Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge

Le Metier de Beaute, LMdB, Peau ViergeLe Metier de Beaute is a relatively young, relatively boutique cosmetics brand. They’ve only been selling their products for three years (though their research stretches back further than that), and they’re sold only through Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, and a few Nordstroms*.

If you’re not already a die-hard LMdB fan, you’ve most likely heard of at least one of two products: Their “Kaleidoscope” eyeshadow towers and/or Peau Vierge**.

Peau Vierge is a lightweight foundation. Or, if you prefer more coverage, it’s a tinted primer for use under another foundation. Or I believe you can even mix it in with your foundation — there are no firm rules.

Peau Vierge contains retinols (an anti-aging ingredient derived from vitamin A, which promotes the sloughing off of old skin cells and increases the rate of new cell production). But Peau Vierge also claims a unique delivery system (Syntoc Actif), which is said to deliver its active ingredient deeper than other products on the market. This “deep” delivery is supposed to help you avoid the side effects commonly associated with retinol use: redness, dryness, flaking, irritation.

Peau Vierge claims to improve collagen production, moisturize, fade brown spots, and smooth fine lines. Actually, it promises to do it in seven days. It’s oil-free, SPF 20, and contains anti-inflammatory and anti-redness ingredients — good for both oily and sensitive skin. My sales associate rather hilariously said, “if you don’t want to become utterly addicted, I recommend not trying it.”
Le Metier de Beaute, LMdB, swatches, Peau Vierge, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Until recently, Peau Vierge came in two shades: Light to Medium and Medium to Dark. They’ve introduced a third shade (#1) and switched over to a numerical system. (Light to Medium is now #2; Medium to Dark is now #3).

I did make heavy swatches, but I was a little surprised by how glowy shades 2 and 3 are. Shade 1 is my closest match — maybe a hair too dark, but, as with any sheer foundation, it can be blended out.

Peau Vierge foundation is $125 (and truly, one pump is plenty for your whole face). Le Metier national artist Ivan Castro said that he prefers to apply with fingers, so no product is wasted.

*If you’re in England, LMdB is sold in Selfridges. If you’re in France, they’re carried by Printemps. If you’re in Hong Kong, they’re sold in Joyce Boutiques.

**I feel I should mention that Peau Vierge (the foundation) spawned a whole series of Peau Vierge products. LMdB also offers Peau Vierge concealer and Peau Vierge lash growth serum. All PV products utilize the same Syntoc Actif delivery system.

10 Responses to “Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge”

• christine says:

wow thanks for the swatches! i’ve been wanting to try this for ages but i don’t have a counter in the country i live :( do you know if i can use this product if i use retin-a in the evenings?
    thanks a lot!

• ThesPNation says:

Nice! I should note that this is more of a treatment rather than a foundation. If you desire more coverage, this really isn’t going to do it, though it has a gorgeous finish. You can wear foundation over it and you can also put it on for approximately 20 minutes and wash it off as the product would have penetrated your skin by then. Also, if you use a Retin A prescription, it is not a good idea to use this with it. Great job Karla! ~sP

• Ava says:

The SA was right – I’ve used this product everyday since I tried it. My complexion is more even, and my skin glows even if I wear a foundation over it. I’ve never received so many complements.

• Christa says:

Thanks Karla! I have a sample of the new shade 1 to try and it does seem pretty dark in the pot. I’m uber pale though. It’s it amazing to see how glowy shade 2 & 3 are. Can’t wait to try it out! Looking forward to more pics LMdB pretties!

• Nazia @ Mascara Magic says:

Hey. Unfortunately Le Metier is no longer sold anywhere in the UK. They pulled out a couple of months back. Just thought I’d let you know.

• LauraJ says:

I ♥ LMdB, but how can retinol be beneficial when you are wearing it out in the daytime? I know it says it has an spf, too, but to get the advantage of that- you’d really have to layer it on. I really love this brand, but I’m calling BS on all of the claims :(

• Gail says:

I would really caution those with truly sensitive skin and/or rosacea about using products containing retinol.

• Kate says:

Echoing what LauraJ and Gail wrote, I am sensitive and had a terrible reaction to the retinol in this product (redness, dryness, flaking, peeling, oh joy). I’ve heard that they’ve made a clear version to be used at night now, which sounds like less-horrible idea.

• MaryEllen says:

I wanted to like this, but found what is now #2 incredibly shiny on my face, even when applied lightly–I mean disco ball shiny. For $125, I passed. I’m just glad I got a sample before buying.

FYI: You may be able to find samples on eBay–that’s where I got mine.

• Well I finally tried my sample of shade 1 and even though it was too dark it blends in so flawlessly that it was undetectable and looked great. I was really hoping not to love it LOL. But for $125 I will have to have more than a 2 day sample to decide for sure!