Brush Breakthrough? Ecotools Angled Liner vs. Ms. Makeup

I’ve mentioned before that my preferred eyeliner brush is the angled liner (as opposed to the “pencil” or “needlepoint” styles).  My absolute favorite is Ms. Makeup’s (obsessively photographed here) — I love everything about it.  Bristle length, width, and height are all perfect in my opinion.

The only trouble is that Ms. Makeup is not the most accessible brand.  You might find it in Big Lots (if you’re lucky), but I’ve heard that the only place to reliably find it is Long’s on the west coast.

Ms. Makeup is one of the brands owned by Paris Presents. They also produce Ms. Manicure, Ms. Pedicure, Ecotools, Studio Basics, and those new blue-and-white brushes you’ll find in Walmart (I have a post on those coming up this week).  While all of those brush brands make an angled liner, none of them looks like Ms. Makeup’s.  Until now?

Ecotools just redesigned its angled liner (and its blush brush!).  Their new angled liner has shorter bristles for better control, and a narrower… footprint (for a finer line).  If you’ve been unable to find the Ms. Makeup brush, I think the Ecotools would make a great alternative — plus it’s cruelty-free and eco-conscious. The handle is bamboo, the ferrule is recycled aluminum, and the bristles are synthetic.
Ecotools, Ms. Makeup, angled liner, brush
Enhance!
Ecotools, Ms. Makeup, angled liner, brush
Ecotools, Ms. Makeup, angled liner, brush
Ecotools, Ms. Makeup, angled liner, brush

8 Responses to “Brush Breakthrough? Ecotools Angled Liner vs. Ms. Makeup”

• Kristina says:

I haven’t seen the new EcoTools eyeliner brush, but the old version, while nice-feeling, produced a line that was too thick for my hooded lids – all you could see was the eyeliner. My all-time favorite eyeliner brush that I’ve ever tried for creating the finest possible line is the Sephora brand (black handled) angled liner brush (#15). I highly recommend it to anyone still looking for the thinnest possible line – it’s inexpensive and wonderful :) I have two and am still hoping to get more!

• Haha, you said “enhance”! Love it! I actually need to do a drug store run & hunt some of these down- I hear the buffer/kabuki is great also! Thanks for the heads up on the liner brush!

• Mimi says:

I’m curious to see how big of a difference there is in the new vs. old Ecotools brush. Have you ever tried artist’s brushes for eyeliner? My favorite gel/cream liner brush is actually the 1/8 Angeled Shader from La Corneille (Loew Cornell). You can get crazy detailed with it.

• Anglea says:

I think I’ve seen the Ms. Makeup brush at Bed Bath & Beyond (which sells tons of cosmetics now) and noticed how thin it was; looked great for doing precise lines.

I have used angled liner brushes before (MAC 266 and EcoTools), but am hooked on the Sonia Kashuk bent eyeliner brush. Sooo precise and easy to use. And because the head is bent, you can get really close to the mirror to do your makeup.

• Nicolle says:

I have the Ms. Makeup brush and I think I bought it at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. It is my favorite eyeliner brush for gels and creams but I like my Essential Tools angled shadow brush for powders because the bristles are denser.

Bed Bath and Beyond! Genius! I’m totally going to see whether mine carries Ms. Makeup. Thanks, Angela!

• Piper says:

Thank you very much for the review, I definitely can see the difference in the photos as well. Nice!!

• Melinda says:

I bought my Ms. Makeup angle brush at Target back 2006. I think they stop selling them sometime late 2007 or 2008.