Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation

Chantecaille has four foundations, in varying levels of coverage: Just Skin (tinted moisturizer in an airtight tube, though I think the coverage might actually be fuller than Real Skin), Real Skin (very sheer cream foundation in a compact, available in SPF 15 and SPF 30), Future Skin (medium-to-full coverage gel foundation in a screw-top pot), and New Stick (full coverage foundation OR concealer in stick form). I swatched Just Skin and Real Skin some time ago, and I’m both happy and sad to say that my technique has improved since then… I should probably reswatch them.

The “new news” with Future Skin is that a new shade was just added to the line: Porcelain. Ignoring Porcelain for a moment, the other shades are arranged in their display unit according to undertone (pink, neutral, yellow), and then light to dark. So Ivory is pink, Alabaster is neutral, and Chamomile is yellow — and so on down my arm. Porcelain is neutral. What’s up with Suntan? I really don’t know.

The shades also clearly don’t get very dark. That sort of bothers me.

Future Skin is oil-free and good-for-all-skintypes, though it is the foundation that Chantecaille sales associates recommend to oily-skinned folks. Apparently it contains seaweed, which (they say) helps control oil-production in your skin. I’m still planning to go try this one on, but the ladies at the counter tell me that I’d wear Porcelain. (Note: it’s the end of the summer; my arms are darker than my face right now.)

[Additional note: I did go get matched; the sales ladies were right about Porcelain. Alabaster added a bit too much color, though as with other Chantecaille foundations, Future Skin is very blendable.]
Chantecaille, Future Skin, foundation, swatches, Porcelain, Ivory, Alabaster, Chamomile, Nude, Vanilla, Cream, Hazel, Shea, Sand, Suntan, Wheat, BananaIn the few years that I’ve known the brand, Chantecaille hasn’t done a great job of managing its PR. People who don’t already love them usually have the impression that they’re very expensive. I’m pretty sure that’s because the items that appear in magazines are the $300 face creams, the $100 limited edition “charity” palettes (in promotional shots that don’t convey actual size). I used to maintain my own grassroots campaign — telling everyone who would listen that their blushes and lipsticks were $26 (they’re now $28), putting them in a class with Chanel, not Cle de Peau. However, I can’t argue that at $68, Future Skin is steep.

The pink shades: Ivory, Nude, Hazel, Suntan
The neutral shades: Porcelain, Alabaster, Vanilla, Shea, Wheat
The yellow shades: Chamomile, Cream, Sand, Banana

12 Responses to “Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation”

• Kristina says:

>I have to disagree on two things here… I'd call Future Skin sheer to medium coverage, rather than medium to full, and Karla, there's no way you'd be Porcelain – Porcelain is too light even for me. I have to mix it with Alabaster. O.o and from what I understand in your other posts, you're definitely at least a little bit darker-skinned than I am.

Otherwise, thanks for this!! :)

>I don't necessarily disagree — I'm reporting coverage level straight from the folks who work at the counters (without personal experience to relate).

I am also cautiously skeptical about their shade prediction for me; I'll update if I go try it on and learn something new.

• tussah says:

>I agree that it is more of a sheer to medium coverage…but is "buildable" to medium full. And I was surprised that I wore alabaster…lighter than I thought I would be so it's definitely one to actually try on….

• BarcelonaChair says:

>t bothers me too that there isn't adequate shades for deep complexions. It is such an antiquated way of producing a make up company. It reminds me of the days when I first started wearing makeup (15 years ago) when I went to almost every high end counter and they sales associates would just shrug when I was looking for a shade that would suit me (NC45).

I don't buy from Chantecaille. Not their lipsticks, eye shadows….absolutely nothing. Not until they cater to deeper skin persons. I used to boycott other brands like Chanel,Dior and YSL but they have stepped up to the plate with shade range.

I still can't believe in 2010, some companies still believe darker skinned persons are not a viable consumer.

rant over….
    Thanks for the post Karla!! You do a great job!

• Robin says:

>Very excited about the advent of Porcelain, and the fact that it is neutral. Even though they claim Alabaster is neutral, on me it still leaned just a hair towards yellow (and I am pretty much a true neutral). Alabaster was fine for summer, but for winter, I think Porcelain might be better for me (and perhaps for you, too :-) ). Thanks so much for swatching these!

• peachgirl says:

>Errrr…I don't know what to say but unless you've transformed into Casper the friendly ghost I'd place you (and me) as "alabaster" based on these swatches.
    However; I do think $68 is too steep…

• Joslynn says:

>Future Skin is definitely not medium-full coverage. I'd say it's sheer-medium, buildable to medium.

• Euridice says:

>Thanks, this was very informative!I have never tried Chantecaille so this is really interesting. I like the way they do the skin tones but yes, they do need to finish the line buy getting the darker shades going.

• Monica says:

>Will check this out! But the $68 price tag sounds reasonable for this company, yes its steep but considering their creams are so expensive. I probably wouldn't purchase though:)

• PlatinumV says:

>Here I have a problem. Judging from the pic, I would have said that porcelain, alabaster, vanilla and she are "pink tones", while you say those are neutral. While Ivory seems to me a bit too reddish. I thought pink tones was referring to cool undertones and of course, a colour with reddish finish can't have a cool undertones. So, where is the truth?
    V

• Figure 5 says:

Your descriptions, swatches, and reviews are incredibly helpful. Thank you.

• Maha says:

Hi Karla
    Thank you for such an informative site, it has helped me a lot since I have discovered it. Your reviews and comment are truly appreciated.
    Have a wonderful and blissful year ahead.

Much love