Edward Bess Lipstick

I’m sure you know by now that Edward Bess is boutique makeup brand, available only in Bergdorf Goodman in NYC and on his website. I had the chance to swatch a bit of the line during a recent (and too brief) layover in New York.

At this time, Bess’s sole lipstick formula is called Ultra Slick lipstick. I’m not entirely sure why it’s named that — the colors seem creamy and offer medium-to-full coverage, but the words “Ultra Slick” didn’t spring to mind as I swatched them.  There are 14 shades. If I were taller I could have fit them all on one arm.
Edward Bess, lipstick, swatches, Sundown, Nude Lotus, Pure Impulse, Natural Attraction, Natural Seduction, Secret Desire, Forbidden Flower, Night Orchid, Tender Love, Deep Lust, Forever Yours, Night Romance
Edward Bess, lipstick, swatches, Midnight Bloom, Eternal Passion
The lipsticks are $32 each, and are supposed to be fig-scented. The lipsticks did not have a very strong fragrance (but I suspect this might be a result of tester de-scenting, because the lipglosses are VERY strongly fragranced). The fig scent is also different from Estee Lauder’s fig scent.

Sundown is a yellow-brown that reminded me of MAC Siss (and Thai iced tea). Nude Lotus is a nude peach beige. Pure Impulse is a slightly mauvey pink. Natural Attraction is a warm caramel-rose brown, Natural Seduction is a warm yellow brown. Secret Desire is a natural, somewhat muted, peachy peach-pink. Forbidden Flower is lighter and peachier than Secret Desire. Night Orchid is a strong pink coral. Tender Love is mauve (and I have a very hard time telling it apart from Forever Yours).  Maybe Forever Yours is just slightly more berry, and Tender Love just a bit more red/rose. Deep Lust is autumn leaf red-brown. Night Romance is deeper and more clearly berry than Tender Love and Forever Yours. Midnight Bloom and Eternal Passion are both blue-reds, but Midnight Bloom is deeper; Eternal Passion is brighter.

11 Responses to “Edward Bess Lipstick”

• Bronwen says:

I love Midnight Bloom. It’s the only red lipstick I own. Highly recommended for my fellow pale auburn girls.

• Pink Sith says:

I have Tender Love and I can attest that the lipsticks are VERY scented. You can smell the fig scent long after you have applied the lipstick. It’s not a bad thing, I’m just letting you all know that if you are sensitive you might find this hard to deal with. Karla. What Edward Bess products did you buy when you were there? I bet you got a nice little haul!

• Kat says:

You’re right about the tester de-scenting. Fragrance does not typically bother me in lip products, but these are REALLY heavily fragranced. I knew this going in. I was lucky enough to meet Edward himself when I went to Bergdorfs to check these out, and he seemed highly impressed that I new of his line and that the scent was fig. He’s a charmer for sure, and he signed all the products I purchased (his idea, not mine). If you have the opportunity to meet him, do it.

• lmnmakeup says:

Thank you so much Karla for the wonderful lipstick swatches! I’m so glad I ordered Night Orchid, it’s so pretty; I already own Nude Lotus, Pure Impulse, Secret Desire, and Forbidden Flower and I love them al1!

• the truth says:

way overpriced! wow.

• Kylie says:

Thanks so much for doing these swatches! I have Tender Love and Night Romance, and I love them both. I think I will get Night Orchid next. So pretty and feminine looking!

• Jennifer says:

Thank you Karla for swatching these lipsticks. i bought a couple on account of it.

• Beth C says:

Karla, I just wanted to thank you for putting up all of the swatches! I love reading your reviews.

I met Edward today at BG and told him how I knew all of his lipstick colors from reading your blog. He agreed that you take great pictures and then another woman stopped at the counter and said that she saw your pictures too.

Thank you!

• Joan says:

This is the girl who got it right with her swatches! God bless you! At the price of these lipsticks, and when the Edward Bess website does not accurately show the colors, I find myself coming to your page for true color representation. I finally splurged & bought Forever Yours on line & LOVE IT! Your color representation was PERFECT! The lipstick really is wonderful & kinda worth the price, so are the lip glosses. Edward Bess is doing some kind of makeup voodoo because these are the best I’ve used & I’ve been using makeup for 38 years. Thank you Karla!