NARS Spring 2012

NARS, spring 2012, promoNARS’ spring collection officially launches on counters on February 1 (and it’s already available online). Based on the promo photo, it looks like a sweltering hot spring. I think by now we’re used to NARS marching to the beat of its own drummer; I’m not even going to try to shoehorn this collection into “seasonal trends.”

Eyeshadow trio Douce France (named after a 1942 song by French singer-songwriter Charles Trenet) includes a satin/matte pale white pink with very tiny silver sparkles (it would be matte, but the sparkles give it a satin finish), a warm carnation pink, and a very nicely pigmented matte cranberry. It’s $45, limited edition.

Paramaribo eyeshadow duo (named after the capital of the Republic of Suriname, the smallest independent country in South America and a former Dutch colony. Where are you NOW, Carmen Sandiego?) includes a frosty yellow-lime and a shimmery browned golden olive. The duo is $34, also limited edition.

It’s a good thing Lhasa is permanent, because otherwise I’d expect it to cause a riot. It’s a shimmery grey-purple, $24. The shadow is named after the high-altitude Tibetan city, home to several major Buddhist temples.
NARS, spring 2012, swatches, Douce France, Paramaribo, Lhasa, Dark Rite, Abbey Road, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
There’s a new, permanent Soft Touch Shadow Pencil: sheeny cobalt blue Dark Rite. It’s $24, and NARS recommends wearing it as shadow, as base for powder shadow, or as eyeliner.

The collection also repromotes Larger Than Life eyeliner Abbey Road (peacock blue, $23).

NARS, Bilbao lipstick, Greek Holiday lipglossSpring offers three lip choices, all new additions to the permanent line. Bilbao lipstick ($24, named after the city in Spain) is a warm brown-rose with a subtle sheen. It’s not a color I would normally swoon over, but it looks great paired with gloss.  Here’s a photo from a recent NARS makeover: Bilbao lipstick with Greek Holiday lipgloss.

Valparaiso Pure Matte Lipstick ($25, named after the city in Chile) is a red-violet-berry.

Mexican Rose Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil ($24, named after the flower) is a bright, warm, watermelon pink, my favorite color so far of this formula. It’s slightly staining, so color carefully.
NARS, spring 2012, swatches, Bilbao, Valparaiso, Mexican Rose, Diamond Life, Ecume, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
There are two nail polishes in the spring collection. Diamond Life is limited edition, a shimmery pansy purple. Ecume (white creme) is a repromote. Both are $18.

There’s also a new, permanent addition to NARS’ blush lineup: cool, whitened, frozen-pink-with-super-tiny-silver-shimmers Gaiety. It’s $28, and I wish I owned the discontinued Chanel Narcisse so I could compare the two.

The collection also repromotes Albatross, the lovely, shimmery, permanent, white/gold highlighter. It’s also $28.
NARS, spring 2012, swatches, Gaiety, Albatross, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
What will you be picking up from this collection?

15 Responses to “NARS Spring 2012”

• Chiara says:

Paramaribo is very pretty!

• Taj says:

Def getting Lhasa, and maybe the e/s duo and nude l/s.

• Jeffrey says:

Was interested in the e/s trio and single until seeing this post. They appear flatter than i expected. The duo, however, has stolen my heart!!

• Fran says:

I’m so getting Lhasa and Paramaribo!

• Nana says:

Gaiety is soooooooo pretty :D

• Marie says:

Douce France and Paramaribo! So pretty!

• Katie says:

I’m so sad! I wanted to buy Paramaribo, but another website described it as a bronze duo and the swatches supported that description, so I didn’t buy it. Going by your swatches, though, I’m back to “have to have it.” I did buy Gaiety (which I LOVE) and Bilbao, which I’m “eh” on, because it doesn’t show up on my lips at all. Lhasa is also a must buy going by your swatch. And Diamond Life is gorgeous! I’m obviously going to have to start relying on your swatches instead, Karla!

• Jo says:

Love the e/s trio and duo-Valparaiso looks beautiful!
    How does gaiety compare to desire?

• Bisbee says:

I got Mexican Rose – it’s much more than “slightly staining”, which would be a good thing, except the color turned quite garish on me…

But the Lhasa is beautiful!

• Gah, Gaiety is so gorgeous!!! I want it very badly, but I have so many other cool toned pinks. This one looks extra special though.

Are any of these dupes? (MAC)Well Dressed, Pink Swoon, Azalea Blossom, Play it Proper BP, Hang Loose MB. (NARS) Desire, Angelika, New Order.

I looked at the blush recaps, but it didn’t really look like there were dupes there.

Thanks in advance!

• Anonne says:

Diamond Life… aw c’mon, that’s Sade!! And it looks awesome.

Dark Rite and Mexican Rose are calling, hard! Paramaribo looks better on your swatch than it does in the official pics. I’m not sure how I feel about Lhasa, for my skin tone. The trio looks too flat for my taste.

• Tiffany says:

I’ve been eyeing Lhasa since it showed up on NARS’ website, and your swatch confirms that I must have it. Thinking about picking up Diamond Life too.

• Amanda says:

Valparaiso Pure Matte Lipstick looks good, although seems very similar to Scarlett Empress…?