MAC Me Over: Icelandic Cool

MAC Me Over, Icelandic CoolYesterday we took a first look at the big fan-focused fall collection, MAC Me Over. MAC Me Over is nominally divided into three sections: “basics,” and then two smaller trend-based sub-collections… but it’s not necessary to remember any of this, because when the collection launches on August 25th, you’ll just see three displayers on the counter next to each other.

Incidentally, if you live in Dallas, the Pro store in Northpark is having their own MAC-[You]-Over event, August 25, 26, and 27th from 11 am to 6:30 pm. You have to make a $50 minimum purchase, but this seems like a collection you could easily spend $50 on — so why not get your makeup done at the same time? Call 214-360-0990 to make your appointment.

The Lady Grey eyeshadow quad ($38) was lovely. All Races is (of course), a repromote from All Ages, All Races, All Sexes, a pale, matte, whisper-of-purple dusty lilac. Last time I swatched it, I called it “ash purple.”  I still kind of like that description. Tendersmoke was just slightly chalky, a satin freesia/lavender. I know this shade is repromoted, but I can’t remember from where. Lady Grey is new, a satin warm grey (almost a green-grey). Hazy Day is a very pretty, shimmery, complex grey-silver.
MAC Me Over, Icelandic Cool, swatches, Lady Grey quad, All Races, Tendersmoke, Lady Grey, Hazy Day, shadesticks, Butternutty, Cakeshop, Tundra, Street Cool, Heirloom, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
XeeMAC Me Over also includes a few Shadesticks (twist-up eyeshadow crayons, $17.50). Butternutty and Cakeshop are repromotes from Sugarsweet; Tundra, Street Cool, and Heirloom are new. You can wear Shadesticks as eyeshadow base, or you can wear them on their own. As with any mechanical pencil, the entire stick of product is exposed to a very small amount of air, so Shadesticks can get harder over time. Be sure to close these completely each time you use them, and if yours does get a little hard, you can warm it up in your pocket (or between your hands) before you apply.

Butternutty is a shimmery peony pink. I had forgotten how much I love Cakeshop. It’s silver-green (my favorite color). Tundra is pale, ice blue-grey. Street Cool is iced violet/blackened violet. Heirloom is mauvey-silver-pink.
MAC Me Over, Icelandic Cool, swatches, The Wee Coquette, Good Times, Spite, Quiet Time, Fatigues, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
SharonThe Wee Coquette lipglass was one of the minis in last year’s Tartan Tale lipgloss sets. It’s white-pink with tiny sparkles. Good Times is new, a whitened blue-pink (like old/greyed strawberry milk). Spite is a permanent shade, a dusty, rosy purple (or blue-mauve). Lipglasses are $14.50 each.

The two nail polishes are each $15. Quiet Time is a soft, warm-grey creme, a cousin to Light Affair, I think. Fatigues is a muted, blued army green creme.

And finally, MAC Me Over repromotes both the (now permanent) 214 short shader brush ($24.50) and the limited edition 226 small tapered blending brush ($24.50).

Check back tomorrow for the third and final installment of MAC Me Over! (I saved the new Fluidlines for last.)

9 Responses to “MAC Me Over: Icelandic Cool”

• Beebee says:

Why does the SPITE LIPGLASS Look different from the original permanant shade? The permanant shade is alot more brown whilst this one looks alot more purple. If you look back to your earlier recap of Mac lipglasses you swatched in April 2010 – the swatches look very different.

I wondered that, too, Beebee. I wondered if my “permanent” swatch was from an old tester (oxidization?) — or maybe one that had been sullied by putting the wrong wand/cap on the tube. I wondered if proximity to other shades made my last swatch of Spite look different… but I’ve never owned the color, so I can’t say for sure. Can anyone else weigh in?

• Edelmc says:

What did you think of the quality of the quad and shadesticks? Did you have to layer up the shadows to get coverage and were the shadesticks smooth to apply or did they drag?

I thought this quad was great (I was not so enthusiastic about Evil Eye). I always layer my swatches, but pigmentation and texture seemed good; Tendersmoke was just a bit chalky. And I had no trouble with the shadesticks.

Though my current theory is that you should never have trouble with a new shadestick.

• Molly says:

Totally want that quad and spite… now I kinda see why MAC puts perm. items in their launches.. I never would known about Spite.. and it probably isn’t something I would’ve looked twice at in the store.

Thanks!

• Dovey says:

In love with the quad— I love cool grey toned colors. Quiet time is a surprise favorite color too. Any thoughts on MAC nail formulas? I’ve never tried them

• Rita says:

Tendersmoke came out this year in the Packed to go: 6 Cool Smokey Eye Shadows Palette. I don’t know if it has come out before.

• Janette says:

Is there a difference in shape btw this release of the 226 to the ones released in the BBR collection and Color crafts, I finally got my hands on one andi dont have an old brush to compare but it seems like this collections version is more dome shape then tapered.

P.S. Im from Richardson TX living in San Diego and I totally miss my MAC Pro at North PArk :( lol

I’ve heard a few complaints that the “new” 226 isn’t as sharply tapered as previous versions. But I’ve also heard that there’s variation between brushes within this release… so if you’re buying in the store, maybe ask to see a few so you can find one in the shape you want?