MAC Give Me Liberty of London

I think I just discovered my latent Anglophilia, because MAC totally has my number with their latest collection.

Liberty of London is a department store in England, specializing in modernized hippie prints. The packaging is adorable, so not only do I want to buy it all, I have the odd desire to save and display the boxes.

The eyeshadows ($14.50) were my least favorite. It’s partly because these aren’t colors I would usually wear, and partly because the two matte shades are so typical of that finish. Give Me Liberty of London and Free to Be were both relatively unpigmented, and I really had to build my swatches. (And compare Give Me Liberty of London to Pen ‘n’ Pink.) Dame’s Desire is (of course) a repromote from the Dame Edna collection — it’s a frost, but not frosty. Birds and Berries was the standout, in my opinion: an impressive (though frosty) teal. It’s more blackened and a little more teal than Strike a Pose from Love that Look. Bough Grey was a little more blue (and a little more industrial looking) than I expected. Still, less blue than Scene.
MAC, Liberty of London, swatches, Give Me Liberty of London, Free to Be, Dame's Desire, Birds and Berries, Bough Grey, Blue India, Vestral White
Blue India nail polish was an early favorite from the collection. I did a hasty manicure so you could see what that looks like on nails. It’s a complex and interesting shade, but not my favorite for my skin color. Vestral White has been repromoted a few times, most recently with Hello Kitty. It’s a stark white creme. These are $12 each, and both are opaque in two coats.
MAC, Liberty of London, Blue India, swatches
Oh how I loved the lips. Ever Hip is a pinky coral — the shade you’re seeing everywhere for spring (more on that in another post, I think). Peachstock is a permanent shade, a nudifying peach. Petals and Peacocks is glowing, electrifying fuchsia. Man, that is a strong blue-violet. Blooming Lovely is lavender. Click here to refresh your memory of Lavender Whip or Lavender Whip and Fashion Mews. I wish I owned these to do a side-by-side.

Frankly Fresh (which I love) is a soft tea rose. Perennial High Style (which I also love) is a bright coral. English Accents is pale cool pink. A Different Groove is burgundy brown (blackberry jam?) with gold sparkles. All the lip products are $14.
MAC, Liberty of London, swatches, Ever Hip, Peachstock, Petals and Peacocks, Blooming Lovely, Frankly Fresh, Perennial High Style, English Accents, A Different Groove
The collection includes two blushes ($18.50) and two beauty powders ($25). Dirty Plum is back — as a matte this time (it was a satin in Riveting). I also adored darling, peachy Prim and Proper.

Shell Pearl is a repromote (seen first in Sundressing, and most recently in one of the “Look in a Box” sets from Graphic Garden), but I’m very glad for the chance to pick it up. It’s a gorgeous, glowy highlighter that’s neither metallic nor sparkly. Lilacky pink Summer Rose originally appeared in Rose Romance (and I found I was able to use it as a subtle blush) — and there’s no embossed flower this time.
MAC, Liberty of London, swatches, Dirty Plum, Prim and Proper, Shell Pearl, Summer Rose
I usually do “maximum volume” swatches with dense triangle sponges to show (1) how pigmented the blush CAN be, and (2) to illustrate the sometimes subtle differences between shades. This time, I felt that maybe lighter swatches would do these products more justice. The first picture was swatched with less dense sponges and a lighter hand (though you’ll probably apply them lighter-still on your own cheeks). Dirty Plum is still VERY pigmented, and you’ll have to use it carefully. The second picture is “at maximum volume.”
EDIT: I wasn’t sure my arm swatches captured the full loveliness of Prim & Proper, but CurstCait very graciously agreed to let me post her picture. This blush looks so utterly charming on the cheeks!
MAC, swatches, Prim and Proper
I have no pictures yet, but the collection also includes a patterned small bag ($25), a medium bag ($30), and a scarf ($95. Ow.).

MAC Give Me Liberty of London: Ever Hip, Peachstock, Petals and Peacocks, Blooming Lovely, Frankly Fresh, Perennial High Style, English Accents, A Different Groove, Give Me Liberty of London, Free to Be, Dame’s Desire, Birds and Berries, Bough Grey, Bough Gray, Dirty Plum, Prim and Proper, Shell Pearl, Summer Rose, Blue India, Vestral White

29 Responses to “MAC Give Me Liberty of London”

• Elvira says:

I really like the lighter blush swatches!
    And that Scarf at $99 is a total joke. It’s not even pretty. :-(

• Amy says:

Thank you thank you thank you for posting these now! And I agree with Elvira (I usually do)–the lighter swatches look lovely.

• Ellen says:

Can you tell me the difference between the Shell Pearl Beauty Powder and Perfect Topping?

I own Perfect Topping, which I love. Shell Pearl looks nice too!

Do I need them both?

Thanks!

• Shimmergrass says:

is bough grey comparable to anything from the permanent collection?

• Chantal says:

I’m glad they ditched the (albeit gorgeous!) rose pattern for this release of Summer Rose BP. I have it from Rose Romance, and I eventually had to scrap it off because of weird hardening issues (I could no longer pick up product with ANY brush). It’s a beautiful color and delicately pigmented–great if you’re pale and don’t want to accidentally look like a clown.

• evie says:

would shell pearl show up on NC30 skintone? tia :) I love the prim and proper blush in this collection

• Blair says:

Thank for the swatches!!! Summer Rose is definitely entering my cart :)

• Vicki says:

I really like it when you do two different swatches, the one that is more lifelike helps me a lot.

• Anitacska says:

Luckily for me and my credit card I only want Ever Hip l/s and Shell Pearl beauty powder. :)

• Tish says:

Your swatches always burn a hole in my wallet!!!! So pretty!

• stephanie says:

just dirty plum for me this go round.

• Eliza says:

hahah i cant wait to purchase theses! the packaging is gorgeous!! :D

• Victoria Sun says:

uh oh… I think this will be the MAC collection that will break my low buy. Ever Hip, Peachstock, and Prim and Proper are all calling my name!!

• L says:

specializing in modernized hippie prints

Not even close.

The company was founded in 1875 to sell decorative items from Japan & India. Its print catalog (including the prints used in this collection) date back to Art Nouveau designs commissioned especially for the store & for which Liberty’s name is synonymous (in Italy, Art Nouveau is known as “stile Liberty”).

• garnetstorm says:

I love this collection and have been waiting eagerly since I first saw the early promo pics. I already have my items on their way from Nordstrom. Now, if I can only find the bags …

Thanks, L. My analysis of the Liberty of London brand was a compilation of what I could glean from their site and the web at large.

I’d love to learn more about their history. May I ask you to direct me to your source?

• Jenn says:

I think I’m going to pick up a backup for Ever Hip! It totally reminds me of a toned town version of Lancome’s Chris and Tell.

• Petra says:

Jenn, that was what it reminded me as well. :)

• Ann says:

I’m getting Birds & Berries and Ever Hip … I might get one of the beauty powders as well, but I probably shouldn’t!

• HT says:

It was hard for me, but I limited myself as much as I could. I almost wanted to get the whole collection! Ever since my best friend and I went to London and toured Liberty (as part of a class– it was amazing!!!), we’ve been obsessed. I got her a few things for her birthday, too. :D

• I’m seriously excited for shell pink and prim and proper, and a couple of the lipsticks. Surprisingly for me, only 1 of the eyeshadows catches me eye – bough grey.

• Tiffany says:

This is one of those collections where the packaging is making me want the products more than I actually do (though I’m not attracted to the bags and scarf). Either way, I like Birds & Berries + Blue India.

• The more I watch swatches from this collection, the more I like it! :D

• Jackie says:

thanks to you i bought ever hip, blooming lovely, bough grey, and birds & berries :)

• amandakelly says:

I love a different groove lipglass! I’m fair, I think NC25 ish with light eyes and very light hair. Would this be too intense for me? I’m going to try some when I get the chance!

• jenny says:

does anyone know if the dirty plum is the same color as dirty plum of the liberty of london? I know one is matte and the other satin, but is there much difference?

thanks:)

• Meilily says:

I just picked up Prim and Proper at The Company Store and it’s a really pretty blush – definitely can be more pigmented depending how you apply it. Great light and intense swatches!