Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet

Chanel, Rouge Allure VelvetMatte lips are so hot right now.

Chanel just introduced a (highly anticipated) new lipstick formula: Rouge Allure Velvet, a creamy-matte in the click-click case. Available in eight shades, Rouge Allure Velvets are $32 each.

La Ravissante (the beautiful) is a coral pink — my favorite, of course. La Câline (the cuddler) is a muted, mauvey blue-rose pink. La Raffinée (the sophisticated) is a brighter blue-rose pink. L’Exubérante (the exuberant/bubbly) is a bright, saturated, cool blue-pink. La Fascinante (the fascinating) is a bright, very cool red. La Somptueuse (the glamorous) is a deeper, more subdued, warmer red. La Sensuelle (the sensual) is a deep cool (violet) rose. L’Exquise (the exquisite) is rose-brown.

Translations provided by my favorite French-speaking sales associate.
Chanel, Rouge Allure Velvet, swatches, La Ravissante, La Caline, La Raffinee, L'Exuberante, La Fascinante, La Somptueuse, La Sensuelle, L'Exquise, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Chanel also included three nail polishes in this launch — plus a limited edition “velvet matte” topcoat. I swatched each color twice, first in its “natural” state, then with the matte topcoat.

Rose Cache is a grey-pink with very tiny, subtle pink shimmers (these are totally lost under the mattifying topcoat). Rose Exuberant is a bright, electric-watermelon, hibiscus pink. Pirate is bright cherry red.
Chanel, Rouge Allure Velvet, swatches, Rose Cache, Rose Exuberant, Pirate, nail polish, Velvet Top Coat, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
The mattifying topcoat is interesting. It has an easy-to-apply gel texture, and dries to an almost rubberized finish. Each of the polishes (including the topcoat) is $25.

I am absolutely convinced that trends and technologies in nail polish and car paint are linked — and apparently matte finishes for cars are also enjoying something of a Renaissance (at least in the European luxury market). Check out this article from the Wall Street Journal, and see if that photo doesn’t make you want to take Chanel’s topcoat out for a spin.

9 Responses to “Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet”

• RM says:

La Ravissante, L’Exuberante, and La Somptueuse look really lovely! L’Exuberante is probably too cool for me to pull off though (as are lots of these shades, darn!).

Chanel lipsticks are always spot on, IMO, so I’ll be looking for these!

• Nataly says:

Gorgeous colors! I think I need some of them :) )

• Chiara says:

I bought Chanel lipstick “la fascinante” and nail polish “pirate” and they are very pretty toghether <3

• Jennifer says:

Hi there! I’ve just discovered your blog and I have to say that you have the most beautiful swatch I have ever seen!!! I am now a loyal reader! xoxo.

• Paige says:

I have to say that I am disappointed with the color selections released to the U.S. market. Too many reds and bright pinks. I prefer to wear muted pinks and nudes. I did see swatches of some nude Rouge Allure Matte shades like 31 La Furtive or 33 La Distinguée on non-U.S. bloggers’ sites. So why, oh why these shades are not available to us? :(

• beth maioana says:

Karla, I think your Car Paint theory is sound and probably so very true (just think of it !!). Love these swatches although I must say that after my particularly anticipating this launch for some time now, I not so impressed. I wonder if I’ll regret not jumping on them… thank you for this. xo Beth in Pgh ;-)

• Nina says:

As usual for Chanel lippies for me lately (the entire Rouge Coco range, did love Coco Shines though), all of the Allure Velvets turned orangey on me. Sigh…I can’t believe how blue pink they all are for you Karla! @Paige – try the colors at a counter, they may not be so vivid on you in real life.

• Marina says: