Nubar Fortress Collection

I must confess: this nail polish collection confuses me. The shades are chic, definitely on-trend — but would you buy 8 shades of grey at once?

Marble Tower, Citadel, Barricade, Palisade, and Stronghold are cremes. Silver Sword and Dark Castle are shimmers. And Knight’s Armor is a completely awesome, dense black-and-silver glitter. (I am so enamored of Nubar’s glitters right now.)

You start noticing subtle variations, swatching grey polishes side by side. Certain shades are cooler (more blue), and the warmer shades look slightly green by comparison. I started wondering if bluer Marble Tower would look better on one skintone; Citadel on another. Likewise with bluer/cooler Palisade and warmer Barricade.
Nubar, Fortress, swatches, Marble Tower, Citadel, Barricade, Palisade, Stronghold, Black Sword, Dark Castle, Knight's Armor
Tonal creme polishes inspire me to attempt an “ombre” manicure (a graduated color shift from one nail to the next; kind of like MAC’s “dip-dyed” blushes). Check out these stellar illustrations at All Lacquered up.

You can also get crafty like snaphappy. She made her own grey-on-grey manicure (which I love) using American Apparel Factory Grey and Rescue Beauty Lounge Concrete.
American Apparel, Factory Grey, Rescue Beauty Lounge, RBL, Concrete
American Apparel, Factory Grey, Rescue Beauty Lounge, RBL, Concrete
Nubar polishes are vegan, cruelty-free, and “big three” free (formaldehyde, phthalate (DBP), and toluene free).

The Fortress collection polishes are are $7.49 each, or you can buy the set of 8 for $49.95.  The only place I know of to buy Nubar is their website.

10 Responses to “Nubar Fortress Collection”

In case you were wondering, Snaphappy made her dots using a dotting tool (which you can pick up at any craft store). It looks a bit like a dentist’s implement — it’s a double-ended “toothpick” tool but the tips are covered with little metal balls, for perfect dot-making.

• BeckBeck says:

I wonder if this is meant to be a “there’s a gray for everyone” type collection rather than one where you buy the whole set and wear them all.

• Kathy says:

Silver Sword and Dark Castle are pretty, but I’ll admit, I don’t see the appeal of pale gray matte polish. It reminds me of when I was in middle school and we’d paint our nails with liquid paper because we we’re allowed to wear nail polish.

Oh, none of these are matte. The cremes are all glossy.

• Marce says:

I looove these! I don’t know if I’d get all at once but I’d def pick up one or two (or three)!

• Erica says:

I love these! Grey is my favorite shade of polish, and I’ve been searching for the perfect pale grey. I can’t find them on the site – do you know when they’ll be available?

• Sabrina says:

I agree with you Karla – kinda an odd collection of colors. But they look so nice on your arm! Looks like it would be a great color theme for repainting one of my rooms :)

Erica — they should be online today! *fingers crossed*

CS said they have product ready to ship, but some glitch (in the matrix) prevented their website from cooperating.

• raquel says:

I don’t think they are available online yet!!! Urggggg, I. Need. Knight’s Armor. NOW!

• Haha, you can call me crazy but I’d buy the lot! I LOVE THEM! They’re gorgeous! I didn’t like CG Recycle on its own, but greys are gorgeous for doing gradients or konad! <3