Cle de Peau Cheek Color Duo

Cle de Peau, Cheek Color Duo, blushI’ve been meaning to swatch Cle de Peau’s blushes since my impromtu CdP makeover. These blushes are exactly the kind that confuse me. Not only are there two shades to contend with, but the larger pan is mottled. Honestly, whenever there’s more than one color of powder in the pan, I have no idea how the blush is going to turn out.

There are several ways to use the Cheek Color Duos. You can use the two shades together (which is what I think I would do). You can use just the mottled shade as a blush. You can use the light shade as a highlight (cheek, brow). You can also use the light shade to sweep a semi-circle over the top edge of your blush. One of the sales associates strongly preferred this method; he felt that contouring was the blush’s intended purpose.

For each shade, I first swatched the two pans individually, with sponge-tipped applicators (which make a very heavy swatch), then blended them together with a triangle sponge to make a heavy blush swatch. I find that mixing in the highlight color lightens (or modifies) the blush color, and adds “glow” (in the form of uber-fine shimmer). If you don’t want that glow, or you prefer the color of the larger pan alone, don’t mix.
Cle de Peau, Cheek Color Duo, blush, swatches, 1, 2, 3, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
The quality of these powders seems really excellent. Finely milled, and quite lovely. Blush 1 (far and away the best seller) is a natural beige-pink. Sales associates said this shade was universal, and gave everyone a healthy, sunkissed glow. The highlight shade is cream colored.

Blush 2 is a muted, terracotta peach-pink (the highlight is slightly peachy pink beige). Blush 3 is the coolest pink (with a white-pink highlight).
Cle de Peau, Cheek Color Duo, blush, swatches, 4, 5, KarlaSugar, Karla Sugar
Blush 4 is NARS Orgasm-esque. It’s warm pink with gold (and a buttermilk highlight). Blush 5 is golden brown — perhaps more bronzer than blush. Its highlight is golden sand.

The pans of this product (the refills, essentially) are $47 each. The empty, refillable case is $40 (I found a few for sale on eBay, but not with substantial savings) — so your first blush purchase could cost you $87. I’d be tempted to buy the powder alone.

And an interesting piece of trivia: Cle de Peau is owned by Shiseido, as are NARS and Serge Lutens cosmetics.

10 Responses to “Cle de Peau Cheek Color Duo”

• Thanks for the review. Will put this on the OH’s Tokyo shopping list.

• Chantal says:

I wish more high-end brands would sell in pan form; especially the ones with unimpressive packaging. It would be great for artists and those who prefer large mix-and-match palettes.

Compared to cheaper brands, Dior and Chanel packaging is nice; but now that I have some truly beautiful items (from Guerlain, for example) I can’t look at it the same way. I’d rather pay less and not have to deal with the plasticky compacts for my Chanel JCs and Dior quints.

But why is the Cle de Peau compact $40? How nice does it look in person? Unless it’s really solid and beautiful, I can’t imagine how they think it’s worth so much!

• Eileen says:

I have a several things by Clé de Peau and Chantecaille and never purchase the outlandishly priced cases; especially given the rather unattractive, run-of-the-mill design of them. The sturdy plastic packages that the “refills” come in work perfectly well for me. I’d much rather save my money to buy more make-up goodies.

• Eileen says:

Hi Chantal,

I’m with you on luxury packaging and never hesitate to pay the extra when it’s something beautiful like Guerlain’s Ecrin 6 Couleurs silver case (I have five of them!) or when it’s unique like the Terra Inca carved wood case. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing special about Clé de Peau’s mundane and rather blah packaging. The product itself; however, is superlative

• Jean says:

Oooh, #1 and #2 are calling my name! But, of course, I need to build up some substantial savings first — whew! I can’t believe how ridiculous CdP’s prices are… although, I have to say that I have loved everything I ever bought from them.
    Do you think the pans could be usable/storeable without purchasing the compact?

As Eileen mentioned, I think the refills come in plastic clamshells… if you’re not keeping the blush in your purse, I would think you could live without the compact.

• luv2smilexo says:

Those are lovely and the trivia piece is very informative :)

• Ethel says:

Yes the refills come in plastic containers. I refused to buy the $40 case so keep mine in empty Altoids boxes. They may not travel safely, but they are ok for home use. I don’t see these as any better than Chantecaille blushes. Also even though I love CLP eyeshadow colors, the formulation collects in my small eye “wrinkles” unlike Chantecaille or La Prairie. Shiseido is a huge company. One thing I do love about CDP is their Extra Silky Lipsticks. Just luscious. Thanks for all you do Karla.

• Melanie says:

Hi Karla, these powders look amazing :) Just a question, I’m not as fair as you but I have a hard time trying to find a highlighter that is light enough to show up.. Usually they just sit there as shimmers.. I’m looking for something that is pigmented enough to show up as a “light” colour.. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks alot!

• Caroline says:

The cases are expensive is just because they come with really good qualities. Unlike western brands with those poor quality applicators that works badly (I just threw them away right after I opened the product), the brushes Clé de Peau Beauté put in the cases are really comfortable and great to use. Since Clé de Peau Beauté doesn’t make brushes any more, those brushes in the cases are for sell individually as well.

Most Japanese brands provides usable applicators in their products – yes, drugstore brands too. And most brands follow “the refillable concept”.

CPB will have their extra silky lipstick line renewed this year, and the lipsticks will become refillable too. Can’t wait to see their new illuminator in person!

Thanks for the amazing swatch Karla! I have the blush duo in 3, and now I’m thinking of getting both 1 and 2!