The Wella Color Experience

Wella professionals, highlightsI think my story is like a lot of people’s: I was blonde as a child, and my hair got darker as I got older (now it’s the same brown as my eyes).

But I like being blonde (or blond-ish). I think it gives me a lift. So I get highlights.

I prefer highlights to all-over color because (1) I think they look more natural, and (2) it’s not quite so obvious when they’re growing out. (I’m lazy about maintenance.)

Well after attending the Wella Professionals event a few weeks ago, I made an appointment with Diana at Salon Pompeo.

I told Diana I wanted to be “bronde” — brown-blonde, natural, been-spending-time-at-the-beach. I knew I wanted warm (golden) blond, not platinum, and I said I wanted to look like Bar Refaeli. Well, as much as possible.
Bar Refaeli
Diana did an amazing job, and the color turned out exactly the way I wanted it. She said she used two different blonds, one brighter than the other. She used just the darker blond at the back (because most peoples’ hair is naturally darker toward the back, where the sun doesn’t bleach it as much), then alternated the two shades on top and around the face.

One of the things I learned at the Wella event was that Wella is less damaging than other color options out there. I have to say, my highlighted hair feels fantastic. From touching it, I wouldn’t even know I’d had any color done at all.

If you’d like to make an appointment with Diana or any of the other colorists at Salon Pompeo, their number is 214-979-0440. Highlights are $100.

7 Responses to “The Wella Color Experience”

• Irene says:

my salon switched to Wella last summer and I’ve been hooked ever since. It really is fantastic!

• blusherine says:

your hair came out great, bronde! :-) When I go to the hairdresser I always say i want to look like Jennifer Aniston! :-) one hairdresser once replied he had to perform surgery on my head first to shape it like hers, how rude! :-) )

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Karla, it looks beautiful. And who needs Bar Rafaeli anyway?!?

• Leslie says:

I love the highlights and the curls! I’ll search for a Wella salon in my area.

• Kimberley says:

Wow it looks so great. My hair has just been highlighted and it’s a bit sad… good luck!

• Deborah says:

You look wonderful, even from the back!

I know you know that every single hair color company would say their color is less harmful, so unless Wella gives some legitimate scientific studies to support, to me it’s in the same category as all the “facts” from all the companies, who have made billions from women by claiming that their newest serum or moisturizer or cream or lotion will roll back the signs of aging or some other claim…it’s all unsubstantiated. If all their earlier versions did what they said, then why would they need new ones? It’s all about hope and hype and, most of all, money. Imagine if other consumer goods made the promises which cosmetic companies make..”this car will reduce the appearance of fine lines” and “make you look ten years younger” and “lift and firm” your whatever. We’d laugh and wouldn’t believe them…but with cosmetics the claims go unchallenged by consumers and regulatory agencies, for the most part..except for a few truth-tellers like Paula Begoun and Consumer Reports. Okay, getting off my soapbox now…not that I would use soap on my face :)

• Tracey says:

If I were to be a muse, I would want to have done so for the late Kevyn Aucoin. He was an incredible master with his makeup artistry, his vision to be able to make anyone beautiful, and his ability to formulate innovative products. I’d have begged, paid, groveled to sit in his chair for a day. He is a huge loss in the beauty and fashion industry. I personally would have inspired the perfect oil-absorbing translucent powder that hides pores and blemishes, doesn’t cake, doesn’t accentuate eye lines, and makes one look radiantly flawless. AND I NEED ALL THAT. He’d have named it Tracey’s Traceless Velvet Radiance Powder. Oh, if only to’ve had that opportunity.