Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation

Readers, I have never been so excited about a foundation. (And I never get excited about foundation.)

When I began swatching Burberry, I was determined to remain objective. But the more I swatch/test/try, the more deeply I fall in love with this brand.

Before we talk about their liquid foundation, let’s talk about their Fresh Glow Primer (Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base). In the bottle (or in a heavy swatch) it’s a pearlescent light pink. In a light swatch, it sheers out to more of a white/pale white-pink shimmer. In normal, on-face application, it’s an invisible glow. If you’re getting your makeup done at the counter, they’ll probably put this on you, then ask you to look in the mirror. You already look better! But the most striking thing about the Fresh Glow primer is that it feels so good. It feels like skincare, like a wonderful, lightweight moisturizer. I just wanted to slather it on. Fresh Glow is $48, available at Nordstromicon.
Burberry, Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation, swatches, Trench 1, Trench 2, Trench 3, Trench 4, Trench 5, Trench 6, Trench 7, Trench 8, Trench 9, Trench 10, Trench 11, Trench 12, Trench 13, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Now, you don’t have to buy the primer. It’s lovely, but the foundation still works without it.

Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation is my dream foundation. It has no texture; it looks like skin. (And it feels like wearing nothing.) This is you, perfected. No redness, no unevenness. It’s just invisible coverage. I originally reported that Trench 2 was my shade — it looked fine in the store. But when I took a sample home and put it on in my own mirror, Trench 2 was just slightly too dark and a little too pink. I tried Trench 1 and I just love it.

It has a pronounced rose scent, which I definitely noticed the first time I used it. In subsequent applications, I was aware of it, but I was so entranced by the foundation’s performance that I noticed the fragrance less.

Now, Burberry is coming out with a full coverage foundation in August (so folks must have asked for more coverage), but I am completely satisfied with the Sheer Luminous Fluid. The first time I wore it, I nearly skipped undereye concealer (unheard of for me). And it’s doing a great job of covering the small scratch I accidentally inflicted on my chin a few days ago. I do prefer sheerer foundations. This one does not erase the freckles on my cheeks (nor would I want it to).

Sheer Luminous Fluid is $52 (also available at Nordstrom)icon.
Burberry, Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation, swatches, Trench 1, Trench 2, Trench 3, Trench 4, Fresh Glow Primer, Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Burberry, Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation, swatches, Trench 5, Trench 6, Trench 7, Trench 8, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Burberry, Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation, swatches, Trench 9, Trench 10, Trench 11, Trench 12, Trench 13, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Per reader request, here are the Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation ingredients, photographed off a box of Trench 2 (click to enlarge):
Burberry, Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation, ingredients

13 Responses to “Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation”

• Blyss says:

Karla – you are the first person to show the clear differences between 4,5, and 6. After months of staring at other swatches, I bought sight unseen and in the wrong shade. With your swatches, I definitely know the right shade for me and I’m excited to hear of their foundation that is coming out.

Once again, thank you for doing such an awesome job on the swatches.

• Mary says:

Thanks for these! Love their other foundation and am excited to try this. Can you tell me if there are any PEG, PPG, or parabens in the ingredient list? I try to avoid or use sparingly. Thanks again!

• Gail says:

Any chance you have the ingredient list or a pic of it from the box? Thanks alot!!

• Gail says:

Found the ingredients here on cafemakeup. Unfortunately chock full of things my sensitive skin can’t tolertae :(

Gail, excellent post by Amy of Cafe Makeup. That woman has impeccable taste in makeup (and everything else, probably).

Mary and Gail, I happened to be in Nordstrom when I saw your comments, so I photographed the ingredients list of a box of Trench 2.

• Gail says:

Thanks Karla!

• Sasha says:

Thank you so much for the swatches! I am NW20. Do you think 2 will be a good match for me? Thank you!

• 2sheds says:

As a word of (potential) warning, make sure to wear this foundation for at least 15-30 minutes before you decide on a shade. Trench 5 goes on looking pretty light on me, but in about 10 minutes it oxidizes to an almost-perfect match (it’s still a tiny bit light, but not impossibly so). Trench 6 for some reason is lighter than 5 (and doesn’t darken nearly as much for me either), and 7 is *way* darker than both! I’m an NC 25-35, BTW, depending on formulation.

I love this stuff too — it can just be a bit challenging finding a match!

• Seven says:

Fresh Glow Primer is calling my name. Thank You Karla!

• Kayla says:

Hey Karla, Would you say that # 12 has a golden undertone. I was looking for a match for Mac nc50. Thanks in advance.

• Aisha says:

JEEZ I can not THANK you enough for this post! Its nearly impossible…no, it IS impossible to tell the difference between any of the darker shades on nordstroms website. In fact, pretty much most of Burberry’s line is impossible to tell the difference between anything…lipsticks, eyeshadows…Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!

• amy says:

hey… i’m interested in this foundation, but trench 1 looks like it may be slighly pink. i have very fair, but super golden olive skin. sigh. what do you think?