Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua displayChanel has a new foundation out, and so far, everybody seems really excited about it. Vitalumiere Aqua is a lightweight-feeling, medium-coverage, naturally luminous, oil-free foundation ($45). It comes in a bottle with a dropper top (a first for Chanel). Shake well before you dispense; it has a surprisingly gel-creme texture. Another first: Chanel has divided the shades into five “intensities,” in two undertones, pink and yellow. Though no concrete plans are on the horizon, I have to assume that they will eventually switch all their foundation formulas over to this nomenclature.

The yellow shades are the “Beige” shades; pink are “Beige Rose.” My best match was B10 (Beige – Pastel), but I almost felt I could get away wearing BR10. This foundation kind of melds with your skin as you blend it.

Every sales associate I’ve talked to so far has recommended applying with fingers, then finishing with a brush or sponge (as needed).
Chanel, Vitalumiere Aqua, swatches, Beige, Beige Rose, Pastel, Tendre, Sable, Desert, Sienne, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar

23 Responses to “Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua”

• shadowy lady says:

u know what’s weird? In Canada these come in B (beige), BR (beige rose) and BA (beige Amber). I got B30 which is slightely too dark and also not peachy enough for me. Yet BA30 is waaaay too dark and we don’t get BR20 or BA20 here in Canada.

So confusing!

• Kate says:

I wonder if we have these in B10 or BR10.. Do you know if it’s suitable for dry (or dehydrated) skin, especially if it has dry patches? And does it contain alcohol? I want to try it, but I’m afraid it will emphasise some problems (like dryness) and won’t cover some redness I have.

• Evelyn says:

wow that BR10 is amazingly pink on you! or it’s my screen. It seems so nice to try it out.

• Katie says:

I just bought this! I stopped by for the regular Vitalumière, actually, but the lightest shade was not a match. The SA recommended this one instead. BR10 is an excellent shade match for me — the finish is matte, and even though I was afraid it would be too drying (I have dry skin), it isn’t at all — and it stays matte all day. I love it!

• Even though “Beige” are consider yellow, I find it to oxidize due to humidity and oxygen to be more pinkish orange.

• I really want to try this foundation but it’s so expensive here :(

• michelle says:

I received (3) sample packets at Nordstrom this past Saturday, and tried is yesterday. It is wonderful! I already use Pro Lumiere and the compact version of Chanel foundations, but I will DEFINITELY be purchasing this Friday.

Do use your finger tips to apply and a little goes a LONG WAY. I found no need to set with powder and I didn’t need to use their concealer, which was another benefit to this foundation’s coverage.

• Kelly C. says:

I have been stalking the Chanel counter at Macy’s waiting for these to come in. I’d really like to try it, as no other Chanel foundation has really worked out for me. I hope it is not too matte, though.

• Eileen says:

Like you, Karla, I was somewhere in-between B10 and BR10 so the SA gave me two samples of each so I could see how both colors looked with some of my different blushers. Unfortunately, about the time that I was settling on B10, my skin was beginning to develop a bit of a rash. :-( My unfortunate experience aside, the foundation is really lovely. It ‘s definitely “finger paint”. I applied it with my fingers and only used a brush around my nose where pores are evident. The coverage is sheer but can be built up in areas like under the eyes, around the nose, or any place where you might have some redness. It dries to a long-lasting, velvet finish that makes the skin look smooth and luminous. How I wish I could wear this foundation!

• Lucy says:

How would this one compare to the no. 2 Armani Luminous Silk foundation which I have tested and loved on my MAC NC15 slightly dry skin?

• Gail says:

@Kate, Yes, alcohol is way up there on the ingredient list.

• Annc says:

Karla could you post the ingredient list for this foundation my skin is so allergic to many things thanks

• constance says:

Thank you! *grovels* These are so useful. I’ve seen BA (beige amber) in some countries. I wonder what undertone is that? Even more yellow? Hope so because everything seems on the pink side.

• Gail says:

@Annc, here are the ingredients as posted on MUA Product Reviews:
    Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 6%, Titanium Dioxide 5.6% Other Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Isododecane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Acrylates/Polytrimethysoloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Alumina, Aluminum Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Parfum (Fragrance), Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Water, Methylparaben, Triethoxycaprylysilane, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipropylene Glycol, Polyeurethane-15, BHT, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben /- May Contain: CI77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica

• Kelley says:

It looks like I’m going to have the same problem with this Chanel foundation as I have most of their current ones. The shades are just too pink and/or orangey.

• rosa says:

Could you swatch the beige colors side by side and the rose colors side by side?Please?? Thanks!!

• Annc says:

@Gail thank you so much

• xiao says:

I feel like I’m the only one who’s “meh” about this foundation. I tried it out at my regular chanel counter this afternoon and I feel like it makes me look like a plastic mannequin.

• Anonne says:

So the shades are, essentially, “white, and whiter” – darker skinned people need not apply.

• andrea says:

anyone know how this compares to MUFE Face and Body?

• jaynex says:

anyone can help me to choose which one the best for my super dry skin.. vitalumiere Aqua or Vitalumière????

• Lola says:

I agree with Kate and Kelley… Although I love the formula, I find the shades lacking. They’re always too pink or orange and none a good match for my yellow undertone. That’s too bad because I really love Chanel foundations.