Clinique Lid Smoothie Antioxidant 8-Hour Eye Color

Clinique, Lid SmoothieDo you remember that old TV commercial where son calls father collect, and gives his name as “Bob WeHadABabyIt’sABoy” to avoid actually having to pay for the call? That’s kind of how I feel about Clinique’s new Lid Smoothie Antioxidant 8-Hour Eye Colors: they had to get everything in the name in case you weren’t willing to read any further. Let’s just call them “Lid Smoothies.”

Clinique’s cream eyeshadows have been through several incarnations. You may remember the Touch Tints (squeeze tube with a narrow tip), and the doe’s-foot-applicator Quick Eyes Cream Shadows (which I swatched here). The Lid Smoothies have a cooling, stainless steel, slanted tip applicator (though you may want to apply these to your lids using your fingertips, a synthetic brush, or even a fluffy brush to make sure you don’t put on too much, and to ensure even application).

You can use the Lid Smoothies alone (as cream shadow), or as a base for powder shadows. You can also blend and mix the cream shades. All 12 of these shades are gently shimmery, and a little goes a long way. As you might have surmised from the name, these are supposed to be crease-proof, with 8-hour wear. (If you’ve tried these on your lids, I want to hear what you think!)

Here are the blended swatches (applied with my fingers):
Clinique, Lid Smoothie, cream eyeshadow, swatches, 01 Bit O' Honey, 02 Cashew Later, 03 Sassy-fras, 04 Gingerly, 06 Cute-cumber, 07 Pinkgo Biloba, 08 Seventh Heather, 09 Born Freesia, 10 Imprompt-blue, 11 Currant Affair, 12 Lick-orice, 13 Salt and Pepper, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
01 Bit O’ Honey is a shimmery moonlight-beige. 02 Cashew Later is a bit pinker. 03 Sassy-fras is a root beer, warm rosy-purple brown. 04 Gingerly is golden peach. There is no number 5. 06 Cute-cumber is a muted, silvered, mossy green. 07 Pinkgo Biloba is cotton candy pink. It bothers me slightly that Seventh Heaven is shade 08. It’s a rosy shell brown. 09 Born Freesia is a silvery pale smoke blue-purple. 10 Imprompt-blue is a worn, silvery purpled blue grey. 11 Currant Affair is a muted red-purple brown. 12 Lick-orice is a shimmery silver grey-black. 13 Salt and Pepper is a warm, light silver taupe.

To give you a better idea of the colors, I swatched them again (painting a more opaque stripe with a disposable lipgloss brush).
Lid Smoothies are $19.50 each.

11 Responses to “Clinique Lid Smoothie Antioxidant 8-Hour Eye Color”

• Luka says:

I’ve never purchased Clinique makeup before but these look lovely, particularly Salt & Pepper.

• Kate says:

I have Cashew Later and love the way it looks, but it lasts 5 – 6 hours on me at best. That’s not very convenient when I tend to put my makeup on at 7 am or earlier :( Even putting primer under didn’t help much.

• Donna says:

I have the Licorice and the Cute-cumber shadows. I use them as a base under the MAC Semi-precious eye shadows. Using the Clinique cream shadow under the MAC mineral shadow keeps both on for at least 12 hours. I haven’t tried the Clinique cream shadow alone. The color is more opaque than the MAC Big Bounce shadows, and less sparkle/shimmer. They are a bit messy to apply because I put a small, very small amount on my hand then apply with a brush. I think the amount you need is so small that it would be impossible to get it right if you applied straight out of the tube, but I could be wrong on this.

• Josie says:

LOL i use to love that commercial! I thought it only aired in Canada! I’m obsessed with cream shadows and i like the look of some of these!

• Chris says:

Haha, I remember that commercial! So funny!

Currant Affair looks like my kind of shade.

• Karen says:

I have this in Seventh Heather. On it’s own it definitely doesn’t last anywhere close to 8 hrs on me, a lot of creasing too. But together with my Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer I have no creasing and all-day wear plus better color intensity. I will try this in other colors. I agree with others posted above, definitely only need a little and it’s better applied with finger or brush, not straight from the tube.

• katie says:

thank you so much for posting this! the 2nd pic of the swatches was very very helpful :-D

• Tobey says:

Ditto to what Katie posted – these photos were super helpful, thank you!