Video: L’Oreal Colour Riche in Volcanic

L'Oreal, Colour Riche, 410 Volcanic, Bobbi Brown, Atomic Orange, swatches, KarlaSugar, Karla SugarI recently saw a TV commercial for L’Oreal’s Colour Riche lipsticks, including a bright orange shade (which they said was #410 Volcanic). I bought Volcanic, and though it’s a beautiful color, it’s not the orange depicted in the ad — I swatched it next to Bobbi Brown’s limited edition Atomic Orange for comparison.

I’d describe Volcanic as a tomato-coral. I love the color, and I’m very impressed with the formula. It’s smells like a Guerlain lipstick (candied violets?), goes on very comfortably, and wears for hours.

L’Oreal Colour Riche lipsticks can be found at Target for $5.99, or at CVS for $9.79 (which occasional limited-time offers, like a reduced price of $5.99, or a buy-one-get-one-half-off offer).
L'Oreal, Colour Riche, 410 Volcanic, ad

16 Responses to “Video: L’Oreal Colour Riche in Volcanic”

• Kat says:

So what shade do you think Doutzen is wearing in the L’oreal ad? I almost bought Volcanic, saw swatches, and opted for MUFE lippie #40. Much oranger.

I suspect that’s a Photoshopping job… I don’t think any of the L’Oreal Colour Riche lipsticks is that color. I even asked L’Oreal, and they confirmed “410 Volcanic.”

If you want ORANGE, you’re better off with Make Up For Ever #40 (http://karlasugar.net/2010/08/make-up-for-ever-rouge-artist-intense-lipstick-part-4/), Bobbi Brown Atomic Orange (http://karlasugar.net/2012/01/bobbi-brown-neons-nudes/), or Urban Decay Punch Drunk (http://karlasugar.net/2011/08/urban-decay-super-saturated-high-gloss-lip-color/).

• KateM says:

I love when you do videos Karla! So nice to see your face sometimes.

• Charlotte says:

This looks lovely on you! Now I want it! :)

• Valerie says:

I don’t have sound on my computer at work, but I like to watch your pretty face talk anyway, and that lip color is so pretty!

How would you say this compares to MAC Hibiscus?

And slightly related – have you met Smashbox lip colors Melondrama and Mandarin? I’ve seen a couple swatches online, but need to track them down in person…

• Caroline F. says:

That color is the #2 worst lipstick that contains lead according to FDA latest study. Google it

• Hi Karla…I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog, you have the BEST swatches around. I just wanted to let you know that Volcanic was on the FDA’s list for having the second highest amount of lead in the Expanded Study in this link below. I hope they fix it, the color is GORGEOUS!! Didn’t want to be a downer, just spreading awareness!!

Thanks, Caroline and Angelic Mariposa for bringing up the recent FDA findings. It’s a hot topic right now — even my mom called me about it.

But before we throw out our lipsticks, I’d like to try to put this into perspective:

The EPA’s recommended maximum lead level for water is 15 parts per billion. L’Oreal Volcanic is 7 parts per million, or 7000 parts per billion.

Assuming you follow the recommended guideline of drinking 8 cups of water a day (64 oz.), you’re consuming (64 oz. x 15 parts per billion) 960 “units” of lead.

A tube of Volcanic is 0.13 oz. So if you straight up eat the whole tube in one sitting, you’re consuming (0.13 oz x 7000 parts per billion) 910 “units” of lead. Almost the same as your daily recommended water consumption, and that’s if you eat a tube a day. (I’m sure it’s restating the obvious to say that most people just don’t ingest that much lipstick.)

To look at it from another angle, the FDA guidelines for lead in candy bars (intended for ingestion) is 0.1 parts per million. So eating a Snickers a day (2 oz. x 100 parts per billion) 200 “units” of lead… about a fifth of a tube of lipstick.

I’m not minimizing the fact that you can find lead in lipstick, but lead is in a lot of things we eat, drink, and use.

All in all, I feel the level of risk posed by this lipstick is reasonably low.

Valerie, you have such a good eye for color. Hibiscus (from Surf Baby: http://karlasugar.net/2011/05/mac-surf-baby/) is very similar. It’s a bit more pink (and Volcanic more red).

Smashbox Melondrama and Mandarin are both on my lipsticks-of-interest list. I’ve tried on Mandarin and the color is sensational. It’s a bold, warm rose-red. I’ll get back to you on Melondrama.

• Emery says:

And, for your RDA of ridiculosity: I just ran out and purchased a few tubes of Volcanic,just in case, due to some stupid knee-jerk reaction, it gets taken off the shelves. It’s one of my favorites, and I might need it.

• Lauren says:

i love this color! unfortunatly im not going to get it because of the fda test results for lead in lipstick. This color was on 2nd highest content of lead in lipstick out of 400 lipsticks [also with lead in them] . i saw this list and i remembered you post. here is where i found it =

• LRW says:

Karla..I just bought Volcanic..oh,my..love..I also bought Tropical Coral,hoping it would be similar to Smashbox Melondrama..I think Volcanic is very close to Mandarin though,on me anyway..I have a lot of pink in my lips,so most coral/orange shades turn pinkish /red..I did notice the Smashbox lipsticks(Be Legendary line) were considerably dryer compared to the L’Oreal..maybe it was the testers? I do have one lipstick from their Photo Finish line and I love it. anyway, I’m very pleased with Volcanic and Tropical Coral.Thanks for the great video and review!

• Citrine says:

If you like L’Oreal formula(and the color orange), you might like the one of the new shades for their infallible line, Coral Seduction (which just looks like a bright golden orange to me)…I have been told the formula wears well although I haven’t tried it myself.

• Annette says:

The color in that ad looks like a lipstick that is only sold And Europe. It’s the L’Oreal Color Riche in 406, neonic orange.
    It was from the L’Or collection from last summer.
    I hate that loreal releases colors over there and won’t make them available to people in the USA. I wish they would just make the same stuff everywhere or at least have an online store where we can purchase them!

• Lesley says:

Response to Kat: yes it is supposed to be volcano apparently. Don’t forget studio lighting and flash can make colours look different. This is why its better to test as you did and go for another option if you think that is a better match

• Lesley says:

In reply to Annette, the advert infers its volcano, but you are probably right. This has happened to me before with Max Factor where it states the colour and its not the right one. You could try ebay for the colour. Its frustrating when you are in the UK and you cant buy Physicians Formula apart from ebay!