OPI Texas Collection

I think I got my expectations too high for OPI’s Texas collection. Having lived in Texas for most of my life, I expected to share (via nail polish) inside jokes with OPI’s executive vice president and artistic director Suzi Weiss-Fischmann.

But when I saw the collection in person, I couldn’t make the connection between the color palette and my home state. Am I being too literal? I’d love to hear your reaction to “OPI Texas.”

The collection is presented in two parts. Six shades are what OPI is calling a “sorbet” finish. They’re sheer, jelly polishes in bright, happy summer colors. Here are two-coat swatches:
OPI, Texas Collection, swatches, sorbets, sorbet finish, jellies, Houston We Have a Purple, Do You Think I'm Tex-y?, Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em, Guy Meets Gal-veston, Big Hair... Big Nails, Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Here are four-coat swatches:
I like these, even if they don’t make me think “Texas.” Not only are the colors bright and juicy and happy, but their sheerness provides a wealth of application possibilities. You could layer them over one another, or over regular polishes. You can use them for gradient manicures. You can apply them over white or nude to avoid Visible Nail Line. You could wear them over black or another dark shade for a vampy variation.

Houston We Have a Purple is violet-plum. Do You Think I’m Tex-y? is berry pink. Too Hot Pink to Hold ‘Em is hot raspberry. Guy Meets Gal-veston is hot strawberry (more coral and pink than red). Big Hair… Big Nails is red-orange coral. Y’all Come Back Ya Hear? is bright orange. Of course, the final line of the Beverly Hillbillies theme song is: “Y’all come back now, ya hear?”
OPI, Texas Collection, swatches, Suzi Loves Cowboys, Don't Mess with OPI, It's Totally Fort Worth It, San Tan-tonio, Austin-tatious Turquoise, I Want to Be a Lone Star, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
I found the non-sorbet half of the Texas collection harder to love. The colors seem… off season.

Suzi Loves Cowboys is dark, cool brown creme. Football fans, I SO wanted this color to be Dallas Cowboys blue.

Don’t Mess with OPI is a blued green creme. One of my favorite things to do when I’m visiting other states is ask people what they think “Don’t Mess with Texas,” means. The answers are hilarious, and often along the lines of “if you find someone in bed with your wife, you’re allowed to shoot him.”

Don’t Mess with Texas is a 25-year-old anti-littering campaign by the Department of Transportation. It calls upon Texans’ state pride to persuade them not to throw trash out of car windows.

It’s Totally Fort Worth It is a dishwater grey-purple silver with tiny pink sparkles. I’d worry about brush strokes with this one.

San Tan-tonio is a greyed tan.

Austin-tatious Turquoise makes the most sense to me. It’s a sheer teal turquoise with tons of micro glitter. The polish itself is somewhat sheer, which means the sparkle takes on this multi-chromatic depth as you layer it. Austin is the funky-cool, college-vibe, hippy-ish, free-chips-and-salsa-with-everything, live-music-capital, vintage-clothing, used-record-store center of Texas, and this color could be the paint on an old Camaro, or the glitter-vinyl booth seat of Elvis-obsessed Chuy’s restaurant.

I Want to Be a Lone Star is a white-blue/pale blue satin finish.

OPI polishes are $8.50 each; you can find the Texas collection at your local Ulta.

16 Responses to “OPI Texas Collection”

• Catie Did says:

I was so excited to get the “Texas” collection into my salon. Being a Southern girl (not a Texan, but I still miss home) I had high hopes for OPI to wow me.
    Wow, I was so underwhelmed.
    The sorbet finish looks anything BUT finished and the colors themselves? I couldn’t agree with you more, they are so off season.
    All of this mixed with OPI’s less-than-stellar formula may be the kiss of death for my doing business with them.

• I’m disappointed too Karla. The only one I purchased is Do You Think I’m Texasy and it’s nothing special although I do like the sorbet finish. It doesn’t say Texas to me.

• Katherine says:

I like the colors, but I agree – there’s nothing Texas about them. You’d think they would at least include a bluebonnet blue.

• Kittyskyfish says:

I am really disappointed that they didn’t do a Cowboys blue. Or a Spindletop-Coat.

• sara says:

I grew up in Texas, but now live in Central Ohio. We used to have Lonestar “steakhouses” (I use that term loosely) and Don’t Mess With Texas was plastered everywhere. I agree, no one has a clue it’s about litter.

I also agree with Katherine, where is my Bluebonnet Blurple? We were jipped!

• Amy says:

I agree that this is a disappointing collection and that the non-sorbet shades don’t say “Summer” to me. I’m from Illinois, but even I expected a blue bonnet and Cowboys tie-in!

I was amused by the real story behind “Don’t Mess With Texas”! I always assumed it had ties to the old West days of cowboys, Indians and outlaws! : )

• I grew up in Austin and live in south Texas now, so of course I am a die-hard Texan. And I’m with you about these colors. It deems like they already had the colors picked out before they picked the theme. Where is the Longhorn burnt orange (Hook ‘em Horns!) or forest green for the trees in east Texas or blue for our beautiful wide open skies? Boo on OPI for so many failed opportunities to evoke Texas! That being said, I do like the jellies. Um, I mean the “sorbets”.

• Kelly C. says:

Geez, this is such a hodge-podge of a collection. Like the leavings of two different half-created collections that they slapped ‘Texas’ on in hopes of making some sales. I’d like to say something nice about the theme, but really, I can’t. What a shame. The colors could have been much better utilized.

• Nellie says:

Another Texas girl here agreeing on the non-Texas feel of this collection.

I had a hard time finding the polishes I did want; collection sold out quickly everywhere I looked in Arlington. I’m happy with the three I bought (two jellies and the Austin color) but they just don’t say “Texas.” The colors were just so random!

• sonidlo says:

Thank you for swatches!

• Tiffany says:

Completely agree, especially with the non-sorbet shades. I expected to see a Cowboys blue and an orange that was more burnt. Oh well. Thanks for the swatches, and thanks for the “Don’t Mess with Texas” explanation too! I had no idea.

• Colleen says:

No yellow rose of Texas for summer? They seemed to have missed the boat on this one.

• Sarah says:

I’m not from Texas, so I didn’t have specific expectations but there are some colors in this collection that I love and find myself reaching for often! I’m crazy about Houston we have a purple, Big hair-big nails and Y’all come back now, y’hear? These “sorbets” look great on my shorter (but not short) nails. They are sheer but build well and keep that fresh “wet” look a long time. I am also totally in love with I vant to be a lone star. It looks great on the nail. Just great. Bright and light blue and totally shimmery and gorgeous. The other colors? I’m not sure yet. But these 4 are keepers for me.

Oh – and I totally agree with y’all. Where is my yellow rose of Texas????

• Anne says:

I agree that OPI made no attempt to come up with Texas-like colors. But that seems to be typical of them lately–have you seen the Pirates of the Caribbean collection? It’s all pastels! They seem to think that they can slap any old name onto any polish. In the past, they seemed to make more of an effort to come up with colors that matched their themes–think of the Spanish and Russian collections.

Oh, and the Beverly Hillbillies were from Arkansas. ;P

Anne – I didn’t remember that detail! I only remembered from the song, “Oil that is. Black gold. Texas tea.”

And I loved the Spanish collection…