Guest Contributor: Laura Mercier Spring Look

Lately I’ve been struck by one fantastic promo photo after another, and I’ve been asking you geniuses to recreate the looks. Your beauty skills never cease to amaze me. Today I’m very proud to present the lovely Xiao of Messy Wands, as she shows us her fantastic recreation of Laura Mercier’s spring look.

Earlier today this post was mislabeled. An email miscommunication led to my erroneous assumption that Xiao was creatively reinterpreting the Make Up For Ever winter look. Deepest apologies for the confusion.
Messy Wands
Here’s her breakdown:

skin
I began by evening out my complexion with Cle de Peau concealer in Ochre, then used a generous helping of Burberry Sheer Glow on the entire face, concentrating on my cheeks, bridge of the nose, center of forehead, and chin. I used a little bit of Chanel Vitalumiere Hydra (new formula, not sure when it’ll be out in the U.S.) to go over the face.

cheeks
I swept Burberry Light Glow in Earthy under my cheekbones, below the jawline, and along the side of my face. Then I used Guerlain Meteorites Cruel Gardenia to highlight my cheeks once more before patting on Le Metier de Beaute Creme Fresh Tint in Tenne and topped it off with a pink-coral blush. I spent a lot of time (and product) on the skin because I wanted to recreate the luminosity on the model’s face.

eyes
I used Le Metier de Beaute Jojo as an all over lid base, then heavily dabbed Le Metier de Beaute Sugar at the inner corners of my eyes. To emulate the plummy brown hue, I used Chanel Magic Night and blended it into the two colors. I followed Karla’s advice and used Q-tips to clean up the sides. I also used Q-tips to smudge the edges to achieve a more natural effect.

lips
I dabbed on Guerlain Rouge Automatique #103, followed by Le Metier de Beaute Peche Creme, and finished off with a tiny dab of Le Metier de Beaute Purple Haze.

Messy Wands
Messy Wands

11 Responses to “Guest Contributor: Laura Mercier Spring Look”

• Kylie says:

That looks nothing like the photo.

It is an interpretation. Xiao chose the aspects she wanted to recreate (like the dewiness of the model’s skin).

• Jamilla says:

An absolutely stunning look!

• Eileen says:

This is a lovely interpretation, Xiao, of a transitional look. You selected a nice palette of colors to emphasize glowing skin. Very pretty!

• Susan says:

Xiao looks beautiful! But I think she looks like the Laura Mercier promo pic, no?

• Beautiful look on a beautiful lady!

• Victoria says:

WOW she is sooo beautiful! As someone who also has mismatching eyelids (one creased one not) I love how she balanced out the two eyes. However I do agree there isn’t really anything in common with the original look, which is much much warmer/bronzier/coral.

Kylie, Susan, Victoria — you were all correct. Xiao was indeed recreating Laura Mercier’s spring look; I misunderstood.

• xiao says:

Ahhhh! I’m sorry guys I sent the email to Karla with the title “MUFE Winter Look” and totally mixed her up. I was indeed emulating Laura Mercier Spring.

Thanks for the kind words :)

• I love it. It’s exactly the kind of look I would wear on a daily basis, and xiao looks beautiful as always.

• Alissa says:

Wow. stunning! Even more so cause the promo photos have been retouched, I’m sure–and Xiao’s look is flawless without any ‘assistance’ ;)