kiss ($31) and Rouge G ($46). I’m trying to remind myself that it’s still a $35 lipstick, but I can’t help comparing it to Rouge G and thinking, “It’s only $35!”
Guerlain, Rouge Automatique, Les Beiges, swatches, 100 Apres L'Ondee, 101 Voilette de Madame, 102 Ne M'Oubliez Pas, 103 Chante D'Aromes, 104 Jicky, 105 Vol de Nuit, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
I’ve swatched the colors according to Guerlain’s shade groupings; let’s start with Les Beiges. Apres L’Ondee is mauve-rose. Voilette de Madame is muted peach-rose. Ne M’Oubliez Pas (“forget me not”) is warm nude; peach-brown. Chant D’Aromes is slightly shimmery, a brighter, peachier, peach-rose-natural. Jicky is a little deeper and a bit more brown (and rose). Vol de Nuit is red-brown.
Guerlain, Rouge Automatique, swatches, Les Oranges, Les Rouges, 140 Mitsouko, 141 Quand Vient L'Ete, 142 Fleur de Feu, 143 Nahema, 120 Coque D'Or, 121 Rouge D'Enfer, 122 Liu, 123 Habit Rouge, 124 Samsara, 125 Vega, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
I swatched Les Oranges and Les Rouges together. Mitsouko is a sheer, muted warm pink with gold sparkle. Quand Vient L’Ete is bright warm pink with gold sparkles. Fleur de Feu is coral with gold sparkles. Nahema is also a bright warm pink with gold sparkles, it’s lighter and brighter and more pink than Quand Vient L’Ete.

Coque D’Or is a warm, sheer, red strawberry/raspberry with gold sparkles. Rouge D’Enfer is a bold pink-red. Liu is a cooler, deeper, more red pink-red. Habit Rouge is a warm, tomato red (though the cooler shades on either side of it are distracting). Samsara is a beautiful berry red. Vega is a deeper, darker,  redder berry.
Guerlain, Rouge Automatique, swatches, Les Roses, 160 Bal de Mai, 161 Cherry Blossom, 162 Bloom of Rose, 163 Rose Bengale, 164 Chamade, 165 Champs Elysees, 166 Shalimar, 167 Guet-Apens, 168 L'Heure Bleue, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
And Les Roses! Bal de Mai is a deeper, muted (and slightly mauvey) rose. Cherry Blossom is ribbon pink with a slight shimmer. Bloom of Rose is brighter and more pink, with the same shimmer. Rose Bengale is more intense, more saturated than Bloom of Rose. Chamade is a bright, warmer, rose pink. Champs Elysees is bright and cool. Shalimar is cool medium pink with gold sparkle. Guet-Apens is violet plum. L’Heure Bleue is a red berry.

Rouge Automatique lipsticks smell like roses (though the scent doesn’t linger). They have a very enjoyable lightweight-jelly (or gel-creme) feel which is both moisturizing and comfortable to wear. I haven’t yet gotten to try on all the shades that piqued my interest, but I’m attracted to all of the Oranges (of course!), Violette de Madame, and Coque D’Or. And maybe also Chamade. Habit Rouge looks bold, but I still want to try it on.

Have you had the chance to try these yet? What do you think?

16 Responses to “Guerlain Rouge Automatique”

• Wow, they all look so beautiful and wearable. Rouge Gs are a little outside of my price point at the moment, but I could probably swing one of these. Plus, I’m loving the packaging. Thanks for the swatches!

• Jean says:

Ooh, Vega is calling my name, and I am totally not a red lipstick person!

Do you have a close-up pic of the packaging? I had to LOL at the weight training commment about the Rouge G’s! I feel your pain (literally!)

• Virginia says:

Thank you, thank you for swatching these lippies!! I saw them on Neiman Marcus but didn’t want to purchase any until I saw swatches.

• Anitacska says:

I want all the pink lipsticks! Plus a few of the others. Thanks for the swatches!

• Laura says:

Now I’m actually glad that I was unimpressed with the Chanel Rouge Coco Shines, since these shades look amazing, I want like 5 of them. I hope Sephora gets these eventually!

• Ruth says:

I want at least 6 of them, can’t wait to see IRL ! Thanks for the amazing swatches Karla !

• Adele says:

They look absolutely gorgeous, and I definitely want Apres L’Ondee, but I’m still trying to find them online somewhere…

• joolz says:

I have Cherry Blossom and Samsara. The red lipsticks are really pigmented, not sheer, rather bold. Mitsouko is very very light, like a shimmery light pink gloss – very pretty. I wore Cherry Blossom last Sunday and it stayed practically the whole day! It’s moisturizing though I did feel a little dry after um 4 hours! Now that I’ve seen your swatches, I’m going for more!

• Erin T says:

Beautiful swatches, thank you. Even though it’s irrational, I’m hopelessly drawn to the ones with the names of my favorite Guerlain fragrances: Apres L’Ondee (especially), Nahema, Chant D’Arome, Chamade, L’Heure Bleue, etc. If I am honest, though, the colors that would will probably work best for me are Vol de Nuit and Jicky.

• Meta says:

Awesome swatches! I wonder how much they’d be in Aussie dollars…can’t wait to see them here!

There are too many that I like the look of! I wonder if duty free outlets will have them also soon?

• Evelyn says:

I haven’t seen these but Les Roses are calling me very loudly. lol I am such a sucker for pink and cool red lip colors, I can’t get enough!

• xiao says:

it feels like nothing on lips! Super light. I didn’t know which ones to try (and was hesitant to try more than the ones i did because i’ll probably buy the whole set up.) I think it’s the best new lipstick that came out this spring

• Kittyskyfish says:

I started with Jicky, Cherry Blossom, and Apres l’Ondee. Wore them for a day and fell in love! The texture is indeed like a gel-creme. It feels light on my lips but it stays creamy and hydrating for several hours. Went back a day later for Coque d’Or…and now have Bloom of Rose coming in the mail. A few days ago I saw Automatiques display footprint in my local Sephora, so it should be available there pretty soon! The pigmentation is excellent in the vibrant shades – the color comes off very true and you don’t need a lot of layers to achieve a rich finish.

• Lee says:

Hello Karla,

I’m just wondering if the pigmentation level of Rouge Automatique is higher than those of Dior Addict lipsticks?

And thank you! I have been waiting for the swatches for a while! Although I must admit that I am not a big fan of the packaging (do you find them bulky? as in, taking up larger foot print than Rouge G?), I really wanna try the new formula…

• Vicky says:

I love love love these. I now have 2, Liu and Guet-Apens. Thanks to your swatches. :) I was looking for something to replace my MAC cult of cherry lipgloss and this is much much much better. I also really want Champs Elyssees but my counter is out of stock. I’m sure to go back for more. :)
    Now, I can have my red lips that lasts. ;)

• hey says:

Not to be mean but swatching lipsticks on arms isnt really helpful. Can u try putting it on ur lips?