Michael Todd Creme Lipsticks

Interesting story about these swatches. As you might already know, I’ve been lucky enough to swatch all of Stars Makeup Haven’s eyeshadows so far. The only place to buy SMH products (other than starsmakeuphaven.com) is All Cosmetics Wholesale (allcosmeticswholesale.com).

Well I was talking to the folks at ACW, and they asked me if I’d be willing to swatch some of the other products they sell. As you know, I can’t turn down a swatch-pertunity.

ACW carries a brand called Michael Todd Cosmetics, and they suspected people weren’t buying because they weren’t familiar with the brand.

I confess, I’d never heard of them either, so I did a little online research. As far as I can tell, Michael Todd Cosmetics is the collaboration of model/actor Michael Todd (born Adam Kaye; I looked him up on imdb.com, but came up empty-handed) and Lewis Hendler, co-founder of hair brand scunci. They seem to pride themselves on the number of products they offer, and the number of pages long their online catalog is.

So I started my swatching in an amused-but-skeptical frame of mind.

I started with MT’s Creme lipsticks (one of four formulas, though his website — curiously — lists only three).
Michael Todd Cosmetics, swatches, creme lipstick, Bone, Pink Lady, Perpetual, Lace, Silk, Intrigue, Pout, Blondie
My first reaction was a flashback to Steel Magnolias: “Your colors are pink and pink.” Not an entirely fair reaction, as MT’s website offers thirty shades (list price: $16) and ACW sells a subset of those (for $9.99 each). These eight are ACW’s shades.

The Creme lipsticks are kind of the opposite of what I would normally choose for myself (I gravitate toward sheer formulas with a lot of “slip” because I like the moisture and low-maintenance), so I was surprised to find that I like them. These are full coverage and nearly matte, but not drying. They’re unscented, and holy mackerel are they long-wearing.

The lipsticks come in a surprisingly tiny tube, but the size of the product seems the same as any other lipstick.
Michael Todd, lipstick
Michael Todd, lipstick
I do plan to give these away (so you guys can try them), but this seemed like an unusual opportunity to do lip swatches, I thought I’d do those first.

11 Responses to “Michael Todd Creme Lipsticks”

• diann_co says:

I’d love to see a swatch on lips so we could see how they cover.

• Diane C says:

Pretty! I like Lace and Blondie.

• LU says:

The lipsticks look nice but I’m not a fan of that purple packaging!

• andromeda says:

pretty colours but the purple packaging looks cheesy!

• Tiffany says:

Ooh, I like the swatches. Maybe I’ll try out a couple of them, $9.99 isn’t bad.

• Nicole says:

I love you Karla!I have been eyeing off the Michael Todd lippies on ACW but haven’t purchased due to not knowing what colours were available (company swatches are never good!). Will definitely re-look at those again! Thanks for all the incredible swatching work you do!

• Laura says:

Lace looks gorgeous. I think I need it :-)

• tab says:

Def do lip swatches! I’d love to see those please..

• Phyrra says:

I would love to see how Bone and some of the other shades translate to the lips.

• Lisa says:

I really want to purchase michael todd lipstick blondie. How do i go about that?

I just checked out Michael Todd’s website, and it looks like they’ve gotten out of the color cosmetics biz entirely, shifting their focus to skincare.

Blondie is still available on All Cosmetics Wholesale (she ships to the U.S. and internationally, I believe), but I’d act quickly. It looks like all MT cosmetics are on clearance: http://www.allcosmeticswholesale.com/product/MTBLONDIE/SALE—MICHAEL-TODD-Creme-Lipstick—Blondie.html